DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think he has interviewed yet.  He is currently out of a coaching job because U of M fired Brewster and his whole staff, including Tim Cross.

Terrell (pronounced ta-RELL) Williams was named the defensive line coach for the Aggie football team on February 2, 2010.

"Terrell is a bright, energetic coach with a track record of developing defensive linemen," Coach Sherman said. "In addition to being a terrific recruiter, Terrell is an excellent teacher and has great passion for the game of football. He has experience in multiple defensive fronts and will be a great addition to our coaching staff. He comes highly recommended from people, both in college and the NFL, who I trust and respect. We need our defensive line to play at a high level and I am confident that Terrell can get them there."

Williams served the past four years as the defensive line coach at Purdue. During his time with the Boilermakers, Williams coached the entire line each year with the exception of 2008 when he focused solely on the defensive end position. A native of Los Angeles, Williams is known for being an outstanding recruiter and teacher of the game. He served as Purdue's liaison to the NFL. In 2007, Williams worked with the Seattle Seahawks' defensive line during training camp. During the summer of 1999, Williams interned with the Jacksonville Jaguars, assisting with the defensive line.

"Purdue has been a great place for me and my family, but this opportunity to work on Coach Sherman's staff and to come to a place like Texas A&M is too good for me to pass up," Williams said. "The traditions and the history at a place like Texas A&M is tremendous. In football, you have to bring an attitude and a toughness to the field. I know Texas A&M defenses have had that in the past, and that is what we want to bring to Kyle Field."

Williams was one of 26 coaches invited to participate in the 2008 NCAA Football Coaches Academy, designed to reinforce key aspects of securing, managing and excelling in a head football coaching position within intercollegiate athletics.

During his time at Purdue, Williams tutored the likes of Dallas Cowboy defensive lineman Anthony Spencer. Spencer led the NCAA in tackles for loss and was a first-team All-American before becoming a first-round pick of the Cowboys in 2007. Defensive end Cliff Avril was a third-round selection of the Detroit Lions in 2008 with Alex Magee being selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round of the 2009 NFL draft.

Prior to his tenure at Purdue, Williams coached the defensive line at Akron in 2004 and 2005. The Zips won the Mid-American Conference championship game in 2005 and played in the Motor City Bowl. Both the league championship and post-season bowl appearance were firsts in the school's history. Williams' nose guard, Kiki Gonzalez, earned MAC All-Conference honors in 2005.

Williams spent two years (2002-03) as the defensive line coach at Youngstown State and helped Guy Mazzard earn All-Gateway Conference honors.

From 1999-2001, Williams served on the Aggie coaching staff at North Carolina A&T working with the defensive line. The Aggies ranked third in total defense among NCAA Division I-AA schools in 1999 allowing 259.4 yards per game and fifth in 2000 with 261.2 yards per game. North Carolina A&T finished 10th in the country in rushing defense in 2001 allowing only 96.7 yards per game. The Aggies were the Black Colleges national champion in 1999 and advanced to the quarterfinals of the Division I-AA playoffs while finishing 10th in the final poll.

Williams got his start in coaching working with the defensive line at Fort Scott Community College during the 1998 season.

Williams was born June 19, 1974, in Los Angeles and earned a bachelor's degree in communications with a minor in history from East Carolina in 1998. He was an all-star nose guard for the Pirates and a member of the 1995 team which defeated Stanford in the Liberty Bowl and finished the year ranked #23 in the final USA Today/ESPN poll. The 1996 Pirate club defeated the University of Miami in the Orange Bowl on its way to an 8-3 record under head coach Steve Logan. Williams transferred to East Carolina from West Los Angeles College where he earned all-conference honors as a defensive lineman.

Williams and his wife, the former Tifini Preliou, have a son, Tyson.

