My Top SEC QBs for 2011

Chaotic_zx

Read a discussion on another thread and decided to post my Top Qbs for the upcoming season. Feel free to discuss and post your own. I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

My top SEC QBs in 2011

1) John Brantley(FLA)- While not suited for the spread offense, most people said that he was better for a traditional offense. Insert Charlie Weis. Weis is known as a great offensive mind and Florida has all the pieces in place(insert Blakely).

2) Aaron Murray(UGA)- I expect him to build on a impressive freshman season. Sure AJ Green won't be there and playing behind a new O-line won't help but the guy is talented.

3) Barrett Trotter(AU)- Close call. Trotter is in his third year under Malzahn. He will be the best passer that Malzahn has had at Auburn. Trotter can stretch the field where as Todd couldn't and he is more accurate than Cam. On top of that, he is athletic enough to run the ball so you have the potential for a break out season. Also note that he has been playing with the WRs on second team in the 2010 season. So the chemistry and timing should be there.

4) Tyler Wilson(Ark)- Most will point to the Ark/AU game and heap praise on Wilson. While he did perform admirably, the AU pass D wasn't the greatest barometer. Couple that with losing some talented WRs and Wilson will have to work to become one of the better QBs this upcoming year. If he has one thing going for him, it's the fact that Petrino just turns out good college QBs. Another thing to note is that Arkansas will throw the ball a lot.

5) AJ McCarron(turds)- He is as talented as any of the group and has a seasoned o-line to play behind. The Caveat? He plays in a run heavy offense that will be protecting him. He didn't impress when he had the playing time this past year with a more seasoned o-line. Expect progress though as he gets more reps.

6) Zach Mettenberger(LSU)- He will have a good supporting cast around him and Kragthorpe is known as a QB developer. The team chemistry would need to be developed quickly for him to shine. Tough games come early in Oregon and West Virginia. If the chemistry and off the field issues are solved then he could finish higher up my list.

Another solid thread, chaotic!!  But your thoughts on Garcia and Bray?  UTK fans are really excited about Bray. 

I would probably put Murray on top purely because of what I've seen on the field. Brantley has yet to show me anything that makes me believe he can be successful in the SEC, and at least some of that talent is neutralized by learning a new system (having to think too much on the field=playing slower).

And yeah, Garcia belongs on that list. He has his drawbacks, certainly, but he's also a fifth year senior who has been starting for Steve Spurrier for four years now, and while he was still somewhat inconsistent last season, he made some pretty big strides...and he'll still have Alshon Jeffries to throw the ball to.

Otherwise, :thumbsup:

Mettenburger, McCarron, and Wilson will be as good or better than Brantley and Trotter.

1. Murray

2. Wilson

3. Mett

4. McCarron

5. Trotter

Just keep in mind that LSU will be experimenting with a new offensive coordinator.

Trotter may not be as good as Mettenburger, but he might fit better in Malzahns system, and therefore have a pretty good year based on coaching/system.

No love for Jordan Jefferson, and I think that will be the demise of LSU if hes not the clear cut starter. Miles has played around with his quarterbacks long enough, its time he sticks with one. (Agree or disagree)-- If it were me, I would stick with Jefferson.

If Mettenberger gives them the best chance to win, he should play, if Jefferson does, then he should.

Aaron Murray would probably top my list because he shows the most promise and already has 13 games experience.

Wilson is questionable, Trotter is questionable, McCarron is questionable. -- We just dont know enough about them yet.

We will find out soon enough.

I would probably put Murray on top purely because of what I've seen on the field. Brantley has yet to show me anything that makes me believe he can be successful in the SEC, and at least some of that talent is neutralized by learning a new system (having to think too much on the field=playing slower).

And yeah, Garcia belongs on that list. He has his drawbacks, certainly, but he's also a fifth year senior who has been starting for Steve Spurrier for four years now, and while he was still somewhat inconsistent last season, he made some pretty big strides...and he'll still have Alshon Jeffries to throw the ball to.

Otherwise, :thumbsup:

Lattimore helps out as well... if Jeffries and Latti stay healthy, he has a chance to stay consistent.

I beleive if Latti plays the entire game against FSU, then South Carolina would have won that game.

Garcia will more than likely have a great chance at his best season yet. If that happens, they could repeat as East champs.

With all of the New qb's taking over starting roles in the West, this could be one of the more balanced conference battles we have seen in a long time.

Mettenburger, McCarron, and Wilson will be as good or better than Brantley and Trotter.

1. Murray

2. Wilson

3. Mett

4. McCarron

5. Trotter

I don't get why you think those three will necessarily be better than Trotter. Mett is a JUCO guy, and while I understand that Cam was, too, Mett isn't the same kind of animal. For one, he isn't as athletic, and for another, he doesn't have Gus Malzahn calling the shots for him. I don't know if he enrolled early, either, though I'm sure he did.

Wilson played well against us when Mallett went down, but then, Gilbert played pretty well against Alabama once he got his feet under him in the NC game two seasons ago, too, and his first year as a starter didn't go so well.

The bottom line is that none of them have seen significant action in the SEC, so it's hard to put any ahead of another. The biggest reason I give Trotter the nod is that he's running Malzahn's offense, which has been successful with every QB he's had at the collegiate level. Add to that the fact that Barrett was an injury away from starting as a freshman two years ago, and I feel confident he has what it takes.

I wear orange and blue shades, no doubt, but even without them on I'm not sure how you put any of those guys ahead of him...

