Brandon Council Done for the Season

toddc

Auburn starting OL Brandon Council out for the season

ByNATHAN KING 

Auburn starting right guard Brandon Council will be out for the season after suffering a "severe knee injury" in the Tigers' 35-28 win over Ole Miss, Gus Malzahn told reporters Sunday evening. Council, an offseason grad transfer addition from Akron, has started every game on Auburn's offensive line in 2020.

Council started at right guard for the Tigers' first two games and most recent two but has also bounced some to left guard while the line has rotated. In Game 3 against Arkansas, Council started at right tackle while Brodarious Hamm was being worked back from an injury.

Since the 2020 season doesn't count as a year off players' eligibility across college football, Malzahn said he thinks there "could be a good chance" Council could have two more years left with the team, though he hasn't discussed it thoroughly with Council yet. Even though he's a grad transfer, Council is only a junior.

"That was real tough because he’s really coming on," Malzahn said of Council. "He’s a super person and a really good player. That’s going to be a tough blow."

Redshirt freshman Keiondre Jones started the Arkansas game at right guard and has seen his fair share of in-game reps at the position when Council moved to left guard, and Jones also finished the Ole Miss game after Council went down. Malzahn said Jones will fill in for Council, and Austin Troxell has a chance to compete for the opening, too.

A 6-foot-4, 325-pound native of Tar Heel, North Carolina, Council was a three-year starter at Akron from 2017-19, notching a start at four of five spots on Akron's offensive line. He committed to Auburn on April 9.

16COMMENTS

"Of all the schools, I felt like [Auburn] was the best fit," Council told Auburn Undercover when he committed. "They needed experience and I give them that. I'm a guy that can come solidify the offensive line."

Council had been one of the Tigers' more consistent players along the front line, regardless of where he was being asked to play in a given game. Before the Ole Miss game, Auburn had been feeling better about the continuity on its offensive line, since the group was able to go through two straight weeks of practice with the same starting five for the first time all season or preseason, Malzahn said. Auburn dealt with COVID-19 issues within the position group in fall camp, and later had a few nagging injuries in the early part of the season.

it’s a good thing Gus has been recruiting offensive lineman the past few years in case something like this happens. 

I'm so sad to see this happen. Council transferred in and earned a starting place on the OL. From all accounts, he was the most versatile OL.

Well, this is a "does not count" season, so I hope the young man makes a comeback and is here for us next year. My applause to him!!!!

Hope is recovery goes well and if he wants to, come back next year and have a good year...

31 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Oh man. I really hate for Brandon. SIM e he's only a junior, can Brandon get a red shirt this year?

Everyone gets a pass this year 

8 hours ago, toddc said:

Everyone gets a pass this year 

Except the Tight Ends. 

12 hours ago, fishepa said:

it’s a good thing Gus has been recruiting offensive lineman the past few years in case something like this happens. 

No worries, we will just plug in those JUCO kids he signed last year. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Bill and I have been waiting for this moment for years. Most underrated man crush on this site, about to be front and center!

He's gonna play center, too?! Gonna have to tell him to take some of the mustard off those snaps, but otherwise I don't see why not.

To Bill Brasky Taylor!

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Or move a dlineman over. 

Man, this is a rough break for Council; I hope his rehab goes well.

We just need to change the lineup of the front 5 now a bit, and we'll be fine:  LT, LG, C, TE, RT.

22 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

... but we have quality depth!

On 10/26/2020 at 7:54 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Man y'all are soooooo negative.  Don't worry,  Gus been signing all those top 15 classes.

SlightFrankIndianskimmer-size_restricted.gif

Archived