Going to my first AU football game!!! From Iowa! Info needed!

WDEIowa

To our fans from Iowa .. WELCOME TO AUBURN! Hope you have a wonderful trip and a fabulous visit! You will be surrounded by tens of thousands of your friends, so have a blast! The eagle flies 20 minutes before kickoff, but you should be in your seats a half hour before KO, just to make sure you don't miss it.

Also, on Fridays before home games, at 4 p.m., our Raptor Center has an educational program that features eagles, hawks, owls, falcons etc that's worth a visit. Check AU web site for more details. Raptor Center is part of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the advice guys.  Definitely needed.  We are checking into a hotel on friday and then doing some shopping.  Saturday is all about game day for us.  We will be down early and leaving late!

Going to try to get the Days Inn in shorter.  Awesome price!

Shorter, NOOOOO!!!

Try the Jameson Inn in Alexander City (35 minutes from Auburn).  There is also a Hampton Inn and A Comfort there also, as well as a Best Western (Horseshoe Inn, owned and operated by Auburn alumni).  If you can find a spot on gameday, just park downtown (parking tickets are not written on meters on Saturday) as this will allow you to shop, eat, etc. as well as great access to Toomers Corner after the game.

Whats wrong with shorter?

if you really want to slam extra auburn experiences in while you are down, then check the auburntigers.com web site and see what other athletic events are happening in auburn during that weekend.  i checked for you and the womens BB team is playing at 2:00 on sunday.  That would be simple to get in to and plenty of seats.  you can experience the new auburn arena and see some of the collectibles at the north end of the arena.

btw, find a parking spot, pay whatever it costs and just figure it as a tiny price to pay for extra trip enjoyment.  dont waste alot of time trying to save $5 on parking.  (i am an engineer and would recommend printing out a map of the campus so you know where you are relative to the stadium so you can decide whether a spot is to far away)

if you get there early then you wont feel rushed.  tigerwalk/eagle flight are musts ... rolling toomers also a must.  enjoying walking around campus will fill the remainder of your time.  if you imbibe, then you might want to give that a little thought.  sounds silly, but the watering holes/beer stores are not exactly on every block.

ole miss will be me and my wifes only game this year.  we will do our standard game day routine and am looking forward to it.  i will look like the beach guy who now lives in birmingham ... will you like like you are from iowa ... you know just in case we bump into one another!   :thumbsup:

Have an ex wrestler son, y'all tend to make up for lost time when you don't have to make weight . 

Have a v. good friend from Davenport here in B'ham.

Get a map and do your planning ahead and it works.  Take plenty of time so you will not be in a rush.  Think in increements of 2 hrs

Be in seat at least 30 min. before kick off.

As  to parking, we have a shuttle bus service called Tiger Transit.  They take you a block or so to JH and

pick you up.  Service is Free. You would need to research pick up points.  They run before and after game but I think restricted to 2 hrs before and after. 

The band will come down Donahue about an hr. before kick off and March into stadium.  Nice to see, so is

Tiger Walk on other side of stadium but also on Donahue Drive.

Stop almost anywhere and " WDE and how are you doing ? will get you an invite  for a visit.

Welcome and WDE. 

My AU must:

Toomer's Lemonade

Tiger Walk at Sewell Hall

Toomer's Oaks

Tailgate with new found AU friends

Bring a few glass jars open them and fill them with the air from Auburn.  It is better than anywhere.

:happydance:

rental car = done...named my own price for a full size sedan....13$ per day unlimited miles.

How does this work?  What did the total price end up being?  My buddies and I plan on renting a car for the Arky game. 

My AU must:

Toomer's Lemonade

Tiger Walk at Sewell Hall

Toomer's Oaks

Tailgate with new found AU friends

Bring a few glass jars open them and fill them with the air from Auburn.  It is better than anywhere.

:happydance:

Um, no more Sewell Hall...bulldozed. 

rental car = done...named my own price for a full size sedan....13$ per day unlimited miles.

