Numbers give Auburn the advantage

StatTiger

Numbers of concern…

·Arkansas is currently 6th in the nation in kick returns and Auburn is 88th in the nation in kick-return defense. (Advantage: Arkansas) This could become a vital area of concern for Auburn if this game turns into an offensive shootout. Every time Auburn scores, they have to kickoff to the Razorbacks giving them another opportunity on special teams.

·Ryan Mallet had 7 completions of 30-yards or more against Georgia and Auburn has allowed 6 pass plays of 30-yards or more this season. (Advantage: Arkansas)

·Auburn’s passing game is 29th in pass offense and 14th in pass efficiency. The Razorback defense is 113th in pass defense and 111th in pass efficiency defense. (Advantage: Auburn) Hopefully Auburn can remained balanced on offense but Chris Todd could have a big day if the Razorbacks sell out to stop the run.

·Auburn is 5th in total offense and 5th in scoring offense. Arkansas is 97th in total defense and 90th in scoring defense. (Advantage: Auburn) As good as the Arkansas passing game might be, the Razorbacks will have more of a challenge, stopping Gus Malzahn’s “balanced” offense.

·Arkansas is tied for No. 1 in red zone offense and Auburn is 108th in red zone defense. (Advantage: Arkansas)

·Auburn is 5th nationally in run-offense and Arkansas is 48th in run defense. (Advantage: Auburn) Arkansas has improved their run-defense from last season, which allowed over 177 yards rushing. This season, they are allowing only 121-yards. This could be another grand opportunity for the combination of Tate and McCalebb.

·Auburn is No. 2 nationally in sacks allowed and Arkansas is 51st in sacks per game. (Advantage: Auburn)

·Auburn is 23rd nationally in 3rd down offense and Arkansas is 117th. Auburn's defense is 63rd in 3rd down defense and Arkansas is 55th. (Advantage: Auburn) This one really surprised me with the Razorback offense being 117th in 3rd down offense. Limiting their big plays should be the key for the Auburn defense. As important as it will be to apply pressure on Mallett, I’m sure Coach Chizik will not want to allow the big play.

·Auburn is 7th nationally in forced-turnovers and Arkansas is 81st. Both teams have done a good job of taking care of the football so this might not be a factor. There is a high probability Auburn will allow a few big plays to the Razorback offense so a few forced-turnovers could offset any big plays allowed. Auburn is 4th nationally in turnover margin, while Arkansas is 54th. (Advantage: Auburn)

·The Razorback defense is 11th nationally in tackles for loss, while Auburn is 77th. (Advantage: Arkansas)

·Auburn is 7th nationally in first downs per game, while the Razorback offense is 68th. On the defensive side of the ball, Auburn is 63rd nationally and Arkansas is 90th. (Advantage: Auburn) Once again, this is a strong indicator; the Razorback offense is far more reliant on the big play, which could play into Auburn's favor. Against FBS competition, Auburn's offense has gone "3 & out" 20.3% of the time, while Arkansas is 36.4%. The Arkansas offense has been held to under 20-yards per possession 59.1% of the time, while Auburn has been held under 20-yards, 29.2% of the time.

The Arkansas offense has been held to under 20-yards per possession 59.1% of the time, while Auburn has been held under 20-yards, 29.2% of the time.

This one really surprised me as well. I really haven't seen Arky play a lot this year, but this combined with some of the other stats (3rd down conversions)indicate to me that they live and die off the big play. If Auburn is able to limit the big plays and force them to be methodical, I feel it really works in our favor.

The stats from the Bama game are like a black hole for us... there isn't a defense in the nation that comes close (unfortunately).

The stats from the Bama game are like a black hole for us... there isn't a defense in the nation that comes close (unfortunately).

This is true. Our offense is based on Mallett's ability to read your defense and to get us into the right play...routes and all that. Alabama's defense totally shut us down after the read...he not only had nowhere to go, he had no time to do it in. If you can duplicate that, we're f***ed. Yay Hogs.

