DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we interview Jim Panagos. He was the defensive line coach of the year in 2010 and is a young, rising defensive mind.

He knows how to make aaron murray  :'(.

Chizik built this team by hiring coaches that were also rock solid recruiters. We can't take a step back is all I know and that is a tall order replacing someone like Rocker. Making it more challenging is the media doing all they can to steer candidates elsewhere. Pull off another great hire coach !

War Eagle !

I'd take Rodney Garner or Terrell Williams over Tim Cross because their coaching / recruiting profile is a lot better.

Rodney Garner can recruit but his coaching profile is way less than average given the talent he has had to work with at thuga.

wde

Garner would not be a bad hire. If you'll remember, his defensive line in 2002 was probably the best in the country when Georgia won the East that year. He is also one of the best recruiters in the country and he is an Auburn grad.

Rodney Garner would certainly spark some debate amongst us. He is an Auburn guy and a great recruiter, but despite raking in 4-5 star studs year after year, UGA's Dline has consistently underperformed the past few years. Alot of high profile recruits over there just seem to disappear for some reason. Personally I dont see him leaving after assembling the "dream team" ..... *puke*

Rodney Garner would certainly spark some debate amongst us. He is an Auburn guy and a great recruiter, but despite raking in 4-5 star studs year after year, UGA's Dline has consistently underperformed the past few years. Alot of high profile recruits over there just seem to disappear for some reason. Personally I dont see him leaving after assembling the "dream team" ..... *puke*

If I were Coach Garner, I'd jump at any opportunity to escape the Titanic at Georgia.

also with Garner come the same old dirty recruiting questions.  Why is it when he was at AUburn he had to be dirty and now that he is with thuga, he's recruiter extrordinare with what seems like no question of integrity.  I know he and tiny terry were oil and water but terry is a bitter little tatter tot.  I think it would be a little risky to hire Rodney with the watchful eye so closely watching us right now. I'd rather see the Chiz go in a different diection but who am I?

also with Garner come the same old dirty recruiting questions.  Why is it when he was at AUburn he had to be dirty and now that he is with thuga, he's recruiter extrordinare with what seems like no question of integrity.  I know he and tiny terry were oil and water but terry is a bitter little tatter tot.  I think it would be a little risky to hire Rodney with the watchful eye so closely watching us right now. I'd rather see the Chiz go in a different diection but who am I?

You are someone that happens to be correct. His Auburn past doesn't cause an issue at UGAy but it dang sure would at Auburn.

I hope coach Chizik doesn't hire Tim Cross. Heck Minnesota's new coach fired him and all the other coaches on that staff. If he was that good of a coach/recruiter, why didn't Minnesota's new new guy keep Cross?

I hope coach Chizik doesn't hire Tim Cross. Heck Minnesota's new coach fired him and all the other coaches on that staff. If he was that good of a coach/recruiter, why didn't Minnesota's new new guy keep Cross?

Mainly because the new coach at Minnesota has had the same staff for the past 20 years. He brings them with him wherever he goes.

It remains to be seen what kind of recruiter Panagos is. Central Florida doesn't recruit very many 4 or 5 star players, but players seem to like his intensity and passion on the field.

Recruiting for central florida can't be easy. Name has alot to do with recruiting.  He would be known to coaches in florida and auburn's name will carry alot more weight than ucf.

Jim Panagos:

Jim Panagos is in his fourth campaign in Orlando, serving as UCF's defensive line coach. He came to the Knights after spending four years as an assistant in the National Football League.

Popular coaching website FootballScoop.com named Panagos its national Defensive Line Coach of the Year in 2009 after a season in which the Knights led Conference USA in several defensive categories en route to a berth in the St. Petersburg Bowl. UCF's 82.8 yards per game in rushing defense ranked fourth in the nation behind only Alabama, Texas and TCU, all of which played in BCS bowls. Bruce Miller (13) and Jarvis Geathers (11) both hit double digits in sacks while tackle Torell Troup was an early second round NFL Draft pick by the Buffalo Bills. Miller was named the C-USA Defensive Player of the Year.

In 2008, UCF's defensive line was one of the strongest in the country. The group helped the Knights rank first in C-USA in three categories - rushing defense, pass efficiency defense and tackles for loss. UCF recorded 8.62 tackles for loss per game, good for third in the country. The team ranked second in C-USA in total defense, holding foes to just 333.75 yards a contest. Troup garnered a spot on the All-C-USA Second Team.

