DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

Any of the mods have any insider information?

Coach Chizik is keeping this one real close to the vest and is taking his time with it.  I would think I'll start hearing some stuff in the coming days but, as of right now, nobody really knows anything of substance to report.

Thanks for the update...I will work to have patience.  :)

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach Chizik is keeping this one real close to the vest and is taking his time with it.  I would think I'll start hearing some stuff in the coming days but, as of right now, nobody really knows anything of substance to report.

Thanks for the update...I will work to have patience.   :)

No prob.  I will say, I'm hearing this morning that Clint Hurtt from Louisville (a guy I mentioned as soon as it was known that Coach Rocker would not be back) is definitely a candidate and is being looked at hard.

See, I told ya'll I figured I would start hearing some stuff that was worth talking about soon.  :laugh:

No prob.  I will say, I'm hearing this morning that Clint Hurtt from Louisville (a guy I mentioned as soon as it was known that Coach Rocker would not be back) is definitely a candidate and is being looked at hard.

See, I told ya'll I figured I would start hearing some stuff that was worth talking about soon.   :laugh:

That was quick.  Who do you think would be the best overall pick as a coach and recruiter?  Sorry if you have already made your pick, if so I missed it.

See, I told ya'll I figured I would start hearing some stuff that was worth talking about soon.   :laugh:

That was quick.  Who do you think would be the best overall pick as a coach and recruiter?  Sorry if you have already made your pick, if so I missed it.

Coaching wise, I really like Dan Brooks at Clemson and Dick Bumpus (problem with him is that he's their D-Coordinator and he'd be leaving that job to be our D-Line/D-End Coach only) at TCU.  Recruiting wise, I like Hurtt.  Hands down.  I don't know much about his coaching ability but you wouldn't think that Charlie Strong would be so high on him for his recruiting alone.

I know that didn't really answer your question but it's all I've got for now.  I really haven't made up my mind on who I like the most overall.

Coaching wise, I really like Dan Brooks at Clemson and Dick Bumpus (problem with him is that he's their D-Coordinator and he'd be leaving that job to be our D-Line/D-End Coach only) at TCU.  Recruiting wise, I like Hurtt.  Hands down.  I don't know much about his coaching ability but you wouldn't think that Charlie Strong would be so high on him for his recruiting alone.

I know that didn't really answer your question but it's all I've got for now.  I really haven't made up my mind on who I like the most overall.

The thing that scares me about Hurtt is that when I googled him, he didn't get alot of glowing reviews in terms of his on the field coaching/performance of the DL when he was at Miami.  Recruiting wise, no question, he is good, but I would rather have this hire be tilted toward to the coaching side.  I am not saying I want a great coach, but a terrible recruiter, I just think we need another good coach on the D side of the ball.  We lost our best coach on D in TRocker.

wde

The thing that scares me about Hurtt is that when I googled him, he didn't get alot of glowing reviews in terms of his on the field coaching/performance of the DL when he was at Miami.  Recruiting wise, no question, he is good, but I would rather have this hire be tilted toward to the coaching side.  I am not saying I want a great coach, but a terrible recruiter, I just think we need another good coach on the D side of the ball.  We lost our best coach on D in TRocker.

wde

Yeah.  That's sorda what I was trying to say in a round-about way.  I'm not sold on his coaching ability bc, quite frankly, I know little about it.  And I do believe, if we have to choose, that we need a guy who's more of a proven coach than recruiter at this particular time with these young guys on our DL.  

We already have some monster recruiters on staff.  I'll definitely trust Coach Chizik on this one and actually will not completely rule out him moving someone from our current staff to that job and hiring someone to fill another position.

Rodney Garner is a definite possibility right now along with Kevin Greene and Mike Pelton.

While I will trust Coach Chizik, I have to say the only one of those three that would excite me in any fashion would be Kevin Greene.  

wde

Rodney Garner is a definite possibility right now along with Kevin Greene and Mike Pelton.

While I will trust Coach Chizik, I have to say the only one of those three that would excite me in any fashion would be Kevin Greene.  

wde

Don't believe everything you hear on Garner.  He's a lot like Trooper Taylor in that if you have him, you love him.  If you don't have him then he's a scum bag cheater.  He's a great guy, a heck of a recruiter, and anyone who thinks he's not a good coach is mistaken.  Imagine Garner, Taylor, and Thig all working together on the recruiting trail.  That's just sick!

wde

Don't believe everything you hear on Garner.  He's a lot like Trooper Taylor in that if you have him, you love him.  If you don't have him then he's a scum bag cheater.  He's a great guy, a heck of a recruiter, and anyone who thinks he's not a good coach is mistaken.  Imagine Garner, Taylor, and Thig all working together on the recruiting trail.  That's just sick!

I don't have a problem with Garner regarding the recruiting stuff/so-called baggage. However; he has had a ton of high profile talent at thuga on the DL and they seem to underachieve on the field.  I hope you are right, but you are the first person that I trust (in terms of message board info) that has given Garner high marks as an on the field coach.

wde

wde

I don't have a problem with Garner regarding the recruiting stuff/so-called baggage. However; he has had a ton of high profile talent at thuga on the DL and they seem to underachieve on the field.  I hope you are right, but you are the first person that I trust (in terms of message board info) that has given Garner high marks as an on the field coach.

wde

UGA has an overall leadership problem that I believe has something to do with the lack of on-field performance.  Garner is well-respected in coaching circles and has put several solid D-Linemen in the league.  I  heard from someone today that has close connections to our staff who shares in the excitement of several others in the possibility of Garner coming back to Auburn.

wde

wde

UGA has an overall leadership problem that I believe has something to do with the lack of on-field performance.  Garner is well-respected in coaching circles and has put several solid D-Linemen in the league.  I  heard from someone today that has close connections to our staff who shares in the excitement of several others in the possibility of Garner coming back to Auburn.

Preface: I have absolutely no info other than what's posted here.

That said . . . I smell RG looking for leverage and/or a raise at UGA. He's used AU for that purpose before, and I wonder if he would try it again.

THAT said . . . This ain't CGC's first rodeo, and I trust his process and his eventual hire.

WDE

wde

wde

Preface: I have absolutely no info other than what's posted here.

That said . . . I smell RG looking for leverage and/or a raise at UGA. He's used AU for that purpose before, and I wonder if he would try it again.

THAT said . . . This ain't CGC's first rodeo, and I trust his process and his eventual hire.

WDE

There's no telling.  Like I said earlier in this thread, I have no favorite right now, personally.  I am just informing ya'll of some things I'm hearing.  I definitely have all the respect in the world for Gene Chizik and will be more than happy with whoever he chooses.  The man knows what he's doing and his resume shows it.  HA!  That should go w/o saying.

Kevin Greene would be an outstanding hire. He would be more balanced in that he's a solid coach and I bet he could be a solid recruiter. Frankly I'm not sure I want Garner.... Hurtt is intriguing cuz he is a somewhat up and coming coach with outstanding connections in FL. He would be a solid higher. I'm confident Gene will make the right choice and fortunately he is in no rush to have to make it

Archived