Stronger, Bigger, Faster; Derick Hall

toddc

Stronger, bigger, faster' Derick Hall excited about new role

89 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama—A productive player his first two seasons for the Auburn defense but wanting to take his game to another level, Edge linebacker Derick Hallmade a conscious decision to come into the spring looking different. Up to 251 pounds and keeping his speed, the Mississippi product said for him the change has been very positive as he adjusts to Derek Mason’s defense with the Tigers.

"Oh yeah, that was my goal this offseason to get stronger, get bigger, get faster,” Hall said. “So we're just moving along pretty good. I mean, I feel good. I feel like I can still move, still play to the run. 251 feels good. It's definitely helped me.”

If you don’t believe Hall, ask someone who sees him every day in practice. One of the veterans on Auburn’s offensive line, Brodarious Hamm likes what Hall has done so far in spring practice as the Tigers transition to more of a 3-4 look up front.

“Well first off, the defense is different, just being able to go up against that every day, it helps us in our game, helps us learn different fronts and everything,” Hamm said. “Derick Hall, he's just -- he's different, man. He comes to work every day. You're going to get his best every day, every play. I can see a difference in him.”

Getting some playing time as a true freshman when he made 13 tackles, Hall took his game to another level in 2020 for the Tigers when he had 21 tackles and three and a half sacks in 11 games. That year has given him the confidence to continue moving forward this spring, particularly as a pass rusher.

"Just this spring alone, we've definitely strived to pass rush as a team with the new defense and just learning everything and getting everything down,” Hall said. “We're moving along pretty well with everything, and we should find out when we open the season."

10315845.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Derick Hall is noticeably bigger this spring. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

At his new position, Hall is being asked to do more things as Mason looks for versatility out of everyone on his defense. Joined by Caleb Johnson and former Hoover standut and current walk-on Nick Curtis, Hall said being able to do different things is a must at the Edge position in this scheme.

“It's completely different,” he said as compared to the buck linebacker spot a season ago. “It's a lot more drops and stuff like that, so we're able to put a lot more stuff on film that we're not used to -- well, that we haven't had a chance to [have] exposure to, being able to show what we can and can't do as far as different aspects of the game.

“I think it's pretty significant for us and the defense as a whole with what we've got planned. The guys that are there, everybody is taking it on real well. The spring's gone well so far."

With still the bulk of spring practice still remaining, Hall said the goal at every position is to create competition so everyone is forced to step up their game. That’s already happening at the Edge position where both Johnson and Curtis are making their presence felt.

7COMMENTS

“Like I said, just having that change, it’s good,” Hall said of switching to a new scheme and staff. “You get a fresh start. Just coming in with this new staff and starting the spring out – Caleb, he moved over after the second practice. So he came on a little late, but he’s moving around really good, showing versatility in what he can do. 

“(Curtis) He put on a little bit of weight, so having him a little bigger, a little faster, a little stronger has definitely helped us at that edge position.”

BroHamm's comments made it occur to me that our offense might be better prepared to face bama and uga after practicing against a 3-4. Off topic and probably discussed elsewhere already. Apologies. Back to DHall.

Stronger, bigger, faster, this is music to my ears. It's also coming through loud and clear that the D players are taking to the Mason defense and the coaching from him and his D staff.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

BroHamm's comments made it occur to me that our offense might be better prepared to face bama and uga after practicing against a 3-4. Off topic and probably discussed elsewhere already. Apologies. Back to DHall.

Good point. I agree, this will help the OL a lot.

I really think he’s up for a monster year. He’s got all the tools to be a real good player for CDM!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That and, I think more importantly, going best-on-best more often

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

answer relevant and will be excepted. lol  i actually agree with you. i really like coach mason and he is my first pick at DC. i am sure many will disagree but i am not sure how anyone might even think mason is not a quality hire. even bob has appears to have bo working and making some strides in his mechanics. and as many teams that have had bobo and were less than pleased with him and wanting him gone seem to be legion but i think he is doing some great things. i do reserve the right to change my mind down the road.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i do reserve the right to change my mind down the road.

As do we all. It's only the folks who can't acknowledge the change or that previous opinions were incorrect that run into trouble. Alas, there's no money in honesty. 

Oh, as for folks not liking the Mason hire, there's not a single guy out there that would have satisfied the entire fanbase. And that's probably for the best. Somebody needs to ask the hard questions and give him something to keep reaching for.

Archived