Ex-Vols assistant feels at home at Auburn

RunInRed

Looks like Trooper Taylor has found a home - and plans on staying there a while...

Ex-Vols assistant feels at home at Auburn

By Dave Hooker • KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL • September 29, 2009

Trooper Taylor has mellowed — sort of.

There will still be towel waving and chest bumping on the sidelines Saturday when Tennessee (2-2, 0-1 SEC) hosts a former fan favorite and his Auburn mates, but the 39-year-old Taylor claims his long-term goals have changed a bit.

No longer is the former UT assistant so determined to climb the career ladder in record pace. Now coaching receivers at Auburn (4-0, 1-0), Taylor sees the importance of finding a more permanent home after coaching for three schools in three seasons: UT in 2007, Oklahoma State in 2008 and Auburn this season.

“They’ve changed a little bit,” Taylor said of his priorities. “Now I’m at the point to where I want to make sure I’m not moving my kids around in high school so I want to be established at a place for the next four or five years where they can set their roots.”

Taylor’s wife, Evi, and their children — son, Blaise, and daughter, Starr — have followed their father to six schools during his 18-year career. The moves have been made by choice.

Taylor has continually proved himself as a position coach and a recruiter. But when a promotion or title was offered, he was often lured elsewhere.

Read more ...

That is a good article...we've got a really good coach in Trooper Taylor that is for sure.

I hope he does stay around for a while. I like the way our receiving corps has stepped up this year. Our dropped passes and failed routes are things of the past. I believe that Todd has cofidence that if he puts the ball in the air, there's a great possibility of someone catching it. and on top of everything else, He's a great recruiter, and I see us getting some real 5 stars as WR under this guy.

His son Blaise is an 8th grader at our Jr.High and a great kid. He is on our football team and is a great player! He is very smart too. Took the graduation exam for Math this week. I hope he stays, I want to teach him next year. Luper's son is also at our school, in my class and a great kid too. Great quarterback for our 9th grade team and even played quarterback in the Auburn High game (4th quarter) last week when we defeated Jeff Davis 47 - 0. I hope they all stay, but that is a big wish. I bet it is hard on them when they have to move a lot and the kids have gotten settled.

Archived