DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodney Garner is a definite possibility right now along with Kevin Greene and Mike Pelton.

While I will trust Coach Chizik, I have to say the only one of those three that would excite me in any fashion would be Kevin Greene.  

wde

Don't believe everything you hear on Garner.  He's a lot like Trooper Taylor in that if you have him, you love him.  If you don't have him then he's a scum bag cheater.  He's a great guy, a heck of a recruiter, and anyone who thinks he's not a good coach is mistaken.  Imagine Garner, Taylor, and Thig all working together on the recruiting trail.  That's just sick!

I don't have a problem with Garner regarding the recruiting stuff/so-called baggage. However; he has had a ton of high profile talent at thuga on the DL and they seem to underachieve on the field.  I hope you are right, but you are the first person that I trust (in terms of message board info) that has given Garner high marks as an on the field coach.

wde

UGA has an overall leadership problem that I believe has something to do with the lack of on-field performance.  Garner is well-respected in coaching circles and has put several solid D-Linemen in the league.  I  heard from someone today that has close connections to our staff who shares in the excitement of several others in the possibility of Garner coming back to Auburn.

Preface: I have absolutely no info other than what's posted here.

That said . . . I smell RG looking for leverage and/or a raise at UGA. He's used AU for that purpose before, and I wonder if he would try it again.

THAT said . . . This ain't CGC's first rodeo, and I trust his process and his eventual hire.

WDE

There's no telling.  Like I said earlier in this thread, I have no favorite right now, personally.  I am just informing ya'll of some things I'm hearing.  I definitely have all the respect in the world for Gene Chizik and will be more than happy with whoever he chooses.  The man knows what he's doing and his resume shows it.  HA!  That should go w/o saying.

Your insight is much appreciated!!

Wonder how long it will take to hire one.

Depends on how fast they can sign their name.

Are you saying an offer has been made???

No, I'm saying from the time that they begin signing their name on their contract 'till the time that they have completed said signature, is the exact time it will take for us to hire a coach. 

Anniston, Al native Mike Tolleson has also been mentioned. He's currently the Texas Longhorns d-line coach. He was there when Chizik was at Texas. He has also coached at LSU. He resigned from Texas earlier this year but is said to remain on the job. His relationship with Chizik may be enough to pull him back to his native state.

looks like mike pelton is a leading candidate

I like the read on Pelton

SIAP, but here's a bio on Pelton

Apparently they copied and pasted it for his new job

http://www.ragincajuns.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15400&ATCLID=205072983

does anyone know anything about him as a recruiter?

Anniston, Al native Mike Tolleson has also been mentioned. He's currently the Texas Longhorns d-line coach. He was there when Chizik was at Texas. He has also coached at LSU. He resigned from Texas earlier this year but is said to remain on the job. His relationship with Chizik may be enough to pull him back to his native state.

Like the UCF coach, Tolleson seems like an interesting hire as well.   Pelton is not one of my favorites for this job.  That is not to say Pelton is not a great guy, but like Pat Nix, just because he is an AU man and great guy doesn't necessarily make him a good coach. It will be hard for anyone to replace TRocker, but IMO TRocker is exponentially better than Pelton (or Cross, (and Garner and Hurtt in terms of on the field coaching)).  That being said, Jackson-Sullivan has heard folks close to the staff say good things about Garner's coaching ability so that gives me more hope about Garner.

wde

Garner may be a good coach and a great recruiter but his Auburn past is still there. We can complain and whine about everyone calling AU cheaters all we want but if Garner comes back to AU, it sends the wrong message.

There is no simple or P.C. way to put this and I know it won't be popular. I hope that Rane and Lowder aren't pushing this hire because if so we're all in deep crap.

TIM CROSS - Currently: None

GIFF SMITH - Currently: Buffalo Bills

RODNEY GARNER - Currently: Georgia

JIM PANAGOS - Currently: Central Florida

CLINT HURTT - Currently: Louisville

I think Rodney Garner would be great. He was a very good DL at Auburn and is a great recruiter.

What about Lance Thompson?

.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I would actually really like this hire. He seems to be a really good coach, and can recruit too. If I'm not mistaken he was bama's recruiting coordinator when he left for ut.

Like the UCF coach, Tolleson seems like an interesting hire as well.   Pelton is not one of my favorites for this job.  That is not to say Pelton is not a great guy, but like Pat Nix, just because he is an AU man and great guy doesn't necessarily make him a good coach. It will be hard for anyone to replace TRocker, but IMO TRocker is exponentially better than Pelton (or Cross, (and Garner and Hurtt in terms of on the field coaching)).  That being said, Jackson-Sullivan has heard folks close to the staff say good things about Garner's coaching ability so that gives me more hope about Garner.

wde

Look at what he did while at Troy.  He had the 4th ranked defense one year and 14 another.  Also look at what he put into the NFL in Osi Umenyura (sp) and Demarcus Ware.  That's just what I know about him because my dad forces me to follow Troy.  I'm sure he has had other great accomplishments.  I for one, would be pumped to have him, we could do much worse. 

Archived