Some of the worst five star recruiting busts of the past decade

averaged about 14.5 yard a catch in his career. 2,700 yards 15 tds on 179 receptions. pretty damn good. so thats about 300 more yards than dez bryant had at okie st.

He trailed some no-name guy named Ozzie Newsome by 1 in career touchdowns..how embarrassing.

thats the kind of offense he played in, he was one of the most efficient wide receivers to ever play in the SEC.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as it kills me to say, JJ was an amazing player at UA and has the stats to back it...and he did it all in three years w/o redshirting...and didn't have the most amazing QB's either.

AJ Green is better IMO but anyone who says JJ was a bust knows NOTHING about football. JJ was in a run first offense his entire career at bama. He didn't have as many balls thrown his was as AJG or Alshon and wasn't the vocal point of the offense. You can't jugde a player by stats because JJ would lay the wood on DB's and LB's during running plays compared to Alshon and AJG who was less then impressive in run blocking.

I am through arguing about it but JJ was supposed to be great and was good at best. Anything less than expected is a bust. He may not have been a big bust but he was overhyped compared to what he actually did.

I am through arguing about it but JJ was supposed to be great and was good at best. Anything less than expected is a bust. He may not have been a big bust but he was overhyped compared to what he actually did.

id understand if you said star jackson is a bust, but julio is simply not. hell tyler love is a bust, if you take a look at the top players in the state of alabama for 08 Julio is much better than anyone named.http://rivals.yahoo.com/Auburn/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1881

I don't know who you were listening to, but most reasonable people, even most Bammers, thought Julio would be one of the top WRs in the SEC, one of the best ever at Bama, and a future 1st rounder. Those were his expectations, and he more than met them. No college bust is a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. Seriously, Julio is in no way a bust, unless you expected him to win multiple Heisman's, which nobody seriously expected

How many really recall DJ Hall? In a few years, Jones will be just another turd player to waddle through turdaloser. When the next WR steps on campus and breaks all the records, Jones will be an afterthought. Eh, who really cares about turds anyway?

I don't know who you were listening to, but most reasonable people, even most Bammers, thought Julio would be one of the top WRs in the SEC, one of the best ever at Bama, and a future 1st rounder Those were his expectations, and he more than met them. No college bust is a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. Seriously, Julio is in no way a bust, unless you expected him to win multiple Heisman's, which nobody seriously expected

I listened to the recruiting experts. He was supposed to be to bama what Crabtree was to TT and he was not. When teams look for that one guy that can beat them JJ was not that guy. Was just someone that might do something every now and then and that isn't great. There is a noticiable drop from AJ and AG to JJ when it came to making the big plays. When you are #1 or 2 in the nation coming out and do what he did that is not consider living up to the hype.

How many really recall DJ Hall? In a few years, Jones will be just another turd player to waddle through turdaloser. When the next WR steps on campus and breaks all the records, Jones will be an afterthought. Eh, who really cares about turds anyway?

:thumbsup:

I don't even know why this is being argued. Julio was a beast. He may have been overhyped every now and then, but he was in no way a bust. I would have loved to have him suit up in orange and blue. I don't know what else a receiver could do to justify a 5 star rating if Julio didn't? Especially considering he didn't even play in an offense that emphasized throwing the ball all the time, (i.e. Michael Crabtree)

I don't know who you were listening to, but most reasonable people, even most Bammers, thought Julio would be one of the top WRs in the SEC, one of the best ever at Bama, and a future 1st rounder Those were his expectations, and he more than met them. No college bust is a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. Seriously, Julio is in no way a bust, unless you expected him to win multiple Heisman's, which nobody seriously expected

I listened to the recruiting experts. He was supposed to be to bama what Crabtree was to TT and he was not. When teams look for that one guy that can beat them JJ was not that guy. Was just someone that might do something every now and then and that isn't great. There is a noticiable drop from AJ and AG to JJ when it came to making the big plays. When you are #1 or 2 in the nation coming out and do what he did that is not consider living up to the hype.

Nobody expected him to be like Crabtree simply because Crabtree was in a pass happy offense, while Bama was a power running team. Of course nobody singled out Julio as the guy that could beat them, that's because there was a Heisman winner in the backfield. And his lack of big plays was not because of him, it was the offense and the QB. And no, there isn't much of a noticeable drop between AG, AJ, and JJ. They are all elite

Love him all you want. He is gone and I am glad. Not because I am worried about him beating Auburn but because I am tired of the turds talking about him like he was the greatest WR ever which he is no where near.    

Love him all you want. He is gone and I am glad. Not because I am worried about him beating Auburn but because I am tired of the turds talking about him like was the greatest WR ever which he is no where near.    

I agree, I'm glad he's gone. But I was definitely worried about him beating us, considering he destroyed our secondary single-handedly the past 3 years

Love him all you want. He is gone and I am glad. Not because I am worried about him beating Auburn but because I am tired of the turds talking about him like was the greatest WR ever which he is no where near.    

I agree, I'm glad he's gone. But I was definitely worried about him beating us, considering he destroyed our secondary single-handedly the past 3 years

No offense to our players but that ain't saying much.

No offense to our players but that ain't saying much.

:laugh: you have a point

Nobody even brought up the fact that he was only a junior. You take his career numbers and add another season to them and I bet they are pretty sick. Julio=STUD it doesn't matter if you believe he turned it on and off when he wanted to. That means to me that he really is a freaking stud because he has the ability to do that and not miss a beat.

I dislike SPUAT as much as anyone, but to try to argue that Julio Jones was a bust is just silly and the posters doing that are just engaging in blind homerism.

wde

I can't wait to see him give that arrogant stupid little "how dare you touch me" stare down to the CBs and safeties in the League. It will be comical.

I just read through this entire thread. This is like a comedy. JJ was a terrific player for AL. He was not a perfect player. He did drop some passes; even key passes in the AU-AL games last year. That being said, he was a force. I can tell you as a Auburn fan, I was always concerned about him being on the field for the enemy.

For those saying that AJ Green was not getting as much hype as JJ, I do not agree. I live in GA and AJ got tons of hype here. If you live in AL, you hear more about JJ.

They are both great talents. I think they will both do well in the NFL. I am glad they are both gone. I do think the SEC had another receiver last year that was just as good as JJ and AJ; Alton Jeffrey's was pretty awesome.

None of these 3 players could be considered as busts.

Just to bring it back to busts, how about Caleb King. We watned that guy bad, and he has only been OK while at UGA.

Another would be Enrique Davis. We thought we had him and he had awesome tape. I am very surprised he has not done much while at Ole Moss. 

I like this thread, lets get back to real busts.

I don't know how you can call a player that makes it to the NFL (Obamado, JJ) a 'bust'.  Especially when there is a plethora of 5* players who NEVER saw the field (Raven Gray) or played so sparingly (Tray Blackmon) that they never made an impact.  I hate UAT as much as the next guy, but to say JJ is a 'bust' just makes you look as ignorant as Mr. Updyke.

How did a thread that started off talking about 5* busts turn into a Julie-0 love fest

sure dont let the guy get open.....he might catch one of those over thrown balls but

How many hit him in the hands and he drops.....4th down of the 2010 IB

Archived