95tgr4life

My Top Candidates:

1. Mike Pelton

2. Kevin Greene

3. Mike Tolleson

4. Clint Hurtt

5. Jim Panagos

6. TX A&M guy, forgot his name

I am not high at all on Gardner or Thompson. I do have questions about Hurtt's full ability as a position coach, though his recruiting prowess can't be overlooked. I would add Brumbaugh to that list right after the coach at A&M. Just my thoughts...

Just read something that said the 2 candidates at this moment are Hurtt and Cross.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reports I've seen were tweets from Bryan Fischer, AUGoldmine, and fbrumormill. But all 3 are saying the same thing, right now we are looking at Hurtt and Cross.

Can Hurtt coach?

Thats been the only knock on him...not very many people were high on his coaching skills coming away from his time a the U. Don't know how he has looked up at Louisville.

Can Hurtt coach?

Thats been the only knock on him...not very many people were high on his coaching skills coming away from his time a the U. Don't know how he has looked up at Louisville.

quote]

Can't coach. WTF :dunno:??? 

How in the world is a coach a coach if he can't coach??

Its not that he can't coach...his recruiting is what people love about him. He just isn't as good of a position coach as he is recruiter. At least that is what it has looked like.

Top-notch recruiter, mediocre coach on DL.

Its not that he can't coach...his recruiting is what people love about him. He just isn't as good of a position coach as he is recruiter. At least that is what it has looked like.

Oh, ok.  Well I guess the question is, which one is more important?  Being a better coach, or a lock down recruiter?  Looks like the coaches might be looking for great recruiters since they did interview him.

A poster I trust very much on another board posted that his on the field coaching has improved markedly in the past couple of years and especially last year at UL and not to base his coaching ability only on his stint at UM.  Says he is growing and improving as a coach.

wde

What a great opportunity to learn from some great defensive minds.... CTR and CGC.... I would say this would be a great hire... Given the Texas background with Mack Brown, I imagine that is part of the reason CGC also is interested in Cross.  Did CTR hire Cross at UofMinn?

Uhhmmm ... is it just me, or does anyone else here think Coach Chizik will hire the best coach he can find for the job -- and that he's already shown he's pretty good at figuring out who that is?

We are often admonished on the recruiting thread to trust the coaches. Well, I really do trust CGC in this case! I think he's earned it.

:believe:

Spoken to a few Louisville fans and they think pretty highly of him as an on-field coach. Said they had a very young DL, playing a lot of freshmen and he was able to make significant and positive progress with them.

He coached some good DL's at the U as well.

From my experience dealing with cane fans in the past, is that they can be a bit bitter when someone spurns them. Hurtt leaving UM for UL brought a bit of that out.

I think he's a good DL coach... He's a better recruiter, but still a good DL coach.

Spoken to a few Louisville fans and they think pretty highly of him as an on-field coach. Said they had a very young DL, playing a lot of freshmen and he was able to make significant and positive progress with them.

He coached some good DL's at the U as well.

From my experience dealing with cane fans in the past, is that they can be a bit bitter when someone spurns them. Hurtt leaving UM for UL brought a bit of that out.

I think he's a good DL coach... He's a better recruiter, but still a good DL coach.

Sounds familiar. I bet Bama would never even consider hiring him as DL coach!  :laugh:

We need a GREAT recruiter and a GREAT coach. Not just one or the other.

I 100% agree with you here, but that would mark Hurtt off the list since people are saying his coaching skills are lacking.  It is just hard to believe that a great defensive minded coach like Charlie Strong would have even hired the man in the first place if he was just a "some what" good coach.  Maybe he saw potential in Hurtt???  There is no doubt that he has probably improved being underneath the supervisor of CCS.

I would be in favor of moving Ted Roof to coach the defensive line as well as being defensive coordinator then fire Travis Williams to coach linebackers.

I'm sure whoever CGC hires will be the best man for the job, all the way around.  I think he has clearly proven that he knows how to hire the right guys to win at Auburn.

I'm sure whoever CGC hires will be the best man for the job, all the way around.  I think he has clearly proven that he knows how to hire the right guys to win at Auburn.

Absolutely!

We need a GREAT recruiter and a GREAT coach. Not just one or the other.

I 100% agree with you here, but that would mark Hurtt off the list since people are saying his coaching skills are lacking.  It is just hard to believe that a great defensive minded coach like Charlie Strong would have even hired the man in the first place if he was just a "some what" good coach.  Maybe he saw potential in Hurtt???  There is no doubt that he has probably improved being underneath the supervisor of CCS.

It doesn't how great you can coach x' and o's if you can't pull in the Jimmy's and Joe's. He is ranked the #1 recruiter in the NATION! If he's good, CTR and CGC can tutor him on the x' and o's.  :believe:

All things considered...I trust Coach Chizik and Coach Roof to get together and make the best hire based on what they want and what we need to replace Coach Rocker.

And if they are seriously looking at Hurtt, then I trust their judgment on his abilities both as a coach AND as a recruiter.

Archived