DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

What about Tosh Lupoi? Great recruiter, good coach. I think may be the closest to being like Rocker in the NCAA. Recruited not only California, but Oregon, Massachusettes, North Carolina, and Georgia with this years recruiting class. Youngest full time coach in Pac-10. Rivals recruiter of the year. Energetic.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lupoi would be at the top of my list but he cheated in a game against Oregon this year by forcing players to fake injuries. I don't think that's the kind of character Coach Chizik wants on his staff. There's no doubt he's a great coach and recruiter, I just take issue with what he made players do in their game against Oregon. I think if we can get him, Lance Thompson would be a homerun hire.

Tolleson was fired (officially retired) by Texas, why would we want a coach Texas fired?

He worked with Chizik for two years while Gene was at Texas, for one thing...and for another, it seems he was going to be retained by Texas, but because of the way some things have gone down, he might would prefer to be at Auburn. Personally, I'd love to see it. He's a really good coach, and considered an outstanding recruiter. He's also been recruiting Texas almost exclusively for the last 13 years, so he would bring even more inroads into the heart of the best high school football in the country.

As of now, at least, he's my favorite for the position, but I have no inside info into it.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Lance Thompson and Ted Roof worked on the Georgia Tech staff together.

You're correct.

Mike Tolleson

A former defensive coordinator and veteran of 37 years in coaching, Mike Tolleson is in his 13th year as defensive tackles coach at Texas. He also serves as UT's special teams coordinator. Six of the Longhorn DTs he has tutored are currently in the NFL.

Last season, senior Lamarr Houston continued to excel at tackle after moving from defensive end before the 2008 season. After the departure of third-round draft pick Roy Miller to Tampa Bay, Houston emerged and tied for the team lead in TFL with 22, while adding eight sacks and 28 pressures. Houston achored the unit that helped the defense lead the nation in rushing defense (72.4 ypg) with senior Ben Alexander and sophomore Kheeston Randall combining to add 10 TFL.

First-team All-Big 12 selection Roy Miller anchored the position in 2008 following the departure of Frank Okam and Derek Lokey to graduation and the NFL. Miller amassed 49 tackles, 11 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 28 pressures, four PBD and a fumble recovery. Houston started at the other tackle spot and recorded 22 tackles, seven TFL and 11 pressures, while senior Aaron Lewis split time at tackle and end and earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors.

In 2007, Tolleson's unit was anchored by Okam, a third-team All-America selection, and Lokey, a first-team Academic All-America honoree. The senior duo started all 13 games and combined with Miller for 28 TFL, 37 pressures and seven sacks. Lokey also earned second-team All-Big 12 honors, while Miller was named honorable mention All-Big 12.

The 2006 season saw Texas set a school record by holding opponents to just 61.2 yards rushing per game (third NCAA) despite losing starting defensive tackle Lokey midway through the season. Lokey's replacement, Roy Miller, ended up leading the group in tackles with 39, while posting 3.5 sacks and six TFL. Frank Okam notched 38 tackles, two sacks and six TFL, while earning honorable mention All-Big 12 honors.

In 2005, Tolleson's defensive tackle unit helped hold opposing teams to 130.9 yards per game (33rd NCAA) on their way to a No. 10 ranking in total defense (302.9 ypg). Rodrique Wright earned consensus first-team All-America honors along with first-team All-Big 12 honors. Meanwhile, Frank Okam earned second-team All-Big 12 and Larry Dibbles was named honorable mention All-Big 12. Overall, the defensive tackles produced 156 tackles, 26 TFL and 6.5 sacks.

In 2004, Tolleson needed to replace Marcus Tubbs, a first-round NFL draft pick, and he relied on junior Larry Dibbles to team with Rodrique Wright. He also mentored two true freshmen who ended up contributing in Frank Okam and Derek Lokey. The group produced 117 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and five sacks while helping the defense rank 16th nationally (107.4 ypg) against the run. Both Dibbles and Wright were named second-team All-Big 12 and Okam earned first-team Freshman All-America from The Sporting News.

Tolleson helped Tubbs earn first team All-Big 12 honors in 2003. Tubbs and Wright, who was a consensus second-team All-Big 12 pick, combined to produce 148 tackles, 24 TFLs, 13 sacks and 53 pressures on the year.

