TO DAREN BATES

tigerjeffm

Daren,

a lot of people, including myself, called you out over the past week for poor tackling.  Although I know you probably don't read this site, I just want you to know how proud I and a bunch of others were to see you lead the team in tackles today.  You responded well and the way you played today was a big reason we got the W.  War Eagle Daren Bates

quantity of tackles does not always equal quality of tackles, 6 yards down the field is just a tackle, IMO.

But he made the tackles, that's the important thing. And I did notice him in the backfield a few times, too.

quantity of tackles does not always equal quality of tackles, 6 yards down the field is just a tackle, IMO.

But he made the tackles, that's the important thing. And I did notice him in the backfield a few times, too.

...and so did Evans last week, but Freeman played a lot this week....

So does that mean Bates doesn't deserve the same kind of praise that Evans got last week?

So does that mean Bates doesn't deserve the same kind of praise that Evans got last week?

As an assistant HS coach just stating the obvious, tackles are a stat that has different values for where they are made, while I am glad to see Bates wrap up some tackles, the more opportunities and where they are made are part of the reality of things.  It is just my opinion, and we know you don't like that already!!  WDE!!

As an assistant HS coach just stating the obvious, tackles are a stat that has different values for where they are made, while I am glad to see Bates wrap up some tackles, the more opportunities and where they are made are part of the reality of things.  It is just my opinion, and we know you don't like that already!!  WDE!!

:laugh: If nothing else, I do respect your opinion, so please don't mistake me. You aren't wrong about tackles being misleading sometimes, but it's just encouraging to me to see him at least getting closer to making good hits..the kind that can't be bounced off of. To be completely honest, I'm not so sure I want him playing linebacker, or at least not starting, but after the bashing he took last week, I'm glad to see him getting praise for playing well today.

And I hope Biliema (or however you spell his name) proves you right, I've just not seen much evidence of it.

I didn't realize Daren was the team leader in tackles. Good for him! Although we gave up a ton of yards today, I thought our tackling as a whole was much much better than last week. Now we just have to figure out how to get a tackler to the ball carrier before they get seven yards downfield. Again, 97 plays and half-a-thousand on O for the bad guys, but I really do feel our D improved from last week. We just have to figure out how to get off the field on third down.

:laugh: If nothing else, I do respect your opinion, so please don't mistake me. You aren't wrong about tackles being misleading sometimes, but it's just encouraging to me to see him at least getting closer to making good hits..the kind that can't be bounced off of. To be completely honest, I'm not so sure I want him playing linebacker, or at least not starting, but after the bashing he took last week, I'm glad to see him getting praise for playing well today.

And I hope Biliema (or however you spell his name) proves you right, I've just not seen much evidence of it.

I agree with you Red, I said a while back that I would like to see him at safety again, before the Frost injury.  He seemed to be more natural there and a game changer.  PM is a PM and just giving you an Auburn opinion of what i am seeing, the guy is no saint, but he does it right!!   All is good!!!!   Appreciate all that you do and it is all cool if we agree to disagree, because more importantly we are ALL AUBURN!!!

To me it looks like Daren has a pretty good nose for the ball and as soon as he gets comfortable wrapping up instead of taking a kill shot he will become a very productive player. I saw improvement yesterday and hope he gets more involved helping out Jake on calls and alignments. WDE Great Win for a TEAM so YOUNG.

I'm sure Daren was just torn up inside over all the message board fans slamming his performance last week  :-\

I guess my biggest problem with Daren playing linebacker is his size; I read somewhere recently that he's like 5'11, 205...and that's not where you need to be to play linebacker in the SEC. I worry some about his pass coverage skills (that was his biggest weakness in 09, and he's not looked all that good when dropping into coverage at least a couple of times this year), but I wouldn't mind following Bird's suggestion of moving to the 4-2-5 with Bates dropping back to be the third safety. :dunno:

Regardless, he played much better yesterday than the week before.

My opinion: I really wish someone would decide, who is responsible for the pitch man on an option play. Miss. St. ran this to the left and right with great success. I assure you all, I was not the only one who noticed this success. The defensive ends played the QB but no one had the pitch man. When I played 30 years ago, the OLB had the pitch man. No one had the pitch man yesterday. I really hope our coaches noticed this too and fix it quickly.

IMO, the LBs may have improved, but there's lots of work to be done. Position improved. Angles still poor. getting off the first block is improved but needs improvement. Lack explosion into the hole to meet the ball carrier is a major problem for both LBs and secondary.

Archived