This is true. Our offense is based on Mallett's ability to read your defense and to get us into the right play...routes and all that. Alabama's defense totally shut us down after the read...he not only had nowhere to go, he had no time to do it in. If you can duplicate that, we're f***ed. Yay Hogs.

I believe we will have to outscore you guys.

We need 200 yards on the ground and no turnovers. Oh, and no kickoff return disasters. We get those three and it's in the bag.

We need 200 yards on the ground and no turnovers. Oh, and no kickoff return disasters. We get those three and it's in the bag.

There won't be 200 yards on the ground for Auburn this weekend. If that came close to taking place there would be a SEC D-Coord opening Monday morning.

There won't be 200 yards on the ground for Auburn this weekend. If that came close to taking place there would be a SEC D-Coord opening Monday morning.

IF, big IF , the hogs hold AU to under 200 rushing, then AU will have 350 passing. With the hogs having a pass D worse than ours Arky will have to pick their poison. I think AU can keep the Arky running game contained, it's containing Mallet that concerns me. My question for anyone as I have only seen bits of Arky games is how mobile is Mallet??

IF, big IF , the hogs hold AU to under 200 rushing, then AU will have 350 passing. With the hogs having a pass D worse than ours Arky will have to pick their poison. I think AU can keep the Arky running game contained, it's containing Mallet that concerns me. My question for anyone as I have only seen bits of Arky games is how mobile is Mallet??

Contain our running game? Can you tell me how many personnel changes there are from last year's defense? You do remember what happened last year right? We haven't ran the ball much this year because Mallett presents so many options through the air, but Smith (that ran for 176 last year) is still here, and he's got a couple of new sidekicks in Wingo and Davis that are bigger and faster than him.

I predict that we'll put more rushing yards on the board this weekend than in any previous game this year. One, because we have the ability, and Two, because it helps keep your offense off the field which has improved significantly.

Also, to answer your question Mallett is not very mobile. He can run a bit (not much), but has a tendency to lock into the pocket when he should move around. However that's only because he's prepping to throw the 60yd bomb. B)

Also, to answer your question Mallett is not very mobile. He can run a bit (not much), but has a tendency to lock into the pocket when he should move around. However that's only because he's prepping to throw the 60yd bomb. B)

Seeing as how almost 60% of your drives are 20 yards or less, I don't think that is really the case. :poke:

Seeing as how almost 60% of your drives are 20 yards or less, I don't think that is really the case. :poke:

kwagner, he only said throw it, and nothing about completing it. :rolleyes:

kwagner, he only said throw it, and nothing about completing it. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup::roflol:

Contain our running game? Can you tell me how many personnel changes there are from last year's defense? You do remember what happened last year right? We haven't ran the ball much this year because Mallett presents so many options through the air, but Smith (that ran for 176 last year) is still here, and he's got a couple of new sidekicks in Wingo and Davis that are bigger and faster than him.

I predict that we'll put more rushing yards on the board this weekend than in any previous game this year. One, because we have the ability, and Two, because it helps keep your offense off the field which has improved significantly.

Also, to answer your question Mallett is not very mobile. He can run a bit (not much), but has a tendency to lock into the pocket when he should move around. However that's only because he's prepping to throw the 60yd bomb. cool.gif

Apples oranges. talking like that then AU won't score much b/c our Offense is bad b/c look at last year rolleyes.gif . Arky has rushed for 163 against TAMU, 63 against uat, 77 against UGA, and 144 against Mizzou St. Arky has thrown it 148 times, compared to 111 rushes. It might be that Arky tries to keep it on the ground and racks up a bunch, I don't know. Arky seems to be more of a passing team playing to their QB strength.

I'll be shocked if Arky puts up more than your max this year of 163. You better hope your offense can sustain drives, convert 3rd downs and get first downs better than they have been. I think AU will score at least 35.

Of course, in games with 2 good offenses they usually end up being low scoring games. So many variables, I think if Arky can convert and sustain drives they could beat us but it will be a shoot out. If not, and AU handles the big plays by Arky then AU rolls big. It will be fun to watch.

Archived