Message to the membership: response thread

Rednilla

I locked the thread to leave it up indefinitely, but thought it would be a good idea to get responses as well, so here's your chance.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, I thought you all were a little quick on the trigger after yesterday's game. I do appreciate the opportunity to read others comments, even the negative ones. You certainly have the right to ban, delete, reprove, etc. any post you don't like. I truly believe that if you don't allow people to vent a little among the Auburn Family, you want be here long. I know it is free. I have made contributions in the past and I will do so again. I mean no disrespect to anyone here, nor any disrespect to any coach at Auburn. I think that the players deserve to be put in a better position than they are with the current Defensive Coordinator. I hope that he can reevaluate everything, as he said, and we all see a dramatic improvement in our defense as the year progresses. I wish nothing but success for Coach Roof. War Eagle! Thank you all for all you do.

In all honesty, I thought you all were a little quick on the trigger after yesterday's game. I do appreciate the opportunity to read others comments, even the negative ones. You certainly have the right to ban, delete, reprove, etc. any post you don't like. I truly believe that if you don't allow people to vent a little among the Auburn Family, you want be here long. I know it is free. I have made contributions in the past and I will do so again. I mean no disrespect to anyone here, nor any disrespect to any coach at Auburn. I think that the players deserve to be put in a better position than they are with the current Defensive Coordinator. I hope that he can reevaluate everything, as he said, and we all see a dramatic improvement in our defense as the year progresses. I wish nothing but success for Coach Roof. War Eagle! Thank you all for all you do.

I appreciate the comment, and I understand where you're coming from. I agree that this should be a place where we can come and vent, but I also think there is merit to considering your frustrations and being reasonable with any criticisms rather than simply lashing out...and because the gameday threads are not designed that way, there is plenty of reason to delete any such posts that are passion driven. It's a fine line, but I sincerely believe that we should all be trying to walk it.

From time to time everyone needs to be reigned in to keep civility. I would like to urge the mods to also look at how they respond to posts. While it is your houses so to speak, asking/demanding respect without giving it as well is not becoming of an Auburn person.

That being said, some posters are crossing the well defined line and should be more careful. The end result is that mods and other posters are having to argue to get their point across(such as the above mentioned) and it creates unneeded tension. Anger begets anger begets anger.

So here is to having everyone in a better mood and getting another Auburn win WDE.

From time to time everyone needs to be reigned in to keep civility. I would like to urge the mods to also look at how they respond to posts. While it is your houses so to speak, asking/demanding respect without giving it as well is not becoming of an Auburn person.

That being said, some posters are crossing the well defined line and should be more careful. The end result is that mods and other posters are having to argue to get their point across(such as the above mentioned) and it creates unneeded tension. Anger begets anger begets anger.

So here is to having everyone in a better mood and getting another Auburn win WDE.

couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think the mods were too quick on the trigger at all. I think some posters were completely out of line, and the quicker those posts were gone, the better. The disrespect towards the coaches, the players, and the mods got out of hand in a hurry. Why would anyone want that stuff  kept out there for all to see?

The meltdown was ugly. Posters need to take a deep breath before hitting the send button. This is NOT going to be a the same kind of season we had last year, and everybody was warned ahead of time, but few listened, and some were even offended by the warnings.

I am sick of being called a sunshine pumper because I gave some thought to the warning that this young team would struggle, and because I choose to support my team, including the coaches, just as much in 2011 as I did in 2010.

There will be more losses this season, and although I will hate to lose, I will still support these hard working kids and coaches, and I will be respectful in my posting on Auburn boards. I realize that I have no idea what difficulties they all face, because I am not privy to what's actually going on in the locker room. I will not presume to know more than an experienced coaching staff, and I will not call out any players nor will I demand that a coach lose his job.

We are not the owners of this site, and we don't put in the work required to keep it going. It's not too much for the mods to ask that posters follow the rules, and post respectfully.....even when Auburn loses a game. Especially then, actually.

Coach Dye, and Jake Holland's dad asked for fan support during this difficult time for the Auburn Tigers. It would be nice for the fans to offer a show of support even though many disagree with the way things are being done. The kids on the field deserve that much, and I think it might inspire them.

Guest shirley4au9

I don't think the mods were too quick on the trigger at all. I think some posters were completely out of line, and the quicker those posts were gone, the better. The disrespect towards the coaches, the players, and the mods got out of hand in a hurry. Why would anyone want that stuff  kept out there for all to see?

