My Top SEC RBs for 2011

Chaotic_zx

I see your point about OMac not being a "RB".  I think it is comparable to Percy Harvin while he was at Florida.  Was PH a WR?  Was he a RB? I don't think you can pigeon hole athletes with that type of talent by labeling them with specific positions.  I would consider PH an elite athlete...a "play maker", I would consider Omac in the same class.  One thing we do know is that CGM game plans to get the ball in the play makers hands, whether it be a WR, RB, or QB. 

As far as us getting up in arms over here, you're right...some what.  More than anything it's people just expressing their passion for all things AU, and we are most assuredly passionate about Auburn, some times to a fault.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knile Davis benefited from playing alongside arguably the best passing QB in college football. Teams were so focused on the passing game that he was able to become a threat. He's a good running back, but best in the league? I think not.

As for Richardson being better than Dyer, I just don't understand why so many are saying this. Dyer ran for a few yards shy of Richardson and Eddy Lacy combined. Both were the second leading rusher on their team, so neither was the focal point of the defense, and Dyer also had a higher yards per carry average as well. I mean, this is an Auburn board, and our starting tailback is getting less love than the backup at Bama? Really?

If you say something like this then you could also say Dyer was better only because of Cam. No, Knile Davis is not the best back in the SEC. I think its a toss-up between Richardson and Lattimore, but I'm leaning towards Lattimore. So Lattimore, Richardson, then Dyer. But they are all so incredibly good...they just each have certain aspects of their game that are better than another's. Dyer's got balance and can turn on a dime, Trent can break tackles with the best of them, and Latti is just a hard hitting beast but has great hands! Knile Davis is awesome, yes, but I like him at the number four spot. He came on hot and heavy at the end of the season, so we will see how good he is next year?

I see your point about OMac not being a "RB".  I think it is comparable to Percy Harvin while he was at Florida.  Was PH a WR?  Was he a RB? I don't think you can pigeon hole athletes with that type of talent by labeling them with specific positions.  I would consider PH an elite athlete...a "play maker", I would consider Omac in the same class.  One thing we do know is that CGM game plans to get the ball in the play makers hands, whether it be a WR, RB, or QB. 

As far as us getting up in arms over here, you're right...some what.  More than anything it's people just expressing their passion for all things AU, and we are most assuredly passionate about Auburn, some times to a fault.

I'm glad someone actually understood what I was trying to say. Thought I was taking crazy pills or something. I understand the passion, and I love Auburn just as much as the next guy, but I am also a rational thinking person with opinions. War Damn.

As for Richardson being better than Dyer, I just don't understand why so many are saying this. Dyer ran for a few yards shy of Richardson and Eddy Lacy combined. Both were the second leading rusher on their team, so neither was the focal point of the defense, and Dyer also had a higher yards per carry average as well. I mean, this is an Auburn board, and our starting tailback is getting less love than the backup at Bama? Really?

You know it is possible to be an Auburn fan AND still be objective. Dyer averaged 6.0 yards per carry on 182 attempts. Richardson averaged 6.3 on 112 attempts. What IS hard to understand is why people keep comparing both players yardage from last year when there is a HUGE disparity between touches.

Richardson will be playing behind a more experienced offensive line this year than Dyer. He will be playing with a quarterback capable of driving the ball downfield, which as you pointed out benefits running backs. This will also be the first time that he will be the FEATURE back, in an offense that gave Mark Ingram 270+ carries two years ago.

Dyer's touches will be driven up this year as well with the absence of Cam Newton, and his redzone touches/TD opportunities will be driven up as well. He'll be better than he was last year, no doubt about it, but he'll suffer from the inexperience of the offensive line, and no running back in Gus Malzahns offense is going to get 270 touches.

Funny thing is, if I had to pick one of them to play on my team, it would be Dyer, I just think that the opportunity is there for Richardson to outperform. That's all. 

Archived