DL Coach Discussion

95tgr4life

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand all the doubts about Hurtt's coaching ability:

He played DLine in college and has coached DLine for 4+ years under coaches like Randy Shannon and Charlie Strong.  I know experience isn't everything but surely he is an above average coach.  I also believe that if we can get the right players to Auburn, that fit our system, it makes coaching a lot easier.

He did an incredible job coaching this year at UL, and is a damn fine coach, and an even better recruiter.  This would be a Kirk Gibson sized HR of a hire.

He did an incredible job coaching this year at UL, and is a damn fine coach, and an even better recruiter.  This would be a Kirk Gibson sized HR of a hire.

I'm not sure I would go that far...maybe in terms of bringing in a guy with his recruiting abilities. But as for an overall hire I wouldn't say that.

I don't understand all the doubts about Hurtt's coaching ability:

He played DLine in college and has coached DLine for 4+ years under coaches like Randy Shannon and Charlie Strong.  I know experience isn't everything but surely he is an above average coach.  I also believe that if we can get the right players to Auburn, that fit our system, it makes coaching a lot easier.

Louisville's D played much better this past year, then previous years. I think Hurtt would be a really good hire.

SWestbrook, who has a Louisville logo in his signature, is rooting for Hurtt. If, as the sigpic implies, SW follows Louisville, perhaps he could enlighten us with a bit more detail on Hurtt's coaching ability?

http://www.theauburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=31701.msg564211#msg564211

I live in Louisville and although I'm not a big fan, those around me are.  They think very highly of Hurtt as both a recruiter and coach.  The D-line was horrible the last couple years prior to the new staff.  I do however think he's a very good coach and a very good to great recruiter.  I'm not sure I would call him as good as TRock on either account though.

If offered the job, what are the chances that Hurtt would accept?

50%

Let me be more clear (if that is possible).  I love Auburn and would love to go there to coach.  What would be the draws for Hurtt---more money, more defensive decision power than where he currently is, overall what would be the draw for him and is it likely that it would be a big enough draw?  Anyway, just wondering.

SWestbrook, who has a Louisville logo in his signature, is rooting for Hurtt. If, as the sigpic implies, SW follows Louisville, perhaps he could enlighten us with a bit more detail on Hurtt's coaching ability?

http://www.theauburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=31701.msg564211#msg564211

Got that right! I'm a huge supporter of Hurtt and really believe he's the right guy for the job. Before coming to UL he had some outstanding D-Lines at UMiami. At UL his DL hasn't had the talent to really show off what Hurtt can do as a coach.

Recruiting-wise, it doesn't get any better than CCH. He pitched UL to recruits as a big-time program on the rise and they bought it. Very convincing guy. I've talked to my buds that live in the area and they want to do anything it takes to keep him.

He's the type of guy that would represent Auburn they way Auburn should be represented.

50%

Let me be more clear (if that is possible).  I love Auburn and would love to go there to coach.  What would be the draws for Hurtt---more money, more defensive decision power than where he currently is, overall what would be the draw for him and is it likely that it would be a big enough draw?  Anyway, just wondering.

Here's what I would think, though I don't have any inside info:

1) More prestige at AU than at Louisville (no offense to UL, but we just won the national championship, have a better football tradition, play in the SEC, and so forth)

2) More money at AU

3) CGC great coach to work for

4) More chances for advancement

3)

50%

We have a lot more to offer than UL. We offer more money, more exposure, better chance to become successful, better chance to become a coordinator, and more talent.

Got that right! I'm a huge supporter of Hurtt and really believe he's the right guy for the job. Before coming to UL he had some outstanding D-Lines at UMiami. At UL his DL hasn't had the talent to really show off what Hurtt can do as a coach.

Recruiting-wise, it doesn't get any better than CCH. He pitched UL to recruits as a big-time program on the rise and they bought it. Very convincing guy. I've talked to my buds that live in the area and they want to do anything it takes to keep him.

He's the type of guy that would represent Auburn they way Auburn should be represented.

Thanks for the insight, SWAU.

50%

All those you stated as well as the guy your replacing just went to the NFL, your team is on tv every week, your team just won the BCS game, your expose to better players last but not least is what is there not to like about Auburn

I would love to have him. I've heard some very good things about him from both his coaching and recruiting. I'm not really holding my breath on him though coming to AU. A lot of coaches are big on the titles they're given. He's the recruiting coordinator at UL. We have Luper in that position on our staff. I'm not sure he would want to give up that title since he's kinda worked his way up the ladder and made his reputation as a recruiter. I see no reason to strip Luper of this title or make him "share" the title.Also Charlie Strong is well respected and seems to be a great guy to work for.  I hope we can land him or a guy like him. Chizik will make the right choice and get the best man possible for the job.

I would love to have him. I've heard some very good things about him from both his coaching and recruiting. I'm not really holding my breath on him though coming to AU. A lot of coaches are big on the titles they're given. He's the recruiting coordinator at UL. We have Luper in that position on our staff. I'm not sure he would want to give up that title since he's kinda worked his way up the ladder and made his reputation as a recruiter. I see no reason to strip Luper of this title or make him "share" the title.Also Charlie Strong is well respected and seems to be a great guy to work for.  I hope we can land him or a guy like him. Chizik will make the right choice and get the best man possible for the job.

Interesting -- you may well be right.

But then I'd say he'd be focusing on the wrong part of the title:

AUBURN Defensive Line Coach

LOUISVILLE Defensive Line Coach and Recruiting Coordinator

Some sites are claiming Chizik was impressed with Hurtt and already has offered him the job.

This is what I read as well. 

wde

From everything I have read about Coach Hurtt, he seems like the man for the job. Solid DL coach and OUTSTANDING recruiter. ESPN named him their National recruiter for this year. His 2008 class at Miami was ranked #1. I would think we have a better than average shot at getting him. I say this because he was interested enough to interview for the job. No slight towards Louisville, but the talent and exposure we get if far superior to them. He would be coaching in the mecca of college football also. I say we open up the wallet and do everything we can to get Coach Hurtt!

Is there any chance that Charlie Strong would talk to Urban Meyer and Meyer try to scare Hurtt from taking the job?  We all know Meyer is not a big AU fan after this year.  Any chance Meyer tries to warn Hurtt via Strong that bad stuff is going to eventually happen to AU (though we know it's not)?

Is there any chance that Charlie Strong would talk to Urban Meyer and Meyer try to scare Hurtt from taking the job?  We all know Meyer is not a big AU fan after this year.  Any chance Meyer tries to warn Hurtt via Strong that bad stuff is going to eventually happen to AU (though we know it's not)?

Good question but I don't think Urban is really that down on AU. jmo

Archived