The meltdown was ugly. Posters need to take a deep breath before hitting the send button. This is NOT going to be a the same kind of season we had last year, and everybody was warned ahead of time, but few listened, and some were even offended by the warnings.

I am sick of being called a sunshine pumper because I gave some thought to the warning that this young team would struggle, and because I choose to support my team, including the coaches, just as much in 2011 as I did in 2010.

There will be more losses this season, and although I will hate to lose, I will still support these hard working kids and coaches, and I will be respectful in my posting on Auburn boards. I realize that I have no idea what difficulties they all face, because I am not privy to what's actually going on in the locker room. I will not presume to know more than an experienced coaching staff, and I will not call out any players nor will I demand that a coach lose his job.

We are not the owners of this site, and we don't put in the work required to keep it going. It's not too much for the mods to ask that posters follow the rules, and post respectfully.....even when Auburn loses a game. Especially then, actually.

Coach Dye, and Jake Holland's dad asked for fan support during this difficult time for the Auburn Tigers. It would be nice for the fans to offer a show of support even though many disagree with the way things are being done. The kids on the field deserve that much, and I think it might inspire them.

:believe:

Tigerbelle, I whole heartily agree with you!!!  My wife and I will be in JHS to support "OUR" Tigers come OCT 15th against Florida....and we will be there with bells on and all our AUBURN GEAR just like it is on our vehicles today and will be all season....you just don't support a team when they do good...you support no matter what is going on....as in the movie:  THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY!!!    :laugh:   

I've been a fan since 1972...been through the good and the bad and the ugly before....WE ARE AUBURN and WE WILL ALWAYS BE AUBURN!!!!  Don't care if this team goes 0-12 or 12-0 or somewhere between...OUR FAMILY WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT THE AUBURN FAMILY!!!!

:wedance:    :party:      :thumbsup:      :zapbama:        :partey:   

I applaud respectful discussion. One of the things that concerns me about the above stickied memo is thus little snippet:  "Calling for a coach's head is not the right way,....."

Just want to be clear, are you stating that it is not allowed to discuss a desire to have a new defensive head coach? That we can't engage in conversation about who we would like to see taking the reigns of the Defensive squad should Roof be fired?

You folks do us all a great favor and service (for those who donate), so you can run the board absolutely any way you see fit.  This is the only board that I check in on and I'd hate to see it become a dumping ground for all the frustrations that each of us have.  We are all frustrated, but starting mid seasoning campaigns against individuals or entire coaching staffs is out of bounds.  IMO.

No one knows better how much things need to improve or how much is riding on it than the coaches who are all at work right now.

Glad things have cooled off on the subject.

No one was argueing about the results we all appreciated last year,  but put that to bed.

The boil over was not about one game, it was about 3 years of poor defensive performance with  no  accountability

or urgency to correct it.  It was about the continued acceptance of poor defensive performance and the perceived lack of future improvement.

Reminds me of the melt down of Nall Ball after  back to back loses to USC and Ga Tech. The problems were obvious to see but was not being corrected.  On their front page the B'ham News printing the base defense being used to wreck it.  Let that one sink in if you have the unfortunately experience of remembering that train wreck of an offense and coordinator.  It was the biggest statement of the obvious and slap in the face of a coach  I've ever seen.

Maybe that is one of the problems, feels like deja vu all over again.

Red, I absolutely agree with the sentiment in your pushpin post, and I think Belle's comments highlight the significant challenge you and the other mods face.  Belle said she is tired of being called a sunshine pumper because she chooses to post positive things about AU, and others are tired of being accused of not being "ALL IN" when they are critical of Auburn's poor play.  You have a tall order my friend.  People view the world differently and they express their opinions in vastly different ways.  If you can manage to keep this site as one where opinions and ideas can be freely shared in a respectful way without people getting their feelings hurt and resorting to base behavior, you will have done something scarcely few have been able to do.  I applaud you for your efforts.

Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but since I'm here....  I think the behavior of our fans  should highlight to some that we really are a family.  All you have to do is look at how we respond in solidarity to all the mud that is slung at AU from the outside and then bicker internally about what is wrong with our defense and what should be done to fix it.  That's family right there.  It'll fight with itself while unifying and strongly responding to any outside attacks.