A number of injuries faced the unit in 2002, but Tolleson honed the skills of Wright, who was a true freshman at the time and posted 13 TFL (No. 3 on UT's freshman list) and 4.5 sacks (No. 4 on UT's freshman list) en route to Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year honors.

Faced with the daunting task of replacing two of the nation's premier tackles in 2001, Tolleson guided Tubbs to All-Big 12 recognition and tutored Maurice Gordon, who posted a team-high 7.5 sacks and 16 TFL, in his transition from end to tackle. UT's tackles helped the Longhorns rank first nationally in total defense (236.2 ypg).

In 2000, UT's tackles helped Texas improve on its defensive numbers once again, limiting foes to just 94.0 rushing yards per game (12th/NCAA). That was the lowest opponent rushing total at UT since 1983. Leading the way once again was Hampton, who earned consensus first-team All-America honors and was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. With Rogers limited for part of the season due to an ankle injury, Tolleson guided Tubbs through a freshman season that saw him post 5.5 sacks (No. 3 on UT's freshman list) and 10 TFL (No. 5 on UT's frosh chart).

Hampton (54/third) and Rogers (53/fourth) both finished their careers ranked among UT's Top 5 in career TFL. In the 2001 NFL Draft, Hampton was selected in the first round (Pittsburgh Steelers) and Rogers in the second (Detroit Lions).

In 1999, Tolleson's defensive tackle unit not only helped UT rank 17th nationally in run defense (105.7 ypg) as compared to 104th in 1997, but it also produced the first defensive tackle tandem to earn first-team all-conference honors (Casey Hampton/Shaun Rogers) since 1971. Hampton also garnered first-team All-America honors and was selected as one of seven semifinalists for the Outland Trophy. Rogers posted a team-best 27 TFL in 1999 (No. 2 on the school's season list).

Prior to joining UT's staff, Tolleson guided both of his LSU starting tackles (Chuck Wiley, a two-time first-team All-SEC performer, and Anthony McFarland) to All-SEC honors over three seasons. He also helped LSU top the SEC and rank 11th nationally in scoring defense (16.3 ppg) and 26th in rushing defense (115.8 ypg) in 1997.

A 1970 graduate of Delta State, Tolleson began his coaching career at his alma mater as a student assistant after graduation. He then spent a year as an assistant coach at Lineville (Ala.) High School before returning to college coaching as a grad assistant at Livingston University (now the University of West Alabama) in 1972.

Tolleson earned a master's degree from Livingston in 1973 and returned to the high school ranks as an assistant at Guntersville (Ala.) High in 1973 and Minor High (Birmingham, Ala.) from 1974-75.

The native of Anniston, Ala., returned to Livingston and served as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator from 1976-78. He was defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech in `79. After one season, Tolleson became linebackers and defensive line coach at Arkansas from 1980-83. He helped mold an Arkansas defense that ranked first in the nation in scoring defense in `82.

Following four seasons with the Razorbacks, Tolleson entered the professional ranks in 1984 and spent two seasons as defensive line coach with the Birmingham Stallions (USFL). Birmingham led the USFL in total and rushing defense.

After his professional football coaching career, Tolleson became the inside linebackers coach at Stanford from 1989-91 and helped lead the Cardinal to the 1991 Aloha Bowl. He then moved on to the state of Texas, serving as an assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at UTEP in 1992. Tolleson spent two years as defensive ends coach at Southern Miss (1993-94) moving to LSU in 1995.

Tolleson was a two-year letterman at Tampa University before transferring to Delta State, where he lettered in football and track.

Tolleson and his wife, Wilda Sue, have three daughters, Michelle, Shannon and Heather. Michelle and her husband, Scott, have two children, a son, Caden, and a daughter, Devin. Shannon has a husband, Todd.

THE MIKE TOLLESON FILE

Hometown: Anniston, Ala.

High school: Anniston (Anniston, Ala.)

