DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we had a great DL coach that was also a great recruiter. I don't think we can risk taking a step back and must have a replacement that can coach and RECRUIT at a high level. Someone above mentioned if we got a solid DL that was not a great recruiter we had plenty of good recruiters so we would be OK. I disagree because Gus may get a HC shot after next season and then it becomes that much more important that our OC is a stellar recruiter or we will be down two recruiters if the new OC can't hang with the best. Borges was a good OC, but NOBODY came to Auburn saying I am here because of AL.

I also think that given Roof's goal of getting back to the HC ranks himself this DL needs to be talented enough that he is upwardly mobile should Roof get an opportunity over the next two years. Selfishly, I would like for Chizik to make some positive news with this hire to offset some of the "NCAA still investigating" hate being spewed by the bama press.  

War Eagle !

I'm not so sure. I'd bet he's pretty comfortable at Clemson and he doesn't really have any ties to anyone on the staff outside of Coach Trooper when they were on the same staff at Tennessee. His resume is very impressive though and would be a nice addition.

Final Verdict: With all the talent that Clemson has brought in, I'd say he wouldn't want to make a lateral move when his future at his current school is bright. (talent wise).

Westbrook, where did you get the Toomer's Oaks pic?  That's a great slogan.  Is it on any shirts, signs, or stickers that you know of?  I'd love to have something with that on it.

Westbrook, where did you get the Toomer's Oaks pic?  That's a great slogan.  Is it on any shirts, signs, or stickers that you know of?  I'd love to have something with that on it.

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=31782.0

Got it from that thread. Not sure about any of the others. I'm sure a shirt will be made out of it before long though if it hasn't been made already.

Hurtt, while seemingly a good recruiter was not known as a good coach at UM.  Garner is not known as a good coach either.  TRocker was/is a good coach (the best on the field coach on the D staff).  The need for this hire to be a very good/solid on the field coach is greater than the need for this hire to be great recruiter.

wde

You really don't want Garner. I'll stop here.

I don't know what to think about Garner.......

A lot of people have written or posted about Garner and his supposed "reputation" as a recruiter for UGA, but has there ever been any charge leveled against him that has caused NCAA to investigate? I'm not aware of any, but I could be wrong. Could someone tell me if there has been any investigation into UGA recruiting because of Rodney Garner?

I may be wrong but I think Garner`s reputation actually started when he was at UT. He hasn`t really had any issues at UGA but the reputation continues. Just my thoughts.

It has been long rumored that he was the pay guy when Dye and Bowden were coaching at Auburn. Bowden told that to some reporter named Paul Davis. Depending on which side you take determines what you choose to believe. Personally, I think Bowden was a piece of crap but that doesn't make him wrong. I do not want him around the program again. Even if he's completely legal, it won't appear so and I don't think he is.

Since some won't believe me unless it's linked: http://www.illegalshift.com/2010/11/18/remember-the-terry-bowden-interview-in-2001/college-football/

Hurtt, while seemingly a good recruiter was not known as a good coach at UM.  Garner is not known as a good coach either.  TRocker was/is a good coach (the best on the field coach on the D staff).  The need for this hire to be a very good/solid on the field coach is greater than the need for this hire to be great recruiter.

wde

You really don't want Garner. I'll stop here.

I definitely do not want Garner.  He is not a good enough coach.  FWIW, Hurtt sounds alot like Garner.  My personal favorites are the guy from UCF as #1 followed by Giff Smith (who I believe was considered when we hired TRocker).

wde

One reason that Brooks may consider a move is that our staff, HC etc, seem to be in a better long term scenario. Clemson is notorious for having great tallent but not translating the talent into key wins on the field. I would think that the Clemson HC, Sweeny is on the hot seat this year.

He may see this as a step up to better job security, plus get a raise out of it.

Whomever CGC hires will be the right person, first because he knows defense and second because he knows how to put together a staff that works well together, recruits well, and teaches the fundamentals.  If he hires Dan Brooks that's OK with me; however, I see him hiring someone who is younger.

Any of the mods have any insider information?

Coach Chizik is keeping this one real close to the vest and is taking his time with it.  I would think I'll start hearing some stuff in the coming days but, as of right now, nobody really knows anything of substance to report.

Archived