THE WILLIAMS FILE

Full Name: Terrell (ta-RELL) Williams

Birthdate: June 19, 1974

Birthplace: Los Angeles, California

Marital Status: Married to the former Tifini Preliou

Children: Tyson

Education: Dorsey High School, Los Angeles, CA (1992)

West Los Angeles Junior College (1994)

East Carolina (1997)

COACHING CAREER

2010-: Texas A&M University (defensive line)

2006-09: Purdue (defensive line)

2004-05: Akron (defensive line)

2002-03: Youngstown State (defensive line)

1999-2001: North Carolina A&T (defensive line)

1998: Fort Scott Community College (defensive line)

BOWL GAMES AS COACH

2007: Motor City Bowl

2006: Champs Sports Bowl

2005: Motor City Bowl

BOWL GAMES AS PLAYER

1995: Liberty Bowl

Im not that high on Tim Cross. His resume just doesnt impress me. He played at a tiny school, and his D lines enjoyed moderate success at Syracuse and Minnesota against some questionable competition, and its a whole different game in the SEC. Tracy Rocker was a GREAT coach, and Im not saying it is possible to upgrade from Rocker, but I would like to have someone who is atleast comparable

I'm still hoping we'll get the A&M coach.

Has he even been mentioned as a possible candidate by any of the Admins on any of the websites?

wde

Im not that high on Tim Cross. His resume just doesnt impress me. He played at a tiny school, and his D lines enjoyed moderate success at Syracuse and Minnesota against some questionable competition, and its a whole different game in the SEC. Tracy Rocker was a GREAT coach, and Im not saying it is possible to upgrade from Rocker, but I would like to have someone who is atleast comparable

he very well could be.  We really don't know how he'd do with our talent pool...of course we don't know that about any of the possible hirings.

Has he even been mentioned as a possible candidate by any of the Admins on any of the websites?

wde

i dont think so, i just mentioned his name earlier as a random candidate.

he very well could be.  We really don't know how he'd do with our talent pool...of course we don't know that about any of the possible hirings.

Agreed, Bird. The players he will be coaching at Auburn will be alot more talented than those at Syracuse and Minnesota. Maybe this job could take him to the next level as a coach. Who knows? Chizik will get the right guy..

wde

Ok, don't get me wrong, he sounds decent, but why are we discussing him at this point until we get some sort of confirmation that he is even being interviewed.

wde

wde

Ok, don't get me wrong, he sounds decent, but why are we discussing him at this point until we get some sort of confirmation that he is even being interviewed.

wde

what else are we going to talk about? Speculation is part of the fun.

wde

wde

what else are we going to talk about? Speculation is part of the fun.

It is if the speculation has some basis of actually being factual.

wde

For me, I would rather take a couple extra days or weeks and find the perfect hire.  The coach that not only excells on the field, but in the living room as well. That said, I think that making sure personalities mesh is just as important.  Our team chemistry is really high, the last thing you want/need is to disrupt that with an impulsive hire. So take all the time you need CGC, I can wait

I don't know if Kevin Greene fits for this staff, has no recruiting experience (not as much contacts with highschool coaches), has not worked with any of the coaches on staff presently at AU. Has son at Texas on football team and would miss son's games. Has worked with LB in Green Bay in a 3-4 not a 4-3.

I'm not real sure Tim Cross fits our staff. I realize that Roof and Cross coached together at Minnesota, but really now, that's not saying a heck of a lot.

I'm not real sure Tim Cross fits our staff. I realize that Roof and Cross coached together at Minnesota, but really now, that's not saying a heck of a lot.

AU4ever, you are putting down my school which I've followed for over 40 years.  The funny thing is that you are 100% correct.  :timeout:Our defense has been awful over the years, and I can't think of one defensive player in recent history who has made it in the NFL. I wasn't really impressed with Roof and was amazed he ended up at Auburn. It is however, hard to coach players with little talent. I've been following the local TV news, and reading the newspapers, but no mention at all of Cross being a candidate at Auburn.

Archived