College: Delta State (1970)

Graduate degree: Livingston University (1973)

Years in coaching: 36

Wife: Wilda Sue

Children: Michelle, Shannon, Heather

Coaching Assignments

2000-present: Special Teams Coordinator/Defensive Tackles, Texas

1998-99: Defensive Tackles, Texas

1995-97: Defensive Line, LSU

1993-94: Defensive Ends, Southern Miss

1992: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, UTEP

1989-91: Inside Linebackers, Stanford

1984-85: Defensive Line, Birmingham (USFL)

1980-83: Linebackers/Defensive Line, Arkansas

1979: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Louisiana Tech

1976-78: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Livingston University

1974-75: Assistant Coach, Minor (Ala.) HS

1973: Assistant Coach, Guntersville (Ala.) HS

1972: Graduate Assistant, Livingston University

1971: Assistant Coach, Lineville (Ala.) HS

College Bowl Experience

2010: Rose Bowl: BCS National Championship, Texas

2009: Fiesta Bowl, Texas

2007: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2006: Alamo Bowl, Texas

2006: Rose Bowl, Texas (National Champions)

2005: Rose Bowl, Texas

2003: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2003: Cotton Bowl, Texas

2001: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2000: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2000: Cotton Bowl, Texas

1999: Cotton Bowl, Texas

1997: Independence Bowl, LSU

1996: Peach Bowl, LSU

1995: Independence Bowl, LSU

1991: Aloha Bowl, Stanford

1982: Bluebonnet Bowl, Arkansas

1981: Gator Bowl, Arkansas

1980: Hall of Fame Bowl, Arkansas

1980: Sugar Bowl, Arkansas

Not too shabby.  He'd be a great fit with this staff also.

I live in Atlanta so I am surrounded by UGA fans. One in particular has some pretty close connections to someone in their Athletic department and has been telling me for the past two years that the coaching staff at UGA is growing tired of Garner. According to this person, if he entertains another offer like he has in the past, they will let him go. Apparently Garner was not as heavily involved in recruiting this year (he was more of an overseer of recruitiing) as he has been in years past and this was intentional. Heard that many people on the staff did not get along with him because he did not want to recruit or play certain players (David Pollack was an example given). I would normally say that something like this coming from a UGA fan was sour grapes but he has been saying it for a long time now. Not trying to be negative, but just wanted to pass along what I have been hearing from the UGA side so TIFWIW.

I live in Atlanta so I am surrounded by UGA fans. One in particular has some pretty close connections to someone in their Athletic department and has been telling me for the past two years that the coaching staff at UGA is growing tired of Garner. According to this person, if he entertains another offer like he has in the past, they will let him go. Apparently Garner was not as heavily involved in recruiting this year (he was more of an overseer of recruitiing) as he has been in years past and this was intentional. Heard that many people on the staff did not get along with him because he did not want to recruit or play certain players (David Pollack was an example given). I would normally say that something like this coming from a UGA fan was sour grapes but he has been saying it for a long time now. Not trying to be negative, but just wanted to pass along what I have been hearing from the UGA side so TIFWIW.

I'm not under the impression that Chizik is interested in placing Garner on the staff; I think he already turned down the position once, and I doubt he'll get a second shot at it.

Rodney Garner is a definite possibility right now along with Kevin Greene and Mike Pelton.

While I will trust Coach Chizik, I have to say the only one of those three that would excite me in any fashion would be Kevin Greene.  

wde

Where is Pelton now? He does have some NFL background as well if I remember.

Found my own answer. I wouldn`t have a problem with him as a coach. Just curious as a recruiter.

It's nice that even though he left, he waited until after signing day to do so. I do not begrudge him one bit for making the jump to the NFL, because honestly that's probably the better type of promotion for him. He could carve a niche as a DL coach and make as much as a mid-major college head coach or he could do well and get promoted to DC, where he'd make college head coach money, or he could do either of those things and then come back to college as a head coach or coordinator with NFL pedigree to go along with the outstanding success he's had both as a player and coach in college.

No matter what, he's moving on up; exactly the way I like to see Auburn men go!

Mike Tolleson

A former defensive coordinator and veteran of 37 years in coaching, Mike Tolleson is in his 13th year as defensive tackles coach at Texas. He also serves as UT's special teams coordinator. Six of the Longhorn DTs he has tutored are currently in the NFL.

Last season, senior Lamarr Houston continued to excel at tackle after moving from defensive end before the 2008 season. After the departure of third-round draft pick Roy Miller to Tampa Bay, Houston emerged and tied for the team lead in TFL with 22, while adding eight sacks and 28 pressures. Houston achored the unit that helped the defense lead the nation in rushing defense (72.4 ypg) with senior Ben Alexander and sophomore Kheeston Randall combining to add 10 TFL.