Love this site, and I love AU!!!   :wareagle: :wareagle:

Red, I absolutely agree with the sentiment in your pushpin post, and I think Belle's comments highlight the significant challenge you and the other mods face.  Belle said she is tired of being called a sunshine pumper because she chooses to post positive things about AU, and others are tired of being accused of not being "ALL IN" when they are critical of Auburn's poor play.  You have a tall order my friend.  People view the world differently and they express their opinions in vastly different ways.  If you can manage to keep this site as one where opinions and ideas can be freely shared in a respectful way without people getting their feelings hurt and resorting to base behavior, you will have done something scarcely few have been able to do.  I applaud you for your efforts.

Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but since I'm here....  I think the behavior of our fans  should highlight to some that we really are a family.  All you have to do is look at how we respond in solidarity to all the mud that is slung at AU from the outside and then bicker internally about what is wrong with our defense and what should be done to fix it.  That's family right there.  It'll fight with itself while unifying and strongly responding to any outside attacks.

Well put. My only question is what transpired on the boards to warrant this thread's existence. I guess I haven't been on enough since Saturday's loss to know what's going on.

Well put. My only question is what transpired on the boards to warrant this thread's existence. I guess I haven't been on enough since Saturday's loss to know what's going on.

You didn't miss much... just a few bad apples trying to spoil the whole bunch.  Nothing a couple of wins won't fix.

:hellyeah:

Your pinned post is 100% appropriate.  There are plenty of sites where Auburn fans can go to call for a coach to be fired, I'm really glad that this isn't one of them.  Honest criticsm is one thing but calling to fire a coach 3 games into the season at the end of a 17 game winning streak and 8 months after winning the national championship is way out of line.  Ask yourself: How did our coaches get so stupid so quick?

Here are two ways to say the same thing:

1. Our defensive coordinator sux and should be fired.

2. Our defense isn't where it should be after three years, I believe we need to go in another direction as far as our DC goes.

Which sounds better? Which will more likely be deleted? I would say the first one.

I applaud respectful discussion. One of the things that concerns me about the above stickied memo is thus little snippet:  "Calling for a coach's head is not the right way,....."

Just want to be clear, are you stating that it is not allowed to discuss a desire to have a new defensive head coach? That we can't engage in conversation about who we would like to see taking the reigns of the Defensive squad should Roof be fired?

Weegs gave a good example that answers your question. You can express your concern in a respectful manner, but mention it once and be done with it. The problem is that people seem to believe that if they YELL LOUD ENOUGH and often enough on message boards, then perhaps the coaching staff will somehow hear them and they will get their way. Those people are the main ones with whom the problem lies.

The way I see it is either you have faith in Gene Chizik's abilities to be the Head Coach at Auburn, or you don't.  If you do think that Coach Chizik is the man for the job, then let him do his job.  His job includes making decisions about staffing changes if he thinks that is what's needed to correct the problems. 

I'm no coach, but I'm pretty sure that all of our problems on defense can't be placed at the feet of Ted Roof.  Based on what I perceive of Gene Chzik and his attention to details, he's well aware of what's going on with the defense and I'm sure he has a hand in what's going on with the defense - as well as the other aspects of the team. 

If you have a problem with something the team is doing or not doing, point your finger at the head coach - he's the one responsible, and the buck has to stop with him.  Personally, I'm sticking with Coach Chizik because I believe he is the right man for the job and I like the direction I think he has us headed.     

couldnt have said it better...i hate being called a "sunshine pumper" just because i will support this team win or lose...theres a fine line by saying certain players are out of position and or missing tackles compared to saying a player is garbage and should be replaced by so and so then calling for a coaches head....there is a reason chizik and this staff have had the success they have had and i promise their not going this listen to parts of a fan base that want a coach gone...i had to step away from this site since the game sat because i was so disgusted by things that were being said...hopefully some bad apples have been addressed and we can continue to support this team..they are very young and will make mistakes and they will have ups and downs

Weegs gave a good example that answers your question. You can express your concern in a respectful manner, but mention it once and be done with it. The problem is that people seem to believe that if they YELL LOUD ENOUGH and often enough on message boards, then perhaps the coaching staff will somehow hear them and they will get their way. Those people are the main ones with whom the problem lies.

Soooooo...you're saying that you don't believe that Coach Chizik reads comments made on AE or adjusts his coaching strategies based on our recommendations.   hmmmm.  Now I'm a little discouraged about being an armchair coach.  

Archived