1. Murray

2. Wilson

3. Mett

4. McCarron

5. Trotter

The only QB in your list that is proven is Murray, so your list should read like this:

1. Murray

2. Trotter, Mett, McCarron, Wilson

1. Murray

2. Wilson

3. Mett

4. McCarron

5. Trotter

I don't get why you think those three will necessarily be better than Trotter. Mett is a JUCO guy, and while I understand that Cam was, too, Mett isn't the same kind of animal. For one, he isn't as athletic, and for another, he doesn't have Gus Malzahn calling the shots for him. I don't know if he enrolled early, either, though I'm sure he did.

Wilson played well against us when Mallett went down, but then, Gilbert played pretty well against Alabama once he got his feet under him in the NC game two seasons ago, too, and his first year as a starter didn't go so well.

The bottom line is that none of them have seen significant action in the SEC, so it's hard to put any ahead of another. The biggest reason I give Trotter the nod is that he's running Malzahn's offense, which has been successful with every QB he's had at the collegiate level. Add to that the fact that Barrett was an injury away from starting as a freshman two years ago, and I feel confident he has what it takes.

I wear orange and blue shades, no doubt, but even without them on I'm not sure how you put any of those guys ahead of him...

Trotter is going into his third year in Malzahns system as well... this might give him an eventual edge. just sayin

My Tiger senses tell me that a QB controversy will brew in turd town. McCarron will start and struggle much to bring it on. The attitudes of the two in the battle will only make it worse.  

Mark it down....... :)

My Tiger senses tell me that a QB controversy will brew in turd town. McCarron will start and struggle much to bring it on. The attitudes of the two in the battle will only make it worse.  

Be careful making such predictions, because it could just as easily happen at Auburn if Barrett struggles.

Be careful making such predictions, because it could just as easily happen at Auburn if Barrett struggles.

Anythings possible, and your certainly right, but I think Trotter will be in better shape than we think. McCarron should be fine as well, but I like Trotter better in the type of offense that we run.

Could be, but my Tiger senses just don't feel it. :laugh:

I really feel Trotter will be solid and him staying healthy will be his main issue.

Anythings possible, and your certainly right, but I think Trotter will be in better shape than we think. McCarron should be fine as well, but I like Trotter better in the type of offense that we run.

Oh I agree, I think Barrett has a much higher chance of success because Gus will give him every opportunity to make plays while McCarron is trying to be more field general than playmaker, I just mentioned what I did because I'm not sure I'd be throwing those kinds of stones at this point...

I have a feeling that McCarron is in for plenty more of those "reverse low-fives" Saban likes to give him.  McCarron just does not seem comfortable and he makes bad decisions with the football.  AJ has been the heir apparent for a while now, but Saban has been actively recruiting QBs since AJ got there.  He brought in Sims, he went hard after Zach Bootygrabber, and I think they brought in another QB this yr.  Seems like Saban has been looking for plan B for several yrs now.  Here's how I would rank the SEC QBs.

1) Murray UGA  (possibly Wilson from ARK)

2) Mettenberger (LSU)

3) Garcia (seems like he has been there for a decade)

4) Trotter

5) Bray (VOLS)

6) McCarron

We are just going to have to disagree. I think Garcia is horrible. Lobbing the ball to Alshon Jeffery doesn't make him a good QB. He has a major turnover issue and frankly, I think Spurrier doesn't like him. A 5th year Senior shouldn't go into the offseason with his starting status in question. Spurrier is pushing the Sophmore. When the game was on the line against AU(first time), he put him into the game. It says a lot about his thoughts on Garcia.

Ideally a QB has two years to learn the system and takes over the starting job of the departing player. Trotter has 2 under Malzahn and one under another coach(which doesn't count). Freshmen coming in have a hard time adjusting to the speed of the college game. A 3rd year Junior shouldn't have those issues.

Again, I'll predict how I think we will rank them after the '11 season.

1) Wilson

2) Murray

3) Trotter

4) Bray

5) Driskel

We are just going to have to disagree. I think Garcia is horrible. Lobbing the ball to Alshon Jeffery doesn't make him a good QB. He has a major turnover issue and frankly, I think Spurrier doesn't like him. A 5th year Senior shouldn't go into the offseason with his starting status in question. Spurrier is pushing the Sophmore. When the game was on the line against AU(first time), he put him into the game. It says a lot about his thoughts on Garcia.

Ideally a QB has two years to learn the system and takes over the starting job of the departing player. Trotter has 2 under Malzahn and one under another coach(which doesn't count). Freshmen coming in have a hard time adjusting to the speed of the college game. A 3rd year Junior shouldn't have those issues.

Spurrier is notoriously hard on his quarterbacks: he has a quicker left hook than Joe Lewis.

Garcia certainly isn't perfect, but he has far more game experience than any other QB in the SEC, and that counts for a lot.

That's why I posted these threads/opinions. It's the offseason and we desperately need something to debate. Truth be told, there are far too many questions heading into the season for any SEC school to claim dominance(a crap shoot if you will). That's what makes these threads entertaining.

1. Trotter

1A. Moseley

1B. Frasier

:laugh: You don't claim any others, huh?

Wow, I didn't realize that the SEC was returing so few starting QBs. Makes me feel much better about our chances next season! If I was going to rank them at this point though...

1. Garcia. Experience can not be understated at this position. Anybody remember Campbells senior year??

2. Murray. Had a great year for an average team last year. I think he'll struggle a little without Green though.

3. Wilson. Looked great when we played him

4. Trotter. Should know our system really well, Malzahn is just flat out good with QBs, and i'm an Auburn fan!

5. Every body else until on filed performance seperates them

Archived