My Top SEC RBs for 2011

Chaotic_zx

Lattimore has got to be on top of this list. 250 carries, 1200 yds and 17 touchdowns!! As an 18 yr old true freshman?? Carried the ball THIRTY SEVEN times for 185 yds in his first ever SEC game. Also went for 200+ in the swamp against FLA. He also catches the ball very well.

1. Lattimore

2. Richardson

3. Dyer/Davis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of these must be off of potential because richardson is going to have to break the 800 yard mark before he is anointed the best rb in the sec.  Especially considering he was out rushed by several of the guys infront of him davis, dyer, omac, and lattimore. 

He also rushed behind a Heisman trophy winning running back, no small detail. And, obviously, this thread is based off of potential. Otherwise it would have been called the best RBs of 2010.

Dyer ran behind the most dominant college football player in 20 years and still cracked the thousand yard mark.  Omac ran behind dyer and cam but still eclipsed his yardage.

I'm not anointing him as the best running back in the SEC. I think Lattimore is the best running back in the SEC right now, but I believe Richardson will have a fantastic year as the feature back. You may not think he's as good as I do. I don't care. It's just a forum. 

Richardson battled injuries this year. He didn't play in two games, he had 70 less carries than MD, and he averaged better yards per carry than Dyer. He also scored more TD's (I know, I know...Cam Newton). He's also the strongest running back, actually the strongest player in the SEC pound for pound. I think it's pretty logical to think that with 20 carries a game that he will EASILY eclipse the 1000 mark. I guess we'll see.

Some of these must be off of potential because richardson is going to have to break the 800 yard mark before he is anointed the best rb in the sec.  Especially considering he was out rushed by several of the guys infront of him davis, dyer, omac, and lattimore. 

He also rushed behind a Heisman trophy winning running back, no small detail. And, obviously, this thread is based off of potential. Otherwise it would have been called the best RBs of 2010.

Dyer ran behind the most dominant college football player in 20 years and still cracked the thousand yard mark.  Omac ran behind dyer and cam but still eclipsed his yardage.

I'm not anointing him as the best running back in the SEC. I think Lattimore is the best running back in the SEC right now, but I believe Richardson will have a fantastic year as the feature back. You may not think he's as good as I do. I don't care. It's just a forum.   

Richardson battled injuries this year. He didn't play in two games, he had 70 less carries than MD, and he averaged better yards per carry than Dyer. He also scored more TD's (I know, I know...Cam Newton). He's also the strongest running back, actually the strongest player in the SEC pound for pound. I think it's pretty logical to think that with 20 carries a game that he will EASILY eclipse the 1000 mark. I guess we'll see.

Yes we will see injuries aren't rare especially for a starting back in the sec.  Lattimore missed games, dyer limped his way to a td in his only action against arky, and davis wasn't even the starting rb for arky until their starter went down.  But before he is referenced in the same line with the top guys in the sec he probably should concentrate on getting past omac numbers in rushing.  Who had more yards on less carries than richardson, he averaged less yards per carry than omac, and had less tds.  It is just a forum so opinions can differ  :we:

1) Dyer

2) Richardson

3) Lattimore

4) Pick

Dyer can shoulder the load.  Lattimore did....too many times.  Why would you run your ONLY running back 40 times in a game?  A RB only has so many carries in a career.  If he had come to AU, he would have averaged 18 carries a game.  He averaged over 30.  This kid will be lucky to finish his career.  He may be fine this year, but Garcia and Jefferies will be gone his JR year.  Plus, the East will be better this year.  Teams will be looking for him.

Guys, if we're talking potential, should the play calling not be taken into account? Malzahn will find a way to make it work. Maybe he has to run more screens and motion plays than he wants to in order to keep the defenses honest, but if there's one thing we should have learned about him by now it's that Gus can adjust.

Well first off, I didn't realize Ridley had declared(so my bad). Most importantly, This thread was about MY PERSONAL top backs for 2011. So if you think that it has anything to do with him being a turd then check the top QBs thread(McCarron is on it). You would be wrong.

So I will explain(again) why I REFUSE to put Richardson on my list. The guy has one move and that's straight ahead. He rises and falls with his o-line(as most do but more so with him).  He reminds me of an old time full back. Those RBs are easier to tackle(trust me I know).

I am not so sure why some people rush headlong into defending bama, their players, and staff but consistently downgrade the Auburn people. I'm not calling anybody a bammer but sometimes it sounds that way. In the end, this thread is, was, and will be opinions. You are granted yours and I will be granted mine. <---interpretation: You can defend your bammers and I'll give credit to the Aubs. Have a nice day. WDE

I'll defend chaotic here -- why is he being singled out for ridicule? No one has given me any trouble for my list, and it didn't include Richardson, either.  :D

I actually agree with chaotic and don't think it's crazy not to include Richardson on the list. ESPECIALLY since, as he emphasized, it is HIS list.

:wareagle:

1. Dyer         1093yds  6.0ypc  second behind Cam's 1473yds and ahead of OMac 810yds in team rushing

2. K.Davis      1322yds 6.5ypc   took most of the carry and play with a great passing threat

3. Lattimore   1197yds 4.8ypc   Main work horse with 29 catches for 412 yds 19 total tds

4. OMac          810yds 8.5ypc   not much of an inside runner but great sweep runner 8.5ypc

5. Richardson   700yds 6.3ypc   great talent overshadow by Ingram

Those putting Dyer ahead of Latt

facepalm.jpg

What do you expect -- Picard is wearing garnet and black ....  :tease:

LaForge probably wearing garnet and black visor, too.

