PM

Quietmaninthecorner

I read somewhere but being old can't remember where, that Cecil realized what he'd done with the "Money Discussion" and when he was in AU told CGC about it and CGC went to the SEC/NCAA and told them, before MSU did. Then got the okay to sign him.

Was I dreaming?  Or is that out there somewhere.  I fear I'm in Data Overload mode here.

:we:

That is one of the predominant theories that resolves Cecil Newton's apparent quest for money from MSU, Cam not knowing what he was doing, and AU having maintained steadfastly that Cam is eligible "at Auburn University."  I'm not sure if it all ties up quite that neatly, but that would be an acceptable end state for me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Friday Jay Barker made a reference to Make me Smile.  Finebaum used the song Make me Smile as bumper music coming out of one of the breaks.  Shane and another supposed UAT insider both made references to smiling or making them smile during Friday's show.   And last night it comes out, sources say that Rogers told the NCAA that Cecil told Mullen that the only way he could get his son was to make him smile.   First of all if he told the NCAA that then it should not be public knowledge.  So this is unsubstantiated reporting again.  It was part of the orchestration and PF, JB and Shane knew about it a 5 days before it was released.  

Here as an article about it.  Note ESPN is reporting it but no sources are even mentioned.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-18/mississippi-state-booster-says-texts-set-out-newton-payments-espn-reports.html

87 I've heard that but it doesn't make sense.  If true, this thing could have been over two weeks ago if all that had been admitted.  Would love it to be fact but doesn't add up to me.

Here as an article about it.  Note ESPN is reporting it but no sources are even mentioned.

Cecil Newton said Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen would have “to put a smile on my face if he thinks he’s going to get my son,” Bell recounted, according to ESPN,

Said it to who?  Did Bell hear him say it, or did Rogers just say he said it?  The article is crap.

And last night it comes out, sources say that Rogers told the NCAA that Cecil told Mullen that the only way he could get his son was to make him smile.    

So this is what they are hanging thier hat on when  someone said "Cecil eluded to money" ?

Wouldn't laying out a coaching plan for the future and showing the family atmosphere of the players make a father smile?

Sounds to me like offering Cecil money didn't make him smile.

Last Friday Jay Barker made a reference to Make me Smile.  Finebaum used the song Make me Smile as bumper music coming out of one of the breaks.  Shane and another supposed UAT insider both made references to smiling or making them smile during Friday's show.   And last night it comes out, sources say that Rogers told the NCAA that Cecil told Mullen that the only way he could get his son was to make him smile.   First of all if he told the NCAA that then it should not be public knowledge.  So this is unsubstantiated reporting again.  It was part of the orchestration and PF, JB and Shane knew about it a 5 days before it was released.  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-18/mississippi-state-booster-says-texts-set-out-newton-payments-espn-reports.html

I remember reading something on a message board referencing 'make me smile' last week like Thursday or Friday. WOW I guess that shows a concerted effort to leak the info. I wonder if any rules exist about 'player tampering' in the NCAA where a school is making an effort to get another school's player in trouble with accusations. People need to just drop the semantics of Cecil's comments it really is not important who started it and I think it has already been looked at and known about by AU compliance.

"I don't know exactly what words were used because I wasn't there, but there is no question that Cecil Newton sought money. No question at all. As we reported here last Saturday, he admitted it to the NCAA. Again, anyone who thinks Cecil Newton is somehow going to come out of this as having done nothing wrong is not being realistic. That's not what matters to Auburn. Again, two questions matter to Auburn: Did Cam Newton get anything from Auburn? Did Cam Newton know what his father was doing? If, as I believe, the answer to both questions is no, it's reasonable to expect he will remain eligible. Auburn can't be held responsible for what happened at Mississippi State" 

Per PM on Auburn Undercover

People need to just drop the semantics of Cecil's comments it really is not important who started it and I think it has already been looked at and known about by AU compliance.

But the semantics are all we have to go by.

Like this...  Read the first 11 words one by one and think about what each really mean...

