DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

I was coming around to Hurtt based on info I got from poster on another board who is very knowledgable, but time to move on.  I guess I will just fall back to my initial concerns regarding Hurtt and be thankful he isn't the one. :tease:  Paganos and Giff Smith were my initial two favorites so maybe they are still on the board.

wde 

I have been high on those 2 as well. I lean a little more to Panagos. But I would still be happy with Smith.

I also still like one of the 2 Texas guys, either Tolleson from UT or Williams from A&M. And I still like Kevin Greene.

I would favor a great recruiter over an experienced coach.  With CGC and CTR, they can develop coaching skills.  It is hard to teach good recruiting, it takes individual personality and personal drive.  I think that is why CGC always is asking coaches who do you hate to recruit against because those are the ones that he wants on his staff.

Feel the force - WDE!

I do see the merit in this argument...but their are still great High School linemen who want to play for a position coach that can get them to the next level. So there has to be a good balance in my opinion.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my short list.

1. Kevin Greene

2. Travis Williams

3. Mike Tolleson

4. Terrell Williams

5. Tosh Lupoi

It's amazing. Dumbfounding. Tolleson was a coach at my HS in Bham a short ;D while back and is a hell of a good guy and coach. He was at Texas for a while. He was one of Mack Brown's sacrificial lambs when he was catching flack and decided/had to revamp his staff. Tolleson is a good man.

It sucks we arent getting Hurtt. The way he recruited players to Louisville had me salivating about what he could do at Auburn. He has routinely cleaned house in South Florida and that couldve taken us over the top in recruiting. I know coaching ability means more than recruiting ability, but man i think he wouldve been a great hire..

I now feel pretty confident Cross will be hired. Sites are reporting Cross was a backup plan in case Chizik wasn't sold on Hurtt. I have to admit I really liked Hurtt, but honestly I like Coach Cross too. He may not be a splashy hire, but he is a good coach and tireless recruiter.

I now feel pretty confident Cross will be hired. Sites are reporting Cross was a backup plan in case Chizik wasn't sold on Hurtt. I have to admit I really liked Hurtt, but honestly I like Coach Cross too. He may not be a splashy hire, but he is a good coach and tireless recruiter.

So, was the job offered to Hurtt or not?  Just wondering if he turned it down like it is being reported.

So, was the job offered to Hurtt or not?  Just wondering if he turned it down like it is being reported.

Phillip Marshall from Auburn Undercover is saying the job was never offered to Hurtt.

I'm not comparing the two programs by saying this but Strong is doing a nice job at Louisville and he probaly wants to stay and finish what they are doing much as Auburn's coaches have done.

Here's my short list.

1. Kevin Greene

2. Travis Williams

3. Mike Tolleson

4. Terrell Williams

5. Tosh Lupoi

I would be ecstatic to get Kevin Greene back at Auburn, but in reality There is very little chance he leaves the NFL for college, even Auburn. I hope I am wrong though...

Phillip Marshall from Auburn Undercover is saying the job was never offered to Hurtt.

Figures.  Of course WJOX reported earlier today that Hurtt turned down the offer at Auburn.

Maybe if we offer Greene the DC post and DL coach while moving Roof LB coach.

Not a good suggestion....Coach Roof has done nothing to show he isn't capable of being our DC. And what has Greene done to show he has the ability to coordinate a defense? This would just be a bad move in my opinion. Don't put Coach Roof down like that bro.

The only type of move I would see us do with something close to this would be if we offered someone like Wisconsin's DL coach who is also their CO-DC and offered him Co-DC here with Coach Roof. But I don't see something like that happening, even though I really like their DL coach.

I would love Kevin Greene to come back to Auburn, I just don't know that I see it happening right now.

I really wanted Hurtt. I don't understand all of the Kevin Greene talk. I mean he played outside LB in the pro's, and coaches outside LB's now. I just don't see how that equates to being a DL coach in any way. Not to mention he has never coached at the college level to my knowledge so he has never had to recruit anybody. Kevin is one of my all-time favroite Auburn players btw, but that would be a disastrous hire IMO.

Here's my short list.

1. Kevin Greene

2. Travis Williams

3. Mike Tolleson

4. Terrell Williams

5. Tosh Lupoi

It's amazing. Dumbfounding. Tolleson was a coach at my HS in Bham a short ;D while back and is a hell of a good guy and coach. He was at Texas for a while. He was one of Mack Brown's sacrificial lambs when he was catching flack and decided/had to revamp his staff. Tolleson is a good man.

Minor Tiger eh?

Lots of fights between us and y'all back in the day  ;D

Figures.  Of course WJOX reported earlier today that Hurtt turned down the offer at Auburn.

Charles Goldberg says here that Hurtt left AU without an offer.  It could have been we weren't sold on him or a mutual feeling that it wasn't a right fit on both sides.  We'll be fine either way.  Better to get it right than to make a mistake.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/clint_hurtt_staying_at_louisvi.html

Auburn is probably not going to offer anyone until they finish interviewing all of the prospects.  So maybe there is still a chance with Hurtt.  I really liked the idea of him coming, but I will like anyone that Chizik chooses.  He certainly knows more than me about the situation.

I think it might end up being Tim Cross...but I would love to see Coach Chizik talk with Williams from A&M, Panagos from UCF, Smith from the Bills.

I hope Coach goes through a good process of looking for the best replacement. And I'm sure he will. TRUST

:believe:      :wareagle:

Archived