Cam's #2

HardFightingSoldier

I say it will be a wait and see. As a member said before me, see of he continues his education at Auburn later and contribute to the University 10-20 years from now.2 is an awesome number. I want to get a #2 with Savage across the back.

No doubt that Cam Newton is one of the greatest player to ever wear Orange and Blue.  Not only was his play on the field spectacular, but his spirit and charisma was contagious!

First the emotional part of me would say to retire # 2. However, the mental part of me says, let's see if he comes back to finish his degree and what relationships he continues to have with AU...

We should not generally retire a jersey for a one and done player, but Cam was and is an exceptional case as a player and as a personality.  I simply do not know of another player that  totally energized the team more than Mr. Cameron Newton.. Auburn will always love and admire Cameron Newton!!

BTW, best spirit award easily goes to Kodi Burns!! Have to put Neil Caudle in that group as well.

I believe Bo got his degree in may of 2009, not in 1995.

Also, like all history, wait a few years and then consider if his number should be retired. 

I believe Bo got his degree in may of 2009, not in 1995.

Also, like all history, wait a few years and then consider if his number should be retired. 

Degree in 1995 & honorary degree in 2009

Will we retire #2?

We shouldn't.

Disagree, Cam deserves it.

100% disagree. I love Cam and will forever remember this season for the special season it was. I will cheer for him like crazy at the next level and will always consider him a tiger!! However, I don't think we should ever retire a jersey for a "one and done" guy. Just my opinion. As some have said, maybe five or ten years from now, I will feel differently - but let's wait and see. Will he insist on being announced as "Cam Newton from Auburn University" in his NFL games? I think so - but I want to see it and hear it first. Will he come back, making contributions to the Auburn name and continue to help us build the Auburn family? I ask myself if that should matter - but in a "one and done" scenario, I think it has to. I believe he will always consider himself "one of the family" and that our support of him through thick and thin will lead him in that direction. But I guess I need to see it before I totally jump on the "retire his jersy" bandwagon.

PS - the guy who started this "discussion" is a Bammer who got booted last night - definitely trying to pick a fight on this topic

:we:

Retirement of a Jersey doesn't need to happen immediately.  I scrolled by it, but someone mentioned wanting to wait to see what Cam contributes to Auburn over the next few years, and I completely agree.

I think if AU wants a # retired, let Jay Jacobs make that call... IMO I think it's all premature. Take 10 yrs to see what kind of AU men they turn out to be after life on the Plains.

Let's talk about that mural on the outside of J-Hare instead!!

I vote no on retiring #2.  If he was here more than one year it would make more sense but he wasn't so I say no. He's still the best damn college football player I've ever seen.

Archived