From the article linked in supermods post 

Rogers “told me this kid’s dad is going to want money and the next day he sent me a text message,” Bell said, according to ESPN. “He didn’t say anything other than ‘This is what I want and I want it in three installments.’” ....

Is this guy clairvoyant now?

:wareagle:y

PM in that same chat blog

I don't know exactly what words were used because I wasn't there, but there is no question that Cecil Newton sought money. No question at alul. As we reported here last Saturday, he admitted it to the NCAA. Again, anyone who thinks Cecil Newton is somehow going to come out of this as having done nothing wrong is not being realistic. That's not what matters to Auburn. Again, two questions matter to Auburn: Did Cam Newton get anything from Auburn? Did Cam Newton know what his father was doing? If, as I believe, the answer to both questions is no, it's reasonable to expect he will remain eligible. Auburn can't be held responsible for what happened at Mississippi State

This about sums it up. The NCAA knew about this last Friday before the game, the NCAA did not recommend to sit Cam. What PM is referring to about Cecil will have to live with this, he is right. This whole saga has damaged his and somewhat his sons reputation. But, as long as things are good b/w Cam and Cecil, it doesn't matter what others think.

With him being pastor it absolutely matters what others think. A pastor without credibility is not worth very much to his flock.

PM is a serious reporter and a solid dude with 40 years experience. He is not one to spread rumors. I am sure he has been up to his elbows researching this whole ordeal since it started. I look at what he says to be closer to the truth than the usual media garbage for what it's worth.

PM is a serious reporter and a solid dude with 40 years experience. He is not one to spread rumors. I am sure he has been up to his elbows researching this whole ordeal since it started. I look at what he says to be closer to the truth than the usual media garbage for what it's worth.

Exactly. Phillip has as many "sources" at Auburn as anybody, and I mean anybody. You don't cover Auburn athletics for over 40 years and not make solid contacts on the "inside". Cecil has come out and said he discussed pay-for-play. He has never said he initiated the discussions, but he certainly entertained them. Maybe he changed his mind with MSU. Maybe MSU said no way to that kind of money. The NCAA and FBI will tell us how they feel it went down.

Exactly. Phillip has as many "sources" at Auburn as anybody, and I mean anybody. You don't cover Auburn athletics for over 40 years and not make solid contacts on the "inside". Cecil has come out and said he discussed pay-for-play. He has never said he initiated the discussions, but he certainly entertained them. Maybe he changed his mind with MSU. Maybe MSU said no way to that kind of money. The NCAA and FBI will tell us how they feel it went down.

I keep going back to the same direct quote of PM.  Cecil Newton SOUGHT money.  That's very different than discussing it or entertaining it.  If he's a solid reporter, with inside sources, like you say, then there is no question what happened.  Seeking means asking or requesting, going in search of, trying to acquire or gain.  It's actively doing something.

On the list of bad:

1. discussing it (open to interpretation  = not bad)

2. entertaining it (giving it some thought = not great)

3. seeking it (asking, requesting, trying to acquire = bad)

Is Phillip Marshall  letting us in on something?

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Phillips-blog-An-orchestrated-campaign-6011

"Cecil Newton. Regardless of the outcome, he has to live with what he’s done to his son. Even if Cam Newton is ultimately cleared, his reputation has been trashed. He is a victim in every sense of the word."

Doesn't sounds like something PM would say unless he was trying to tell us something.

"What happens now? That’s a question I can’t answer. The first thing that should happen is that the NCAA should make a decision on Cam Newton’s eligibility. Surely, investigators know by now whether there is evidence he participated in or knew about his father’s scheme. They clearly know the urgency involved for Auburn’s football team, for the Heisman Trophy, for the national championship race and for college football in general. "

What do you make of that?

Am I getting loopy because of all this,  and just reading way too much into it?

How carefully were those wrods chosen for this article?

Is this a shock to anyone but hardcore AU fans?

"Cecil Newton. Regardless of the outcome, he has to live with what he’s done to his son. Even if Cam Newton is ultimately cleared, his reputation has been trashed. He is a victim in every sense of the word."

