DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

If it turns out that coach Chizik hires Mike Tolleson, you think he can recruit kids away from states like Texas and bring them to the Plains? he must be a great coach and great recruiter.

I think we're poised to start getting some recruits out of Texas already, but yes, hiring Tolleson would give us that more leverage in the Lone Star State.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I am wrong....but wasn't Tolleson let go by Mack Brown? 

It was called a resignation, but after they apparently couldn't lure anyone better, they decided to retain him. :dunno:

It was called a resignation, but after they apparently couldn't lure anyone better, they decided to retain him. :dunno:

Resignation in college football = fired. No one resigns unless they retire. Lone exception would be situations like Urban Meyer's. You don't see your entire staff "resign."

That said, I think Brown was desperate. I don't think hiring somebody who was fired / resigned is the best idea, but then again Chizik was 5-19 and a lot of people thought that was crazy.

My top 5 candidates:

1. Lance Thompson - Tennessee

2. Giff Smith - Buffalo Bills

3. Mike Tolleson - Texas

4. Clint Hurtt - Louisville

5. Travis Williams - Auburn

I thought about T-Will as a possible candidate, but I think for that to happen, we might be better off letting him coach linebackers and let Roof switch to D-line.

Don't really want Thompson, don't know anything about Smith, but I'd be cool with Tolleson or Hurtt.

Resignation in college football = fired. No one resigns unless they retire. Lone exception would be situations like Urban Meyer's. You don't see your entire staff "resign."

That said, I think Brown was desperate. I don't think hiring somebody who was fired / resigned is the best idea, but then again Chizik was 5-19 and a lot of people thought that was crazy.

Oh I know, that's why I said it was called a resignation. That was more a side note before getting into the meat of what I was saying about them not finding anyone else to do the job.

I could live with Travis coaching the LB's and Ted coaching the DL. If we don't hire Travis while we can, I believve he will get a coaching job and it won't be to far down the road either.

I'm still not quite sure about Hurtt as a coach. There's no doubt he's a fantastic recruiter but I don't see him on the same level coaching wise with Rocker.

Sadly, you're not going to see us get one like him. Rocker was the best in the biz.

I feel good that Chiz will hire a great coach.

Thigpen, Luper, Taylor, and Hurtt??? Number one recruiting class here we come!!! The weapons we'll get with the coaches we've got?!? Guys, Auburn could come out of this damn well. I will miss Rocker like everyone else. That said, let's make the best of his departure and I think our recruiting will go through the roof!

talk on some other boards are that Auburn previously offered Clint Hurtt and he turned us down after talking it over with Charlie Strong.  Now, Auburn has made a 2nd offer and Hurtt is down in Auburn to check things out.  Basically, Hurtt is on campus to meet the staff and see if he wants the job.  Again, this is the word out there from other posters.

Archived