DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be better to get as much NFL experience in the coaching ranks as we can, or stick with college centric coaches, like most of these appear to be?

Seems like Chizik has focused on great recruiters first.

Would it be better to get as much NFL experience in the coaching ranks as we can, or stick with college centric coaches, like most of these appear to be?

Agreed, and I hope he keeps it that way. Gotta have the skills to pay the bills!

Agreed, and I hope he keeps it that way. Gotta have the skills to pay the bills!

I agree - nowadays, you gotta be able to recruit and sell the program and attract top talent. However, if your coaches can't coach 'em up, then you'll be labeled as another UGA in terms of having all the talent in the world and not doing anything with it. I'd like to see some NFL experience in the coaching staff (be it as a player and/or coach), use that as a selling point in of itself and have a good coach, who can really coach lights out. So I like the recruiting emphasis, but for me personally, I'd rather see coaching cred first, recruiting second (results usually speak for themselves).

I hear Jeff Fisher needs a job.

I know, it's far-fetched. But hey, one can hope.

I think he does have a son on the team, right? maybe not quite as far-fetched as it sounds??    :dunno:

:we: 

ha whats fisher's specialty?

Fisher has a defensive pedigree. I think he was a safety. His son is a walk on DB.

Hurtt, while seemingly a good recruiter was not known as a good coach at UM.  Garner is not known as a good coach either.  TRocker was/is a good coach (the best on the field coach on the D staff).  The need for this hire to be a very good/solid on the field coach is greater than the need for this hire to be great recruiter.

wde

Seems like Tim Cross could have a edge since he worked with Coach Roof at Minnesota. I was kind of worried about that until I read his bio. He sounds like a great coach on the field and was listed by rivals as a top 25 recruiter. 

BTW thank you DWWD34 for the consolidated links to the bios.

Yep

TIM CROSS - gophersports bio

GIFF SMITH - buffalobills bio

RODNEY GARNER - georgiadogs bio

JIM PANAGOS - ucfatheletics bio

CLINT HURTT - uoflsports bio

This is what was posted earlier today.  Most people like Hurtt bc of his recruting and FL ties.

I believe these are the names. Could be wrong.

TIM CROSS - gophersports bio

GIFF SMITH - buffalobills bio

RODNEY GARNER - georgiadogs bio

JIM PANAGOS - ucfatheletics bio

CLINT HURTT - uoflsports bio

How about Leon Lett former two time pro bowler with the Cowboys?  Currently coaching at University of Louisiana Monroe.  I saw a segment about how he has turned his life around after drugs and is coaching DLine there.  A couple of Super Bowl rings would be neat for a recruit to see....

Archived