How does this work?  What did the total price end up being?  My buddies and I plan on renting a car for the Arky game. 

Total price for 4 days was:

13$ per day x 4 = 52$

Tax was around 30$ total

Total was under 85$ for unlimited miles and a full size sedan.  I don't purchase the rental car insurance.  My car insurance covers rentals.  Most full sized cars will run 20-25$ per day, which is why I went with Priceline name your price.  If you want their insurance for peace of mind, add on 11$ per day. 

Got to take in the tailgate....If you wear some Iowa gear, you won't be able to make it far without an invite to join in somewhere.

Got to see the Tigerwalk.

Got to see the pre-game Eagle flight.

Got to go to Tommers after we spank Ole Miss.

Get a sammich from Mama Goldbergs before the game (Optional). Some Toomers lemonade would be good too (Optional).

Also, there is not one person on this board who isn't at least a little jealous.  I would pay handsomely to go back and re-live my first gameday and adventure into JHS.  I can honestly recall exactly what it looked like when we walked out of the tunnel to our seats....on the 2nd of December back in 1989. 

Also, there is not one person on this board who isn't at least a little jealous.  I would pay handsomely to go back and re-live my first gameday and adventure into JHS.  I can honestly recall exactly what it looked like when we walked out of the tunnel to our seats....on the 2nd of December back in 1989. 

That game was your first time?? Wow what a way to start.

wow, what a way to start!  i remember that day vivdly.  my sophmore year at auburn.  heck, i remember the party that night, too!

Go to the Auburn Gameday site and there is a schedule of events for the day, also a campus map.  Tiger Walk is 2hrs prior to gametime.  Make sure you are in the stadium prior to the eagle flight, it is a religious experience.

You have to do Toomers' Leomonade.  

What part of Iowa are you from? My sister & her husband live in Orange City- they

both graduated from Dordt College. Hope you have a great game day experience- I know you will.

War Eagle !!!!!!!!!!

On parking I recently tried out the Parkwhiz that is from the school's website.  It worked out pretty well and gave me the peace-of-mind knowing I didn't have to hunt for a spot.

From '98 until '07 my wife and I would stay at the Hampton Inn in LaGrange, GA, about 45 miles up I-85 from Auburn (we lived in S.C. and it was on the way down) ... nothing special but it was clean and economical, plus LaGrange is big enough to have the usual Outback, Longhorn, etc.  I checked and there are still rooms available and they don't require you to book more than one night..

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=AXZL0ZVG0J2GSCSGBJBMVCQ?ctyhocn=LAGGAHX

What part of Iowa are you from? My sister & her husband live in Orange City- they

both graduated from Dordt College. Hope you have a great game day experience- I know you will.

War Eagle !!!!!!!!!!

I have been all over Iowa - was born and grew up in southern iowa.  Lived in Iowa Falls, IA for 4 years.  Now I live in Norwalk(basically a suburb of Des Moines). 

Hookup with someone on here and definitely get to a tailgate.  Nothing like sitting under the awning of an RV watching the other games, eating some good good and having a few beverages.  I enjoy tailgating almost as much as the games!  

Tiger Walk is awesome.  There's nothing like being on the front row and Chizik running up and high-fiving you.  It'll make you want to suit up.  The only bad part is you'll be so hyped up after and then realize you have another 2 hours until kickoff.  

I am excited for you WDEIowa.  Please come back on after you get back home and share your experiences with us.  We all believe we have something special here and would love some first timers feedback.

Everyone seems to have covered the main attractions.  I would say you should consider eating maybe on Friday after shopping at Cheeburger Cheeburger on college st.  Also Mama Goldbergs sub would be great on game day.

So is TPing Toomer's Corner a BYOTB deal, or will there be plenty of TP to go around? haha. 

Everyone down here calls it "rolling", not TP'ing.  If you ask about TP'ing Toomers, everyone will look at you like you're from Iowa or somewhere!  If you have some rolls, bring em, if not, there will be plenty to go around.

Bring a camera, you'll want to remember this weekend. 

Archived