1964 SI story on Toomer's Corner

DyeCampAlum

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076376/index.htm?eref=sisf

The university, as distinguished from the town, has an enrollment of 9,844, of whom 2,848 are girls and 9,844 are enthusiastic football followers. Auburn, in fact, has the largest student following of any Southeastern Conference school—two thirds of the students by actual count who faithfully attend all the games, at home and away.

Good times for sure. I went a few years after this and the student body was up to a whopping 11,000 with about 3,800 being female. I will say the females love it since we outnumbered them by so much.

Oh my gosh! The Town House in 1964! My parents took us there often, and in 1964 I was a very young child, but I remember it well. Dean was a family friend.

I hate that the beautiful old house is gone. :'(

I hope the trees can somehow survive.

Yeah, The Plainsman is the student newspaper...http://www.theplainsman.com/

No there was apparently a bar called "The Plainsman" at one time.  Seems like I was once told it burned down.

I was there in 1970-1975 don't recall any bar name "The Plainsman". What years did your Dad go to AU?

'57 to '62.

Go to General Chat we have a thread there "Oldest AE Member". It will be near the top of the page. Post your question there some of the guys older then me may can help.

It's funny to look back and see how small these guys are compared to this generation of football player

"There are three boys in the line who have the potential to be All-America." Vaught thereupon points to End Allen Brown (6 feet 4, 225), Guard Stan Hindman (6 feet 3, 225) and Tackle James Harvey (6 feet 5, 240)"

My dad played football in high school, and his helmet was absolutely primitive compared to the equipment that's available now. I think it might've been made out of leather with some slight padding...:laugh:

No there was apparently a bar called "The Plainsman" at one time.  Seems like I was once told it burned down.

I was there in 1970-1975 don't recall any bar name "The Plainsman". What years did your Dad go to AU?

I went to Auburn from 1960-1965, and there was a bar/nightclub called the Plainsmen on Notasulga highway.  I personally enjoyed going to the War Eagle Supper Club a lot more, though.

In reading the article, it sounds like the Plainsmen bar would have been down highway 14, just past the Auburn city limits (Where Auburn City Limits used to be, now where the Seafood and Creole Shack is located).  At least that's my best guess, based on the description of the bar being 3 miles from campus on Notasulga Road. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076376/index.htm?eref=sisf

The university, as distinguished from the town, has an enrollment of 9,844, of whom 2,848 are girls and 9,844 are enthusiastic football followers. Auburn, in fact, has the largest student following of any Southeastern Conference school—two thirds of the students by actual count who faithfully attend all the games, at home and away.

That brings back memories. I went to a lot of Southern football games around the SE as a young man as several of my relatives played or attended school from Texas A&M to South Carolina. When not going somewhere, listening to LSU on Saturday night was better than sliced bread. I remember so many of these names, even from the smaller schools. I still go to Westen Carolina games when possible to watch the sun set over the mountains right after kickoff. Great to tailgate 200-300 feet from the gate then sit in the stands underneath the open windows of the coaches box as WCU loses again. We`ve even had the coaches ask us for ideas followed up with"nothing we`re trying is working, maybe ya`ll have some ideas". And I may be wrong but I think the "Plainsman" was originally called the "Shephards Purse". It was on 14 going toward Notasugly(Notasulga).

That brings back memories. I went to a lot of Southern football games around the SE as a young man as several of my relatives played or attended school from Texas A&M to South Carolina. When not going somewhere, listening to LSU on Saturday night was better than sliced bread. I remember so many of these names, even from the smaller schools. I still go to Westen Carolina games when possible to watch the sun set over the mountains right after kickoff. Great to tailgate 200-300 feet from the gate then sit in the stands underneath the open windows of the coaches box as WCU loses again. We`ve even had the coaches ask us for ideas followed up with"nothing we`re trying is working, maybe ya`ll have some ideas". And I may be wrong but I think the "Plainsman" was originally called the "Shephards Purse". It was on 14 going toward Notasugly(Notasulga).

You may be on to something there. I do somewhat remember the  "Shephards Purse". Humm

Pay dirt!!

Old matchbook covers from the War Eagle Reader.

There are several different ones of old places, including "The Plainsman Club".  WARNING:  I'm posting a link instead of the pic because The Plainsman cover has what I'd consider an 'R' rated illustration.  And being this is a family-oriented board and all.....  You older guys might remember some of this stuff.

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2010/05/matches-made-in-heaven-vintage-matchbooks-of-the-loveliest-village/

I went to Auburn from 1960-1965, and there was a bar/nightclub called the Plainsmen on Notasulga highway.  I personally enjoyed going to the War Eagle Supper Club a lot more, though.

Oh my, pops.  Was the Supper Club there in the 60's?  I went in the late 70's and early 80's and the Supper Club was the best place to play. My son graduated in 2009 and killed innumerable brain cells there, too. 

Oh my, pops.  Was the Supper Club there in the 60's?  I went in the late 70's and early 80's and the Supper Club was the best place to play. My son graduated in 2009 and killed innumerable brain cells there, too. 

Yes the Supper Club was there

According to my parents, you actually used to be able to eat at The Supper Club.  This would've been in the 60s.  You sure couldn't eat there in the 90s. :hellyeah:

Archived