DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

I think its just the fact that we are hearing nothing on this search....and as fans, we do want to know what is going on and how the search is going. I know it is fun to speculate/play the guessing game and talk about who WE would possibly go after in this. But after a while we just wanna hear the real deal and know where the search is going/looking.

Man, it does feel like this is taking a while, but the good thought on that is that it must mean Coach Chiz and Co. are taking their time at finding the BEST fit for the job.

:believe:        :wedance:

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this doesn't mean we're having a hard time finding people who are interested.

If the hire is someone like Pelton or Brumbaugh then that will mean we had trouble. 

wde

I hope this doesn't mean we're having a hard time finding people who are interested.

If the hire is someone like Pelton or Brumbaugh then that will mean we had trouble. 

wde

I get the impression that it would be difficult to find/hire someone at this time of year. Most position coaches would have settled in and conceded for the year on their current positions; most of the coaching carousel has already taken place.

You're kidding right? We are Auburn. Defending National Champions. We play in the SEC and we offer so much more than any other school.. We don't have hard times finding people to work on our staff.

Coach Chizik took his time and made a great decision, IMO.

What's the read on Pelton?  He is an AU man.  Looks like he has jumped around a bit and was under CGC at ISU.

Could be that people turned us down. I'm not sure, but how is this suppose to impress defensive line recruits?

The guy can coach and his results will speak for themselves. You can't hire the best all the time but I think Pelton, if these rumors are true, will do well. He has a history of putting players in the NFL, which is a selling point of his, and the stats of the D-lines at the couple of programs he's been at have all been the most improved aspects of the teams of those respective programs. If true, I think we could do a lot worse than hiring this guy. I think it will be good.

What's the read on Pelton?  He is an AU man.  Looks like he has jumped around a bit and was under CGC at ISU.

Other than being an AU man, there is nothing on his resume that suggests this is homerun hire based on past history or even potential.  Pelton went from Troy to ISU to Vandy (because Chizik chose not to bring him to AU) then to ULL.  Not exactly an upwardly mobile resume until now.  I hope for the best and wish Pelton the best.  We needed a great coach to replace Rocker.  Hope we got that in Pelton.

wde

Remember when people complained about hiring Coach Chizik? People who are doing the same with this hire, need to shut the hell up. Seriously.

I'll eat crow all day if I am proven wrong. But I think we could have made a bigger hire. Hopefully he can recruit. But chizik then surrounded himself with great assistants, calm down Barney

Remember when people complained about hiring Coach Chizik? People who are doing the same with this hire, need to shut the hell up. Seriously.

Yes, and the criticism of the Chizik hire greatly quieted once Chizik hired the staff at AU which had a total of one on the field coach (and the ST coach at that) from ISU.

wde

I'll eat crow all day if I am proven wrong. But I think we could have made a bigger hire. Hopefully he can recruit. But chizik then surrounded himself with great assistants, calm down Barney

Exactly. Why question him on hiring assistants then?

Sometimes its better to not say anything than say I hope we didn't hire him. And you pointed out why you should trust this hire.. You said Chizik surrounded himself with great assistants on this staff before so what makes this hire different? Chizik hasn't done anything wrong with hiring assistants so why doubt this one?

BTW, he coached Umenyiora and Ware at Troy.

I just personally cannot believe CGC, didn't call all you guys with national championships on your resume to ask your erstwhile opinions of who to hire. Tolleson, though I know him personally and like him immensely, is getting a little long in the tooth. There must be a reason for CGC to hire the man he hired. If you are free to critique the hire, the opinion is open to critique as well. Barney is infinitely more right than he is wrong. We could have made a bigger hire when Coach Chizik was hired too, on the front end of it and from a public perspective. I'd bet you won't say that now.

Those assistants were already considered great when hired, nobody credible has even reported this yet so why are we arguing?

4 of the 8 that he hired were considered great before reaching AU. Malzahn, Troop, Luper, Rocker.

Like I said before, Trooper, Gus, Luper, Rocker, Grimes, Thigpen, and Lolley were ll great assistants before we hired them. Troy had two coaches  coaching the defensive line so he helped coach Ware and Osi. Osi hit a freak growth spurt his freshman year too

. So thigpen wasn't great? Grimes coached pretty good offensive lines at Boise and colorado. Lolley has always been a good coach.

Thigpen was coaching LB at UNC.. Big-time program right there. Grimes wasn't known as the top OL Coach in the country. Lolley has been at AU forever. When he was first hired, he didn't have much on his resume either.

Give the guy a chance and trust who Chizik hires. I promise you Chizik knows more of his capabilities and what he'll do with our DL than the general public.

Thigpen was also a top 25 recruiter there, oooo. And Grimes was a good recruiter and coach at CU. But when Chizik hired Lolley he was already known as a good coach.

I'm going to give him a chance I just know that we are Auburn and could have hired better, that's it.

I just personally cannot believe CGC, didn't call all you guys with national championships on your resume to ask your erstwhile opinions of who to hire. Tolleson, though I know him personally and like him immensely, is getting a little long in the tooth. There must be a reason for CGC to hire the man he hired. If you are free to critique the hire, the opinion is open to critique as well. Barney is infinitely more right than he is wrong. We could have made a bigger hire when Coach Chizik was hired too, on the front end of it and from a public perspective. I'd bet you won't say that now.

:bow::thumbsup:

Archived