UCF experienced immediate success in Panagos' first year, going 10-4 in 2007, winning the C-USA Championship crown and participating in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. The Knights' defensive front showed great improvement during the season. The squad recorded 39 sacks on the season, which ranked first in C-USA and 24th nationally.

Panagos helped three Knights gain individual honors during the campaign. Leger Douzable (49 tackles, 7.5 sacks) was an All-C-USA First Team pick and fellow senior defensive lineman Keith Shologan (33 tackles, 2.5 sacks) was named to the all-league second team. Miller totaled 38 tackles and 7.0 sacks and was named to the All-C-USA Freshman Team.

Both Douzable (Minnesota) and Shologan (San Diego) signed free-agent contracts with NFL squads. Shologan was also the fourth overall selection in the Canadian Football League Draft by Saskatchewan.

Prior to moving to Orlando, Panagos was on Minnesota's staff in the NFL. In 2005, he served as the Vikings' assistant defensive line and assistant special teams coach. During the 2004 campaign, Panagos helped rookies Spencer Johnson and Darrion Scott take on starting roles at defensive tackle and defensive end, respectively. Panagos worked with Kevin Williams that season as the all-pro led all NFL defensive tackles with 11.5 sacks.

Panagos joined the Minnesota staff in 2002 as the defensive quality control assistant. He contributed to the Vikings' record-breaking season on the ground. For the first time in team history, the Vikings led the NFL in rushing with 2,507 yards.

From 1989-92, Panagos was a defensive lineman at Maryland. A two-time letterwinner, he holds the school single-season record for blocked kicks with five in 1992. That same season, he led the Terrapins in sacks (5) and tackles for loss (12).

In 1993, he began his coaching career as the assistant defensive line coach at his alma mater. Before joining the Terrapins, Panagos spent four years teaching mathematics and coaching football, as well as several other sports, at the C.R. James Alternative School in Tampa, Fla. He also volunteered with Tampa's YMCA football program.

Panagos worked in sales for the Safelite auto glass company from 1994-97. He earned his bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Maryland in 1993.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., he attended East Islip High School on Long Island, where he earned first-team all-state honors in football. Panagos and his wife Maureen have three children: Jack, Hayden and Olivia.

Coaching Experience

• UCF, 2007-Present

Defensive Line

• Minnesota Vikings, 2002-05

Defensive Line Assistant/Special Teams Assistant (2004-05), Defensive Quality Control Assistant (2003), Offensive Quality Control Assistant (2002)

• C.R. James (Fla.) Alternative School, 1994-97

Assistant Coach

• Maryland, 1993

Defensive Line Assistant

Coach Chizik is going to take his time and get the right man for the job.  If you are too preoccupied to get this simple message then you need to step away and get back on your medications again.

As for the reference to Palmer Bedsole, Jr., I think individuals with this mindset are full of crap.  If you believe that someone out of a job is not worthy of consideration for the next opportunity available you are quite possibly making a great mistake.  I have known some outstanding individuals in my 50 plus years who were unemployed at one time or another during their careers due to circumstances outside of their control.  These individuals proved to be strong contributors, once they were able to secure a new opportunity.  You should understand the circumstances involved before simply allowing a generality to set precedent on an individual. 

At the end of the day, Gene Chizik is going to acquire the best man for the job who brings the strongest assets to the AUBURN program for continued success both on and off the playing field.

Trust me, I want us to find someone who is the right fit and the right coach. But at the same time, I think we should have been more prepared to find a replacement. Coach Rocker had been talking with the Titans for 2 weeks, and in that amount of time we could have already had people lined up.

Paganos is honestly my top choice that I think would be a legit option right now. Second would be Williams at A&M, but I doubt we are looking that direction. I love what I see in Paganos though.

If I were Coach Garner, I'd jump at any opportunity to escape the Titanic at Georgia.

To be completely honest, I think Georgia is going to be the team to watch this year. Remember the last time Richt had a freshman quarterback? UGA had a trying year, losing four out of five games in the middle of the season...but then Matthew Stafford found his groove. Unfortunately for us, it happened to be in Jordan-Hare Stadium. The following season they won the Sugar Bowl.

Richt really did end up with a dream team of in state talent, if only because of Crowell and Drew. With the talent already there and the talent coming in, Richt will find a way to keep his job. He always does.

Archived