Auburn logos....

Guest wareaglekev

Guest wareaglekev

Ive followed Auburn for a while, and lately Ive seen some different logos im not familier with that looked sorta vintage, and wanted to see what kinda history there is behind them:

AUBSTAUVAORG-alt.jpg

and:

logo_auburn_war_bird.jpg

Is there history behind these logos?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first (& my personal fav) is from the 50's (1947)

the second i believe is 60-70's

always loved the first, it resurfaced about 5 years ago and is appearing on more and more

I don't know the full history of those, but they were very prominent when my brother was at Auburn from 76-81.  By the time I was into football (middle school) in 82-83, they seemed to have faded from popularity.  The tiger is identical to one used by Pacific University here in California.

The tiger head is a modification of the full tiger body with that head that was big in the 50s & 60s.  The capital A withe the eagle was dominant in the mid to late 70s and early 80s when I was at Auburn.  It was the official logo at the time and was on all of the PE wear we had to buy because at that time you could not graduate from Auburn without taking 2 PE classes and proving you could swim!

I have a hat with the old school tiger head you have in the first pic...probably my favorite hat, even though I never actually wear hats. I LOVE the old school Aubie...

I have a hat with the old school tiger head you have in the first pic...probably my favorite hat, even though I never actually wear hats. I LOVE the old school Aubie...

I've heard one of my alabama friends say that he hated the old school aubie logo the most. I gotta admit, that's one mean lookin' aubie.

This one was pretty popular too in the 80's:

http://www.collegegolfstore.com/Auburn/Auburn5812FW.jpg

oh, on the eagle one, I heard there was some flak about it because the eagle was a bald eagle instead of a golden eagle. At the time we never had a bald eagle until spirit came in the 2000's.

The old-school Aubie used to be on some of the stadium cups.  This was well before my time.  My mom still has an orange one she uses with the old logo.  From the 70s prolly.  It has the Aubie logo on one side and that eagle logo on the other.

@Auburn Kev:  the tiger part of that logo, if I'm not mistaken, was at the top of both corners of the old south endzone scoreboard up until 2000 I think.  They were part of a noise meter that started at the bottom.  When there was enough noise, the orange bars would light up from the bottom to the tigers at the corners.

aub1989-1126jpg-4ce59340591a2fe7_large.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of the old Aubie with the head that started this thread but with the full body?  I have tried searching for it and cannot find it on the Internet.  My uncle had the decal on his car in the 60s.

@eagleswest95 great pic.  Even though I was only 9 at the time, I can remember this game like yesterday.  It is still my favorite Iron Bowl of all time.

Does anyone have a picture of the old Aubie with the head that started this thread but with the full body?  I have tried searching for it and cannot find it on the Internet.  My uncle had the decal on his car in the 60s.

This is the only Aubie I remember seeing with the full body.

9e33dd1c.jpg

I remember both of the ones posted earlier. My daughter loves the old tiger logo with the cap. I like the "A" with the eagle but nothing beats the current interlocking AU.

Question for the rest of you: Does anyone remember the eagle helmet decals that were given out (I believe late '70's or early '80's) for great plays like many other schools do? They looked like the profile of an eagle in flight but the unique thing about the was that the cut away design between the wing and the tail was a second eagle head. It was a pretty nice looking decal though I am glad AU doesn't use them anymore. I tried to find a picture online but had no success.

I remember both.  I love the tiger.  When I was there in the mid 70s I had a tag and a rear window decal of the A and Eagle. 

Interesting that LSU had the same tiger logo though.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1169908379979&id=0cdaeca9427176ba24620e2dd11ae08e&url=http%3a%2f%2fdrolar.com%2fimages%2flsu%2flsu_mike-hat-color-large.jpg

This is the only Aubie I remember seeing with the full body.

9e33dd1c.jpg

The one he had was a tiger on four paws, side view with Auburn written across the body and the tiger head, a little larger than you would think on the body with the hat on in the first picture.  Looked almost like a tiger cub.  I haven't been able to find it for a long time.  I believe it was popular in the 50s & 60s.

I have a picture of me, when I was a toddler, wearing a onesy with that Aubie head on it. That was probably '66. My Dad has a car tag with the A and the eagle through it. He is old school and loves that ensignia.

Yeah AUIE81, I think I may have the Pic you are talking about here:

I have it around here somewhere.. will dig it up!! body is much smaller in comparison with the head and is standing on all four paws

and for the record... the old school Aubie posted has been retouched w newer colors.. here is the original:

olaubiewbeanie.jpg

I have it around here somewhere.. will dig it up!! body is much smaller in comparison with the head and is standing on all four paws

and for the record... the old school Aubie posted has been retouched w newer colors.. here is the original:

olaubiewbeanie.jpg

THAT's the one i am looking for!

Archived