First-team All-Big 12 selection Roy Miller anchored the position in 2008 following the departure of Frank Okam and Derek Lokey to graduation and the NFL. Miller amassed 49 tackles, 11 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 28 pressures, four PBD and a fumble recovery. Houston started at the other tackle spot and recorded 22 tackles, seven TFL and 11 pressures, while senior Aaron Lewis split time at tackle and end and earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors.

In 2007, Tolleson's unit was anchored by Okam, a third-team All-America selection, and Lokey, a first-team Academic All-America honoree. The senior duo started all 13 games and combined with Miller for 28 TFL, 37 pressures and seven sacks. Lokey also earned second-team All-Big 12 honors, while Miller was named honorable mention All-Big 12.

The 2006 season saw Texas set a school record by holding opponents to just 61.2 yards rushing per game (third NCAA) despite losing starting defensive tackle Lokey midway through the season. Lokey's replacement, Roy Miller, ended up leading the group in tackles with 39, while posting 3.5 sacks and six TFL. Frank Okam notched 38 tackles, two sacks and six TFL, while earning honorable mention All-Big 12 honors.

In 2005, Tolleson's defensive tackle unit helped hold opposing teams to 130.9 yards per game (33rd NCAA) on their way to a No. 10 ranking in total defense (302.9 ypg). Rodrique Wright earned consensus first-team All-America honors along with first-team All-Big 12 honors. Meanwhile, Frank Okam earned second-team All-Big 12 and Larry Dibbles was named honorable mention All-Big 12. Overall, the defensive tackles produced 156 tackles, 26 TFL and 6.5 sacks.

In 2004, Tolleson needed to replace Marcus Tubbs, a first-round NFL draft pick, and he relied on junior Larry Dibbles to team with Rodrique Wright. He also mentored two true freshmen who ended up contributing in Frank Okam and Derek Lokey. The group produced 117 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and five sacks while helping the defense rank 16th nationally (107.4 ypg) against the run. Both Dibbles and Wright were named second-team All-Big 12 and Okam earned first-team Freshman All-America from The Sporting News.

Tolleson helped Tubbs earn first team All-Big 12 honors in 2003. Tubbs and Wright, who was a consensus second-team All-Big 12 pick, combined to produce 148 tackles, 24 TFLs, 13 sacks and 53 pressures on the year.

A number of injuries faced the unit in 2002, but Tolleson honed the skills of Wright, who was a true freshman at the time and posted 13 TFL (No. 3 on UT's freshman list) and 4.5 sacks (No. 4 on UT's freshman list) en route to Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year honors.

Faced with the daunting task of replacing two of the nation's premier tackles in 2001, Tolleson guided Tubbs to All-Big 12 recognition and tutored Maurice Gordon, who posted a team-high 7.5 sacks and 16 TFL, in his transition from end to tackle. UT's tackles helped the Longhorns rank first nationally in total defense (236.2 ypg).

In 2000, UT's tackles helped Texas improve on its defensive numbers once again, limiting foes to just 94.0 rushing yards per game (12th/NCAA). That was the lowest opponent rushing total at UT since 1983. Leading the way once again was Hampton, who earned consensus first-team All-America honors and was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. With Rogers limited for part of the season due to an ankle injury, Tolleson guided Tubbs through a freshman season that saw him post 5.5 sacks (No. 3 on UT's freshman list) and 10 TFL (No. 5 on UT's frosh chart).

Hampton (54/third) and Rogers (53/fourth) both finished their careers ranked among UT's Top 5 in career TFL. In the 2001 NFL Draft, Hampton was selected in the first round (Pittsburgh Steelers) and Rogers in the second (Detroit Lions).

In 1999, Tolleson's defensive tackle unit not only helped UT rank 17th nationally in run defense (105.7 ypg) as compared to 104th in 1997, but it also produced the first defensive tackle tandem to earn first-team all-conference honors (Casey Hampton/Shaun Rogers) since 1971. Hampton also garnered first-team All-America honors and was selected as one of seven semifinalists for the Outland Trophy. Rogers posted a team-best 27 TFL in 1999 (No. 2 on the school's season list).

