Auburn, Georgia on different tracks

RunInRed

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

On the surface, Auburn and Georgia share several similarities this season.

They’re both 3-3 in the SEC. They both have had their difficulties on defense, and they both could use a strong finish to the season.

But here’s where they’re markedly different heading into Saturday’s matchup at Sanford Stadium:

At Auburn, there’s hope, a sense that a new day is coming under first-year coach Gene Chizik. An eight-win season would be greeted with a bunch of approving nods. Even a seven-win season would be tolerable. It's still the honeymoon phase.

At Georgia, there’s despair. There’s anger. There’s real concern that this program is on a slippery slope to mediocrity in the SEC, a program that’s been the hallmark of consistency under Mark Richt. A seven-win season would go over about as well as a 10-year-old getting socks for Christmas.

Read more ...

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

On the surface, Auburn and Georgia share several similarities this season.

They’re both 3-3 in the SEC. They both have had their difficulties on defense, and they both could use a strong finish to the season.

But here’s where they’re markedly different heading into Saturday’s matchup at Sanford Stadium:

At Auburn, there’s hope, a sense that a new day is coming under first-year coach Gene Chizik. An eight-win season would be greeted with a bunch of approving nods. Even a seven-win season would be tolerable. It's still the honeymoon phase.

At Georgia, there’s despair. There’s anger. There’s real concern that this program is on a slippery slope to mediocrity in the SEC, a program that’s been the hallmark of consistency under Mark Richt. A seven-win season would go over about as well as a 10-year-old getting socks for Christmas.

Read more ...

If nothing else, the Bulldog Nation wants to see a game where Georgia comes out and tackles well, is in position to make plays, stays away from the maddening penalties and doesn’t self-destruct.

Are we really that different?

Molehill, meet Mountain. Richt has few, if any, problems a shake-up in the coaching staff wouldn't fix, IMHO. Morale may be low, but UGA is still loaded with talent. Time to bring in some new blood to work with it.

Auburn has hope, this week. A couple weeks ago, I'm not sure "hope" would have been an apt descriptor. In any case, CGC starts earning his paycheck in January / February. But on that note, a win this weekend (getting us to 8 wins, and, in all likelihood, a respectable bowl) would give us a huge boost in the recruiting department. Whatever happens against uat (and I'm not about to concede that one, just so you know) would be gravy.

Richt has few, if any, problems a shake-up in the coaching staff wouldn't fix, IMHO.

Morale may be low

but UGA is still loaded with talent.

No

Yes

No

Do tell.

OK, then.

Eh? Per the "experts" (read: Scout), UGA has been ranked in the top six nationally in recruting four out of the last five years. Granted, with Stafford and Moreno leaving there was bound to be dropoff in production, but that doesn't mean the talent cupboard is (anywhere close to) bare. And I'm guessing CMR has more than 75 scholarship players on hand.

Richt has few, if any, problems a shake-up in the coaching staff wouldn't fix, IMHO.

Morale may be low

UGA does have 'some' talent, they're just not getting coached.

I live in Atlanta and am surrounded (coworkers,family) by UGA fans. They are turning on their head coach very quickly. After losing talent like Stafford and Moreno they should understand you are likely to take a step back. A year ago Mark Richt was Mr. Universe!

Morale may be low

No

Yes

No

Do tell.

OK, then.

Eh? Per the "experts" (read: Scout), UGA has been ranked in the top six nationally in recruting four out of the last five years. Granted, with Stafford and Moreno leaving there was bound to be dropoff in production, but that doesn't mean the talent cupboard is (anywhere close to) bare. And I'm guessing CMR has more than 75 scholarship players on hand.

Yes, the same Scout that proclaimed Joe T, Cox, and Blake Barnes to be elite level QB's?

Our talent level has dropped considerably. It is more than enough to win the SEC with good coaching but not as high as it was during Richt's tenure where we could probably win some big games with average coaching. Those days are gone.

Our problems have little to do with Stafford/Moreno leaving as we got to 0 SECCG's with them. The problems are internal and massive.

Willie told the team he is leaving at the end of the year. THANK GOD.

Richt's got next year to turn this ship around (with a RS Freshman at QB) or else....he will be out....and people don't believe that on the outside but I can promise you that from JUST WHAT I SEE....the support is there.

We have seen how far this program has dropped both on the outside (record wise) and inside (off the field)

Morale may be low

No

Yes

No

Do tell.

OK, then.

Our talent level has dropped considerably. It is more than enough to win the SEC with good coaching but not as high as it was during Richt's tenure where we could probably win some big games with average coaching. Those days are gone.

