PM

Quietmaninthecorner

Is Phillip Marshall  letting us in on something?

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Phillips-blog-An-orchestrated-campaign-6011

"Cecil Newton. Regardless of the outcome, he has to live with what he’s done to his son. Even if Cam Newton is ultimately cleared, his reputation has been trashed. He is a victim in every sense of the word."

Doesn't sounds like something PM would say unless he was trying to tell us something.

"What happens now? That’s a question I can’t answer. The first thing that should happen is that the NCAA should make a decision on Cam Newton’s eligibility. Surely, investigators know by now whether there is evidence he participated in or knew about his father’s scheme. They clearly know the urgency involved for Auburn’s football team, for the Heisman Trophy, for the national championship race and for college football in general. "

What do you make of that?

Am I getting loopy because of all this,  and just reading way too much into it?

How carefully were those wrods chosen for this article?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PM in that same chat blog

I don't know exactly what words were used because I wasn't there, but there is no question that Cecil Newton sought money. No question at all. As we reported here last Saturday, he admitted it to the NCAA. Again, anyone who thinks Cecil Newton is somehow going to come out of this as having done nothing wrong is not being realistic. That's not what matters to Auburn. Again, two questions matter to Auburn: Did Cam Newton get anything from Auburn? Did Cam Newton know what his father was doing? If, as I believe, the answer to both questions is no, it's reasonable to expect he will remain eligible. Auburn can't be held responsible for what happened at Mississippi State

I don't know exactly what words were used because I wasn't there, but there is no question that Cecil Newton sought money. No question at all. As we reported here last Saturday, he admitted it to the NCAA. Again, anyone who thinks Cecil Newton is somehow going to come out of this as having done nothing wrong is not being realistic. That's not what matters to Auburn. Again, two questions matter to Auburn: Did Cam Newton get anything from Auburn? Did Cam Newton know what his father was doing? If, as I believe, the answer to both questions is no, it's reasonable to expect he will remain eligible. Auburn can't be held responsible for what happened at Mississippi State

This about sums it up. The NCAA knew about this last Friday before the game, the NCAA did not recommend to sit Cam. What PM is referring to about Cecil will have to live with this, he is right. This whole saga has damaged his and somewhat his sons reputation. But, as long as things are good b/w Cam and Cecil, it doesn't matter what others think.

Appears he feels very confident in his source.  I didn't realize that this had been reported by him last week.

Who reported a fact that Cecil sought money?  The original report was that he had a discussion about money.  He never publicly admitted to asking for money.  If he admitted to the NCAA it would not be public knowledge.  

I tend to agree with the fact that the NCAA needs to make their decision on Cam's eligibility. It's been reported that Cam, his dad and Auburn have been interviewed by the NCAA, and the NCAA (and FBI) have interviewed Rogers, Bond, Wright and Rogers (and I assume McGregor, based on TMZ's report). What's left? If the NCAA has heard Bell's voicemails from Rogers(which is what was reported by ESPN) and have talked with Auburn and the Newtons, then surely they have to have an idea as to if they think something wrong happened.

However, I won't totally agree w/ Phillip's words about Cecil Newton Sr. YET. How does Phillip know that Cecil was the one that brought money up in the first place? Sure, that's what Bell and Rogers are saying, but without any evidence to back it up, anybody can say anything. What if Rogers approached Cecil w/ the money idea, Cecil said no, Cecil chose for Cam to go to AU and then Rogers/Bell/Bond/whoever got butthurt and decided to leak all this information? How is that Cecil's fault? The only thing Cecil admitted to was that there were TALKS about under-the-table money with Miss. St., and that Cam nor his mother knew anything about it. Cecil never said who approached who about the money. I'm not saying that Cecil is innocent b/c he very well could've thrown the money idea out there first, but w/o any concrete proof, I don't like Phillip talking about Cecil that way. It's not known whether Cecil did any of this or not.

I also want to remind us all of one thing. Yesterday, it was widely reported that there was a three-way phone conversation in which a "payment plan" was discussed. This story was published as if it contained some sort of new information. While the details could possibly be considered new, it was actually old news in one sense. We did not just learn, all of a sudden, yesterday that Cecil Newton had a conversation about money. We know that he told that to the NCAA last week. There was a lot of fuss yesterday about something which was old news i.e. Cecil Newton had a conversation about money.

It seems that Philip Marshall is saying that Cecil Newton should've known that his son has already suffered enough damage to his reputation with the whole laptop incident, and should have had the foresight and common sense to do something like this to his own son. Even if we are all cleared, Cameron Newton will never be looked at the same by a lot of people and that should never, ever be due to a Dad's doing.

To me, whether or not Cecil initiated the money talk or listened to the money talk then talked about money, makes no difference. This is not a three year old's argument "he did it first" type accusation. If he discussed it he discussed it.

Who reported a fact that Cecil sought money?  The original report was that he had a discussion about money.  He never publicly admitted to asking for money.  If he admitted to the NCAA it would not be public knowledge.  