Prior to joining UT's staff, Tolleson guided both of his LSU starting tackles (Chuck Wiley, a two-time first-team All-SEC performer, and Anthony McFarland) to All-SEC honors over three seasons. He also helped LSU top the SEC and rank 11th nationally in scoring defense (16.3 ppg) and 26th in rushing defense (115.8 ypg) in 1997.

A 1970 graduate of Delta State, Tolleson began his coaching career at his alma mater as a student assistant after graduation. He then spent a year as an assistant coach at Lineville (Ala.) High School before returning to college coaching as a grad assistant at Livingston University (now the University of West Alabama) in 1972.

Tolleson earned a master's degree from Livingston in 1973 and returned to the high school ranks as an assistant at Guntersville (Ala.) High in 1973 and Minor High (Birmingham, Ala.) from 1974-75.

The native of Anniston, Ala., returned to Livingston and served as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator from 1976-78. He was defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech in `79. After one season, Tolleson became linebackers and defensive line coach at Arkansas from 1980-83. He helped mold an Arkansas defense that ranked first in the nation in scoring defense in `82.

Following four seasons with the Razorbacks, Tolleson entered the professional ranks in 1984 and spent two seasons as defensive line coach with the Birmingham Stallions (USFL). Birmingham led the USFL in total and rushing defense.

After his professional football coaching career, Tolleson became the inside linebackers coach at Stanford from 1989-91 and helped lead the Cardinal to the 1991 Aloha Bowl. He then moved on to the state of Texas, serving as an assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at UTEP in 1992. Tolleson spent two years as defensive ends coach at Southern Miss (1993-94) moving to LSU in 1995.

Tolleson was a two-year letterman at Tampa University before transferring to Delta State, where he lettered in football and track.

Tolleson and his wife, Wilda Sue, have three daughters, Michelle, Shannon and Heather. Michelle and her husband, Scott, have two children, a son, Caden, and a daughter, Devin. Shannon has a husband, Todd.

THE MIKE TOLLESON FILE

Hometown: Anniston, Ala.

High school: Anniston (Anniston, Ala.)

College: Delta State (1970)

Graduate degree: Livingston University (1973)

Years in coaching: 36

Wife: Wilda Sue

Children: Michelle, Shannon, Heather

Coaching Assignments

2000-present: Special Teams Coordinator/Defensive Tackles, Texas

1998-99: Defensive Tackles, Texas

1995-97: Defensive Line, LSU

1993-94: Defensive Ends, Southern Miss

1992: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, UTEP

1989-91: Inside Linebackers, Stanford

1984-85: Defensive Line, Birmingham (USFL)

1980-83: Linebackers/Defensive Line, Arkansas

1979: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Louisiana Tech

1976-78: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Livingston University

1974-75: Assistant Coach, Minor (Ala.) HS

1973: Assistant Coach, Guntersville (Ala.) HS

1972: Graduate Assistant, Livingston University

1971: Assistant Coach, Lineville (Ala.) HS

College Bowl Experience

2010: Rose Bowl: BCS National Championship, Texas

2009: Fiesta Bowl, Texas

2007: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2006: Alamo Bowl, Texas

2006: Rose Bowl, Texas (National Champions)

2005: Rose Bowl, Texas

2003: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2003: Cotton Bowl, Texas

2001: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2000: Holiday Bowl, Texas

2000: Cotton Bowl, Texas

1999: Cotton Bowl, Texas

1997: Independence Bowl, LSU

1996: Peach Bowl, LSU

1995: Independence Bowl, LSU

1991: Aloha Bowl, Stanford

1982: Bluebonnet Bowl, Arkansas

1981: Gator Bowl, Arkansas

1980: Hall of Fame Bowl, Arkansas

1980: Sugar Bowl, Arkansas

Not too shabby.  He'd be a great fit with this staff also.

I think your keeping something from us!  :-\

If it turns out that coach Chizik hires Mike Tolleson, you think he can recruit kids away from states like Texas and bring them to the Plains? he must be a great coach and great recruiter.

If it turns out that coach Chizik hires Mike Tolleson, you think he can recruit kids away from states like Texas and bring them to the Plains? he must be a great coach and great recruiter.

yes he definitley could, he would also be a great instate recruiter since he used to coach high school football in alabama.

Archived