my dad david gaynes luna

aubiefifty

i believe my dad dropped out after and probably went to korea. i cannot say anything for sure cus it would be speculating. tho i never attended a single class at aubirn it has and always will be my home in my heart.ther are no words strong enough to discribe my love for auburn..........................

This is a neat thread.  I have absolutely nothing to contribute, but I am enjoying reading these stories. 

If you like this one, the you'll love this one.

OLDEST AE MEMBER

• Like 1

i can remember my one and only wreck tech parade. the football players were in jammers and some dressed up like girls. the band came by and i was not paying attention and a tuba player blew a note in my face and i bet i jumped five feet.......man those were great times. heck aubuenr was so cool we slept with the doors open cept for the screen doors and no one ever bothered anyone...............

heck auburn was so cool we slept with the doors open cept for the screen doors and no one ever bothered anyone...............

I can't speak to everything else, but that was still the case in the 90s when I was at AU.  I never locked my door... never had to.

• 10 years later...
24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

i saw that. i almost started crying but i am in shock. but i will shoot you a text.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2011 at 4:11 PM, aubiefifty said:

i believe my dad dropped out after and probably went to korea. i cannot say anything for sure cus it would be speculating. tho i never attended a single class at aubirn it has and always will be my home in my heart.ther are no words strong enough to discribe my love for auburn..........................

You can check military  records to see if and when he served.   That may help you narrow down the time frame he was at AU.

Auburn also puts out an "alumni directory" with every student and alum that ever attended Auburn.  (by year and alphabetical order.)  It used to be updated  every 4 years. It is/was published by Harris publishing co.   They have them in Ralph Brown Draughon Library on campus,  and I think there is a digital version on line for those in the AU Alumni association.       

The digital version  is NOT as detailed as the hard copies  by harris publishing in the library.  https://cws.auburn.edu/AEAlumni/Home/ViewAllAlumni

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2011 at 4:51 PM, lionheartkc said:

I can't speak to everything else, but that was still the case in the 90s when I was at AU.  I never locked my door... never had to.

when i was at AU I never had anything worth stealing.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is incredible, 10 years later.

Some of this brings back memories from when I was there. For some reason Foy Union Student Center came to mind. Not that that has anything to do with finding aubiefifty's father, but you could call them and get anyone's number at the time. Like I said, not relevant at all, just reading and reminiscing. Good luck @aubiefifty!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

It truly is

pop luna was my grandfather. he worked the railroad and trained tennessee walkers. and he looked like wc fields for real.

• Like 2

I wasn't a member of this board ten years ago, but I just wanted to pop in and say that reading through this thread last night was really awesome. Fifty, I know this is a private matter, but I really hope that you had success learning more about your pops thanks to this thread. I am not from Auburn and also did not attend, but my family roots trace back to there from a long time ago. I have been to Auburn a handful of times, but I really enjoyed reading about how it was in the "old days" when my relatives would have been growing up there. Thank you for that. A tight nit and special community indeed

• Like 4

On 7/14/2011 at 3:16 PM, DANSBY said:

This is a neat thread.  I have absolutely nothing to contribute, but I am enjoying reading these stories. 

I concur. I’m nostalgic as they come. Hope you get the info you’re looking for, @aubiefifty…wish I could help.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

i was hoping to get proof that my grandfather did in fact teach horseback riding for the rotc. i know he walked to town every single day from east glenn and everyone knew him and called him sarge. and he always stopped in at the barber shop by the old sears building to chat and i loved it because they had huge stacks of comic books.

This is so awesome! I wish there was more threads like this, and less arguing about politics and skin pigmentation etc. please keep it up guys!

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

This is so awesome! I wish there was more threads like this, and less arguing about politics and skin pigmentation etc. please keep it up guys!

there is a park at the bottom of the hill on east glenn. it had swings and some baseball fields. there was an old creosote log bridge{really small} and my grandfather taught me to run across the bridge because a troll lived under it and if i was too slow it would get me. lol i met tucker fredrickson as well thinking of going out for a baseball team. i sucked and he actually spent extra time with me.. and the wreck tech parades? the football players dressed up like women and wearing wigs and a ton of folks in pajamas. it was the most fun you could have for free other than that dang tuba player that snuck up on me and blasted his horn in my ear. sometimes i sit and wonder if gold dressed up like a woman and did the parade............lol

I appreciate the stories and memories. I never wish away time because it goes by so fast on it's own. I graduated from AU over 20 years ago and recently went back to AU for graduate school. So much has changed, even in 20 years. Stories I share about the 90s is considered "classic" which can be both shocking and amusing. One grad student peer stated "medieval" when I told him at that time, men's on-campus graduate housing was limited and it was even harder to find one with air conditioning. The look of horror on their face. "What do you mean no A/C?" 

Change at AU and everywhere happens so quickly, I have no doubt AU graduates from two years ago will be viewed as "classic" and maybe even "medieval". 

Thank you all for sharing your journey. The emotional attachment is what makes them memorable to me. 

• Like 1