This is what I wanted to hear from you.  Sorry if I caused a board panick. I knew it was just a matter of time before all this got to me and I had a panic attack.  I think I held on prettylong.  (14 days,  not bad considering.)   It was just VERY shocking to me coming from PM.  Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

WDE

To me, whether or not Cecil initiated the money talk or listened to the money talk then talked about money, makes no difference. This is not a three year old's argument "he did it first" type accusation. If he discussed it he discussed it.

I agree. It's not like he had zero knowledge that college athletes can't be paid during recruiting. Regardless of who brought it up, he knew better.

I read somewhere but being old can't remember where, that Cecil realized what he'd done with the "Money Discussion" and when he was in AU told CGC about it and CGC went to the SEC/NCAA and told them, before MSU did. Then got the okay to sign him.

Was I dreaming?  Or is that out there somewhere.  I fear I'm in Data Overload mode here.

:we:

To me, asking for money and having money offered up but not entertaining or accepting it are two very different things.

entertaining vs soliciting are two completely different words.  To date I have heard nothing about Cecil Newton soliciting $, only entertaining the thought.  What I think Marshalll might be trying to say is that Cecil should never have put himself in that position to begin with.  And I think we can all agree on that.

entertaining vs soliciting are two completely different words.  To date I have heard nothing about Cecil Newton soliciting $, only entertaining the thought.  What I think Marshalll might be trying to say is that Cecil should never have put himself in that position to begin with.  And I think we can all agree on that.

Phillip Marshall's quote is that Cecil Newton "sought money".  He is saying this very definitively.  This is news to me.

It seems that Philip Marshall is saying that Cecil Newton should've known that his son has already suffered enough damage to his reputation with the whole laptop incident, and should have had the foresight and common sense to do something like this to his own son. Even if we are all cleared, Cameron Newton will never be looked at the same by a lot of people and that should never, ever be due to a Dad's doing.

Winner. Either way he needs to fall on the sword. Cam and AU are taking a beating.

I agree. It's not like he had zero knowledge that college athletes can't be paid during recruiting. Regardless of who brought it up, he knew better.

I said after the CBS broadcast game last week, the way they were talking, was Auburn's defense was going to be Cam didn't know about it.  I hope that is the case.  

I trust whatever Philip reports, therefore that means Cecil was in the wrong here, one way or another.  Can anybody prove that Cam knew about it?  That's where text, phone, and voicemail records come into this.  If Cam didn't know, we'll skirt the rule.  Really hope that's the case.  From what I've seen out of Auburn this season, Cam seems to be a good representative.  Not to mention the best college football player I've ever laid eyes on.

Winner. Either way he needs to fall on the sword. Cam and AU are taking a beating.

Appropriate punishment , if true.  Lock him in a room with NF for half hour with no Flags or whistles.

Although neither is good, soliciting money and being told money could be available by a booster are different.  We still don't know and may never know what exactly happened between Cecil and Rogers.  Because of credibility issues I tend to believe Cecil moreso than Rogers.  And I would think that if no actual proof is presented that investigators would feel the same way.

But PM is all over the UAT involvement and the fact that bits and pieces of innuendo are being carefully orchestrated for release to the media.  

At present there are no publicly known "facts", and facts are what will determine the future for AU, Cam et alli.  The ONLY parties who can give those facts will be the NCAA, SEC, and the FBI once they deem proper to do so and not before then, especially since the FBI is involved because this involves a potential criminal offense, punishable by law.  Who, what, when, where, how are all still subject to speculation by the public.  Those who are at risk the most are usually the first to attempt to manipulate "image" because the facts are against them, and the only ones I hear talking are MSU people.  Those with confidence in such a dilemma are generally those most quiet.....such as Coach Chizik, Cam, and AU.

WDE !!!

... I fear I'm in Data Overload mode here.

I can relate.  If asked I would have a hard time putting together a timeline of all the rumors and random info I have read.  

tuesday wife mentioned something,  and I said, "you are just now hearing that version?  That info has been out for 3 or 4 days".   Later that night ... I  came on here and the original post about the subject had been bumped to the top.  I clicked it and saw that the news had  boken only 6 hours or so earlier.    The info had changed so many times in those 6 hours I felt like I had 4 days of info being sorted in my brain.   It was quite embarassing to tell her.

THIS!!!!

You might as well give up because it's the same old ignorant dribble that keeps spewing even from the AU faithful  :banghead:

Cecil said he was at a meeting when money was discussed.  That's all.  That's the only evidence that links him to money.  Heck, I have been in business meetings where tainted money was offered.  I didn't bite on it. in fact I flat turned it down.  That's not a violation of anything.   It would not surprise me one bit if Cecil comes out of this thing looking like a hero for reporting bad behavior.  Cecil may just be a whistle blower.   Heck, Cecil turned down a money offer for an offer to have his son coached by the best coaching staff in college football.   Looks to me like he made the right decision.

Archived