No offense, but the bolded part is why we don't want to hear the doomsday approach from you. Yes, UGA has a lot of issues they're dealing with right now. However, as you said, you have the talent available to win the SEC - if it was being coached properly. I like where (I think) our team is headed the next couple of years, but right now our cupboard is on the bare side and I don't think that we (yet) have the depth of talent to win the SEC, even with good coaching. Hopefully that will change in another couple years. For UGA the talent is there, it's just not being coached all that well. For us, I don't think coaching is the issue (maybe some on D), but we need more talent.

Morale may be low

No

Yes

No

Do tell.

OK, then.

No offense, but the bolded part is why we don't want to hear the doomsday approach from you. Yes, UGA has a lot of issues they're dealing with right now. However, as you said, you have the talent available to win the SEC - if it was being coached properly. I like where (I think) our team is headed the next couple of years, but right now our cupboard is on the bare side and I don't think that we (yet) have the depth of talent to win the SEC, even with good coaching. Hopefully that will change in another couple years. For UGA the talent is there, it's just not being coached all that well. For us, I don't think coaching is the issue (maybe some on D), but we need more talent.

You may not want to hear it but I am simply telling you the way it is. The talent both on the lines and ESPECIALLY in the Secondary is lacking. We have 1 QB in Aaron Murray that is SEC caliber and a slew of young WR's that are questionable at best. We have LB's who not named Curran who couldn't cover or tackle to save their life. The list goes on......outside of Houston, the DL has been embarrassing most of this year with Owens and Atkins (who sits now most of the time).

But then again, you could always enlighten me on the talent....maybe I (and many UGA fans) are missing all of this talent that we see play every weekend.

Morale may be low

No

Yes

No

Do tell.

OK, then.

You may not want to hear it but I am simply telling you the way it is. The talent both on the lines and ESPECIALLY in the Secondary is lacking. We have 1 QB in Aaron Murray that is SEC caliber and a slew of young WR's that are questionable at best. We have LB's who not named Curran who couldn't cover or tackle to save their life. The list goes on......outside of Houston, the DL has been embarrassing most of this year with Owens and Atkins (who sits now most of the time).

But then again, you could always enlighten me on the talent....maybe I (and many UGA fans) are missing all of this talent that we see play every weekend.

I'm sure you probably realize this, but pretty much everything you said could be applied to Auburn as well, just change the names.

Right, which has been my point for years in stating that fans of teams in that are doing well in the SEC are always over-stating how far ahead they are talent wise

AU has talent. AU could win the West next year much like Bama did in their 2nd year with a new coach when people thought their talent was down.

There is no HUGE GAP between the top teams and most middle-of-the-road record teams, imo.

It's a puzzling situation to be sure. Year end and year out, Georgia has had recruiting classes ranked in the top 10 and they certainly can't claim to have a depth or talent problem.....yet....this team has gone south big time. It has to be coaching, whether it's at the top or the assistants. If Richt doesn't do something, he's gonna lose control of the ship just like Tuberville. I just hope he doesn't find the problem before this Saturday. WDE!

IMO Richt has repreatedly proven he's one of the 5 best college level HCs. Even Tubbs, w/ winning records against media darlings Meyer (read: Tebow) & Saban, struggled against Richt.

It's a puzzling situation to be sure. Year end and year out, Georgia has had recruiting classes ranked in the top 10 and they certainly can't claim to have a depth or talent problem.....yet....this team has gone south big time. It has to be coaching, whether it's at the top or the assistants. If Richt doesn't do something, he's gonna lose control of the ship just like Tuberville. I just hope he doesn't find the problem before this Saturday. WDE!

I'm worried because both of these teams have a habit of playing well to salvage an otherwise poor season by beating the other. See Ga. wins in 1970, 1986, the streak-breaking tie in 1994 and the big upset in 2006. Check out the Auburn wins in 1942, 1999 and 2005. Saving grace for us is that most of these big wins have come on the opponent's field.

The visitor wins about 65% of the Auburn/Georgia games and this year we need a win as bad as Georgia does, so I think we win Saturday.

It's cool.

Half our team was out partying last night in downtown Athens getting wasted per like a bunch of people.

We are preparing quite hard for AU.

I'm sure many UGA fans will be partying at the end of the season because CWM is leaving. :P

As much as I'd like to look ahead to Bama, I'm not taking UGA lightly. We've lost to them 3 years in a row now, so taking them lightly is the last thing AU should do if they want to win and help their bowl status.

Archived