Roger McCreary Returning for 2021

toddc

McCreary returning for 2021 season

4 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama—One of Auburn’s most consistent defensive performers the last two seasons, junior cornerback Roger McCreary has decided to return for his redshirt junior season with the Tigers after weighing NFL options with family and others. 

A full-time starter last season after playing a key role as a top reserve and part-time starter in 2019, McCreary is coming off a strong year for the Tigers when he made 45 total tackles and intercepted three passes. Also showing his physical nature, the Mobile native also had seven stops behind the line of scrimmage and forced a fumble.

As a sophomore McCreary stepped into a key role for the defense opposite corners Javaris Davis and Noah Igbinoghene, finishing the year with 36 tackles, an interception and a team-high 12 passes defensed.

A three-star prospect coming out of Williamson High in Mobile where he played for defensive coordinator and former Auburn standout Antonio Coleman, McCreary has played with a chip on his shoulder since arriving as an under the radar recruit. He said that’s something that drives him.

“I feel like, in my recruitment, I had to really be seen and make game-changing plays -- make teams not throw the ball at me,” he said. “So I feel like I've made some game-changing plays for the team to see I'm really doing something on my side.”

2COMMENTS

McCreary’s return is the second big announcement for the Auburn defense this week with junior Smoke Monday also announcing his plans to be back for the 2021 season. With McCreary, Nehemiah Pritchett, Jaylin Simpson and Marco Domio all expected to return, Auburn returns its top four cornerbacks from last season.

9945683.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Roger McCreary is Auburn's top cornerback. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

• toddc changed the title to Roger McCreary Returning for 2021

Outstanding.  Keeping Roger along with Zakoby and Smoke is huge for the defense.  Now let's cross our fingers for Sherwood sticking around!

This thread should be popping with celebrations. Huge keep here. 

Archived