Trooper: Benton will 'light up the record books'

RunInRed

I still don't get why DB has not seen the field more - especially when I see guys like Wisner and Burns out there.

Auburn wide receiver DeAngelo Benton has yet to catch a pass this season, prompting many to wonder if all the hubbub about the freshman’s talent was overblown.

Wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor says don’t give up hope yet.

“I promise you he will light the record books up,” Taylor said. “You can write that down, before he gets out of here, because he has that type of ability.”

Of Auburn’s four freshman receivers, Benton, a former five-star recruit who is two years removed from high school, has done the least this year. He’s had a number of chances to get that elusive first catch but has been plagued by a series of drops, including one at LSU.

Taylor hasn’t seen the 6-foot-2, 192-pound receiver get down on himself.

“Not one bit of drop-off or change,” he said. “The big deal for him is the speed of the game coming back. His last game was two years ago in high school. Those things take a little time.

“What you don’t want to do is put him out there and him get overwhelmed and think he can’t play. The physical tools are there. Now we just have to get the mental side of it and the temperament part of it back.”

Taylor has been pleased with the freshman’s progress off the field, especially academically. He doesn’t know how long it will take for things to click on the field, but he is positive they will.

“The kid is talented,” Taylor said. “I think we’re going to be real excited we got him.”

http://wareagleextra.blogspot.com/2009/10/trooper-wr-benton-will-light-record.html

Because he can't catch. I think its just taking a little longer for the rust to come off than everyone hoped. On top of knocking of rust, he's also adjusting to college ball. He'll be alright in the future.

When a ball hits most people in the hands but still winds up on the ground consistently, they usually earn the name "stone hands". He'll be alright, I think he just needs a little time to get back in the swing of things. Remember, he came in somewhat late, so he hasn't really had a lot of time to practice fundamentals. They were putting in the offense by the time he got here. I think we'll see a different guy out there next year after he goes through (hopefully) post season, spring, and summer practices and has a chance to get back to basics.

I do wonder why they haven't tried a little more though. I wonder that about other receivers too. Taylor said the other week that one reason we never see Hawthorne is because he's playing behind Adams, and he's not going to pull Adams unless he messes up. I'm no coach or anything, but couldn't he possibly play somewhere else? I mean, are you really going to put a walk on out there over Hawthorne/Blake/Benton because they're "behind" someone and the walk on isn't?

I think Adams and Zachary are simply way ahead of the pack right now. Benton has (I think) four drops. Blake had three or four before he finally caught one. Hawthorne has at least two drops. If caught,some of those drops could have been game changers for us.

As far as subs go, Stallworth, Carr and Wisner are playing so it's not that the coaches won't use subs. Those three are catching the ball and probably should be ahead of Benton, Blake and Hawthorne at this point in time.

I just looked at some stats. Do we really only have 2 receivers that can catch the ball consistently? I find that hard to believe with some of the supposed talent we have at that position. Is Todd not spreading it around, are they not able to get open, or do they just drop it any time it comes their way? I knew Adams and Zachary have been the only ones producing, but I'm curious as to what's being done to get more production out of Hawthorne, Benton, Blake, Carr, Louis, Stallworth, Burns, and Lutzenkirchen. In some cases (cough... Lutzenkirchen... cough) I think you just need to get them on the field. And yes, some of these guys are playing somewhat regularly, but where's the production?

For the life of me I can’t figure Benton out. You hear all of these great things about him but he’s not getting any significant playing time. I’m not giving up on him but at this point in time it’s hard to see him as a “record breaking” receiver. Most of the guys that are “record breakers” usually contribute right off the bat. For example, you take a guy like Ronney Daniels who had some time away from football and came in and immediately became the go to guy. But then again Coach Taylor knows a lot more than I do so I have to trust his instincts.

Benton, Blake, Carr and Stallworth need to be involved more. By using quick slants the can gain yardage and get use to the speed of SEC defenses. The quick slant is also missing from this years playbook, so there are ways to get these guys involved and build their confidence along with the QB and OL. They must, at all cost, hold on the the ball after the catch.

Besides the names already mentioned, Eric Smith and Kodi Burns have been getting a lot of playing time as receivers, too. I'm not sure anyone saw that coming in July/Aug--I certainly didn't.

Besides the names already mentioned, Eric Smith and Kodi Burns have been getting a lot of playing time as receivers, too. I'm not sure anyone saw that coming in July/Aug--I certainly didn't.

Yea, but KB has not caught a pass as a WR or even been thrown to, I don't think, so I imagine the defenses are keying in on that and kind of "ignoring" him lined up as WR. I don't know, seems ineffective to line KB up as WR if there is not that threat there to throw the ball to him. Defenses will just see Burns in the game lined up in slot, ok he will go in motion, QB is gonna do read play or straight hand off to RB w/ fake to Burns, maybe hand to him on "reverse".

I'm of the opinion, if you are going to have a downfield passing threat, but the guys in there at WR that are going to be a threat or at least use Burns in that capacity so defenses will have to respect him lined up at WR.

I know he's had some drops but do you really believe "he can't catch?"

He hasn't caught a pass even though 4 or 5 have hit him in the hands. He also has not run the routes correctly on plays that were designed to go to him (Caudles interception against Ball State comes to mind plus two out patterns in a row against La Tech).

Dropped passes & fumbles IMO are more focus issues than ability issues after the high school level but both can lose games...quickly.

A former 5-star receiver chronically dropping passes points to current coaching and it shouldn't take months for his coach to correct. Sorry to be the heretic re. Trooper here but that's my opinion.

It ain't Taylor. Its pretty hard to work on fundamentals during the season. Practice time is occupied with studying film and game planning. Also, Benton might not be in a position to put in extra time outside of practice with it being his first semester.

Archived