Can't wait to see what Vader says about this ....

Davis may be the best of all of them by the time this season is over. He was only 18 years old last year, and had 1300+ yards and 13 TDs in only basically 9 games. Plus he is the perfect blend of size and speed. He's my personal favorite

His role is similar to what Dexter McCluster's role was for Ole Miss last year. He's a skill player who is placed into plays designed to put him into space. We don't use him in the traditional role of a running back. We don't depend on him to pass block, or run up the middle, but we use him in runs and screens primarily to the outside to emphasize his speed, which may be his only attribute comparative to a traditional RB. I'm just saying that Richardson, Dyer, Bolden, Davis, Lattimore etc. all fit the mold of a traditional RB, and are used in the same ways in their teams offenses. McCaleb's role is pretty dissimilar to all of theirs.

We call him a running back because his role doesn't have a name, and because he lines up in the backfield.

I disagree, but that's basically the point of message boards. IMHO, he is a running back and should be included on the list, if he skills and talent makes him deserve a spot. Obviously he's not going to run over people, but we have ran him up the middle. Go back and watch the first qurter of the national championship. Dyer didn't play, so Omac had to pick up the load, and he ran up the middle and blocked a good bit. But again this is just my opinion

Sorry, you would or would not have placed DMC into the complete back category. Because, I don't, and that was my point.

I'm not taking anything away from O Mac, the guy is incredible. I just have a hard time comparing other guys on this list to him, when it's obvious that he is not asked to do the same things that they are.

Each RB is different and asked to do things differently. Omac may not be a everydown type of guy, but he is still handed the ball which makes him a RB. I remember he was handed the ball on several occasions on quick blast up the middle, not sure if it was audible or not. It may have been just to keep the D honest. However, he is a RB and a good one at that, my friend.

Best by talent or total yards? Top Three

By yards:

1. Lattimore

2. Dyer

3. Richardson

By Talent:

1. Dyer

2. Lattimore

3. Richardson

The main difference between Lattimore and Dyer is that Michael is not the only tailback in the system. I really hope Lattimore is not used up by the time he finishes his college career. He is a great back, but SC is burning him by making him carry 30 or more times per game. Michael Dyer is just as talented, but the AU coaches do not have to depend upon Mike carrying the entire team on his back.  That's better for Michael in the long run, since he has a much better chance of staying healthy throughout his career.

S.C. has no other RB options, AU does. We have McCalebb to help carry the load and now Tre Mason.  Michael gets less carries, but averages more YPC.  He also can get rest between carries and if he is banged up does not have to play every down for us to be successful. That's the major difference between Lattimore and Dyer.

Richardson is a bruiser back, but does not have the vision, speeed, and cuts of Dyer or Lattimore. He will get his carries from Bama and will perform well. For Bama, it depends upon that O-Line.  That is true with AU as well, but I think talent wise (not experience wise yet), our line top to bottom has more talent. Plus the Malzahn system gives a back many more options.

Sorry, you would or would not have placed DMC into the complete back category. Because, I don't, and that was my point.

I'm not taking anything away from O Mac, the guy is incredible. I just have a hard time comparing other guys on this list to him, when it's obvious that he is not asked to do the same things that they are.

I'm guessing Reggie Bush isn't a running back, either?

Guys, if we're talking potential, should the play calling not be taken into account? Malzahn will find a way to make it work. Maybe he has to run more screens and motion plays than he wants to in order to keep the defenses honest, but if there's one thing we should have learned about him by now it's that Gus can adjust.

The true definition of Potential: Aint Done Nothing Yet.

Davis may be the best of all of them by the time this season is over. He was only 18 years old last year, and had 1300+ yards and 13 TDs in only basically 9 games. Plus he is the perfect blend of size and speed. He's my personal favorite

He was a difference maker in that offense. Ohio States defense was loaded with talent and a few NFL type prospect and Davis had over 130 yards rushing on them.

If he stays healthy in 2011, and the Wilson kid can throw the ball consistently, Look for Davis to have another great year.

Teams are on to him now, so they must continue to throw the ball well if they want to set up the run.

I should not have said O Mac is not a running back, sorry, you guys really get up in arms over here. My point is that if he should not be in the discussion because he is not asked to do what EVERY other back on this list is asked to do, which is run the ball 20 times a game, in between the tackles, as well as pass block.

Reggie Bush plays a similar role for the New Orleans Saints right now, so yes that is a fair comparison. Simply put, if O Mac were to have the same responsibilities as say, Marcus Lattimore, he would not be nearly as effective, and I stand by that statement. He does not pose a threat for defenses up the middle, and if he were asked to perform in a traditional role, he would struggle to put up the yards per carry that he did this past year. See 2009.

I mean, can you guys not see that? He weighs 160 pounds sopping wet, and he is very, very fast. Please do not take my posts as a way to downplay his role on our football team, which was vital for us last year, I'm just suggesting that it's unfair to compare him to a prototypical back, who plays the majority of snaps, and is expected to carry a heavier load, and list of responsibilities. Apples and Oranges.

I also don't appreciate the assertion that because someone like myself expresses a positive opinion about an Alabama football player that they be labeled a "bammer". Is rational debate not encouraged around here? I'm sorry if I articulated my opinion as to why I think Trent Richardson is a fine running back. And I'll say this again, I am not "downgrading" Ontario McCalebb. I love O Mac, I'm just saying it like it is.

my .02

Archived