Doesn't sounds like something PM would say unless he was trying to tell us something.

"What happens now? That’s a question I can’t answer. The first thing that should happen is that the NCAA should make a decision on Cam Newton’s eligibility. Surely, investigators know by now whether there is evidence he participated in or knew about his father’s scheme. They clearly know the urgency involved for Auburn’s football team, for the Heisman Trophy, for the national championship race and for college football in general. "

:dunno: I think you've asked your question on the wrong board -- we're all hard core Auburn fans here!

:dunno: I think you've asked your question on the wrong board -- we're all hard core Auburn fans here!

Exactly. I asked it on the right board.. :P

I think what he means by "sought money" is that he was an active participant and not someone who didn't know what was going or was at that time uncomfortable with discussions taking place about money...  Now if the NCAA knows his role in all of this, and is confident AU did not participate, then they may be looking at MSU and interviewing the three amigos to determine how big a role they played... If they find that MSU boosters were actually participating in discussions with Newton, then you could expect them to hand MSU a OLOI. The fact that MSU failed to report any of this and continued to recruit Cam could not be looked upon very favorably by the NCAA.. Now if the NCAA makes a solid connection to AU or AU boosters, then watch out, because it will get really ugly.

I keep going back to the same direct quote of PM.  Cecil Newton SOUGHT money.  That's very different than discussing it or entertaining it.  If he's a solid reporter, with inside sources, like you say, then there is no question what happened.  Seeking means asking or requesting, going in search of, trying to acquire or gain.  It's actively doing something.

On the list of bad:

Read this article. This is the initial article that everybody in the media "claimed" that Cecil said he initiated the money thing. It doesn't say that he initiated the money talk, but does admit to talking about pay-for-play. Spin it any way you want, but Cecil himself admitted to having "conversations" (plural). He also said Cam nor Mrs. Newton knew nothing of this. Phillip is right. This makes Cecil look horrible, especially after everything Cam went through at UF.

http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/25778803/detail.html

I think what he means by "sought money" is that he was an active participant and not someone who didn't know what was going or was at that time uncomfortable with discussions taking place about money...  Now if the NCAA knows his role in all of this, and is confident AU did not participate, then they may be looking at MSU and interviewing the three amigos to determine how big a role they played... If they find that MSU boosters were actually participating in discussions with Newton, then you could expect them to hand MSU a OLOI. The fact that MSU failed to report any of this and continued to recruit Cam could not be looked upon very favorably by the NCAA.. Now if the NCAA makes a solid connection to AU or AU boosters, then watch out, because it will get really ugly.

I can't disagree with that assessment.

On the list of bad:

Someone close to the family told one person, Mark Winne of WSB that Cecil had a discussion about money.  He reported the statement last Friday.  PM had to referencing that statement because that was the only statement released to anybody and he said he reported it last Saturday.   If Cecil did tell this to the NCAA then I am sure he would have been told to not comment publicly.  So who got the transcripts from the NCAA meeting or who with the NCAA leaked the info to the media.

On the list of bad:

I will let PM's career and reputation speak for themselves. It is what it is. Dude knows what's going on as much as anyone.

If what PM says is true and no link can be made to anyone associated with AU giving money to the Newton family, ultimately the question is, "Does Cecil Newton seeking money from MSU make him ineligible?" 

Also,  Cecil says Cam didn't know of it.  If that's the case, we've got the public rumor of  Cam's phone call to the coach/recruiter where he says "the money was too much".  That would contradict Cecil's point about Cam being unaware...

What did or didn't happen doesn't even begin to address the motivations of those who made this public...

If what PM says is true and no link can be made to anyone associated with AU giving money to the Newton family, ultimately the question is, "Does Cecil Newton seeking money from MSU make him ineligible?" 

Also,  Cecil says Cam didn't know of it.  If that's the case, we've got the public rumor of  Cam's phone call to the coach/recruiter where he says "the money was too much".  That would contradict Cecil's point about Cam being unaware...

What did or didn't happen doesn't even begin to address the motivations of those who made this public...

It is a big ole mess,that's for sure.

Archived