Seastrunk and potential (if unlikely) Auburn trouble

DyeCampAlum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is so much that was wrong about the whole situation.

1.  Oregon, LSU and Tennessee under investigation for activities tied to Willie Lyles.

2.  Who's next?  (Certainly not AU)

3.  Seemed like the kid's only shot was through football, then Chip Kelly drops him like a bad habit when there's nothing for Oregon to gain by keeping him around.

4.  Auburn didn't just back away from him.  He completely disappeared off the radar.  It was either stated or inferred that LS was trying to call his AU contacts to try to re-establish a committable offer just days before NSD.

All the elements of what's wrong with big time college football.  And every element of why I beleive this staff does it right in terms of compliance.

Uh, Southern Cal.  And check out the reference to Auburn..

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2011-articles/september/report-lache-seastrunk-will-lyles-now-attached-to-tennesee-whats-next-for-lane-kiffin.html

I don't like that we had any connection at all to this kid. 

I've seem people that want to say that Lache was taken advantage of by Lyles. 

Well,  Lache and his mother accepted the plane tickets for an unofficial visit, right?  Did they not know that they were supposed to pay their own way for an unofficial visit to any school?  And, Lyles & Seastrunk jumped through some pretty extraordinary academic hoops to get the kid eligible at Oregon. 

Just from the outside looking in, I'm so glad that our coaches has sense enough to back off this kid, his mother, and his "talent scout".  In hindsight, we have a lot to be thankful for just not having this kid on our roster.

Isn't there a loophole where the kid gets 100% immunity if he tells the NCAA what really happened?  I bet we'll know the whole truth soon.  Does make me nervous that a kid AU was hot after for a long time is mixed up with some dirty dealings, but I feel better knowing AU backed away from him. 

Yeah, but even with immunity look what happened to AU with Cam. If Lache goes to ANY high profile football school, that school is going to be tarred with the same brush that hits the Oregon - Lyles connection. In fact, if Lache went to another high profile football school, I would bet that the new school would hear their name associated with "the dirty recruitment of Lache Seastrunk" more often, over time, than Oregon does.

Isn't there a loophole where the kid gets 100% immunity if he tells the NCAA what really happened?  I bet we'll know the whole truth soon.  Does make me nervous that a kid AU was hot after for a long time is mixed up with some dirty dealings, but I feel better knowing AU backed away from him. 

Yeah, but even with immunity look what happened to AU with Cam. If Lache goes to ANY high profile football school, that school is going to be tarred with the same brush that hits the Oregon - Lyles connection. In fact, if Lache went to another high profile football school, I would bet that the new school would hear their name associated with "the dirty recruitment of Lache Seastrunk" more often, over time, than Oregon does.

I don't see how the NCAA can give him complete immunity if he or his mother accepted benefits prior to his signing his LOI.  Looks like the UT coach paid for their air travel to UT for an unofficial visit.  That's against NCAA rules, is it not?  Of course the NCAA makes up the rules as they go, and it's obvious they are diggin for information on Lyles, so who knows what will happen?

There is so much that was wrong about the whole situation.

1.  Oregon, LSU and Tennessee under investigation for activities tied to Willie Lyles.

2.  Who's next?  (Certainly not AU)

3.  Seemed like the kid's only shot was through football, then Chip Kelly drops him like a bad habit when there's nothing for Oregon to gain by keeping him around.

4.  Auburn didn't just back away from him.  He completely disappeared off the radar.  It was either stated or inferred that LS was trying to call his AU contacts to try to re-establish a committable offer just days before NSD.

All the elements of what's wrong with big time college football.  And every element of why I beleive this staff does it right in terms of compliance.

Uh, Southern Cal.  And check out the reference to Auburn..

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2011-articles/september/report-lache-seastrunk-will-lyles-now-attached-to-tennesee-whats-next-for-lane-kiffin.html

I took it as the writer saying he thinks Auburn backed off due to Lyles having his hand out. Don't think for one second that the NCAA didn't ask him about his Auburn Recruitment.

is a school obligated to turn in a recruit or parent or handler(lyles) for solicitation. in other words can auburn be punished for simply backing off instead of reporting the solicitation(assuming this did happen). if so miss st should be in a world of shat. they not only didnt report anything untill cam signed w/au they continued to recruit him.

I don't see how the NCAA can give him complete immunity if he or his mother accepted benefits prior to his signing his LOI.  Looks like the UT coach paid for their air travel to UT for an unofficial visit.  That's against NCAA rules, is it not?  Of course the NCAA makes up the rules as they go, and it's obvious they are diggin for information on Lyles, so who knows what will happen?

I first heard about this when the Miami stuff came out in August.  The Shapiro guy started squealing and the only way they could verify if what he said was true was to get the recruits to verify the stories.  A few of the recruits who went to other schools (UGA was one I think) were given immunity (eligibility at new school not affected) if they told their side.  Some of them admitted to violations while on recruiting trips to Miami and will not face any punishment.  If Lyles told his side of the story, the NCAA prob contacted Lache and offered a similar deal for his version of the story.  The fact that he's no longer at Oreg tells me he prob said some things that the Ducks would rather keep secret.

I don't think Lyles is finished talking. 

Any kid that was tied to Will Lyles or any of his "runners" will be questioned by the NCAA.  Lyles wasn't the only guy pimping recruits to schools, he had contacts with folks from the east coast to the west coast and all places in between.  Heck, I remeber back a year or two ago when it was rumored that Lyles pretty much had the run of the aTm football facility. 

Willie Lyles didn't organize the recruiting visits and make travel arrangements out of the goodness of his heart.  He wasn't just helping kids get into college because he had a softspot for talented athletes with meager backgrounds.  He's apparently been caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and when Oregon decided to distance themselves from him, it ruined his name in college football circles.  He's got an ax to grind now and he expose several programs when he's done.  LSU, Texas, Tennessee, USC, aTm, Cal, Oregon are big programs that are connected to this guy.

The NCAA apply the rules as they please.

The MIA Mayor Of Chill provided insight into Lache's recruitment. He told of improper things surrounding LS, and his family, or his camp. I don't ever remember him naming names like Lyle's. He also mentioned another issue, but it was more to do with attitude and meshing with the other recruits. That is all I remember though what Mayor shared included much more detail.

Who was that 5* kid that flipped right on NSD? De'Anthony Thomas? He flipped from USC to Oregon...wonder why?

Uhhh.....maybe Oregon outbid USC? It was hailed as a recruiting coup for the Ducks.

Who was that 5* kid that flipped right on NSD? De'Anthony Thomas? He flipped from USC to Oregon...wonder why?

He was told at the last minute where he was going, and it was Oregon.  Chip Kelly paid more than Lane Kiffin for Lyles services.  It'll all come out now that ole Willie is singing like a bird.

Kiffin and Kelly are both dirty.  Always have been.

And people like Lyles and his runners are the instruments those coaches have used for years to do their dirty deeds.

Archived